Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins

Old 07-04-2022, 09:36 AM

Default Waves SoundShifter: a forgotten gem

Soundshifter is 17 years old, and I've given it zero attention. I recently got it when upgrading my Waves bundle and HOLY MOLY - what have I been doing all these years? It's fantastic!

Not only is it surprisingly good in real time, you get rubber-band graphics versions for offline work (with waveform overlay) and it is available in TC/E. It processes in about a fifth of the time of X-Form and sounds better. And its always on sale for $30.

I was looking to buy something to replace TC/E X-Form for when I quit the support plan next year, and I had it all along. A forgotten gem.

PT 2024 Ultimate; W11 Pro; Ryzen 9 7900; 64gb RAM; RME Babyface; UAD Quad Satellite USB; GTX 1050i
Macbook Air M2; 24gb RAM
Old 07-04-2022, 10:32 AM

Default Re: Waves SoundShifter: a forgotten gem

This happens a lot when you buy bundles of plugins. I always end up using a few of them, and then a year or so down the road I'll have a couple free days and be like "I wonder what this does"

This happens all the time with Waves, Komplete, and the PA Mega bundle.

It's always cool to find something amazing that you didn't even know you had.

If anyone is buying Waves plugins, this link will save you 10% as long as you haven't used it previously.

In the past Waves would let people use the Referral links as many times as they wanted, but they now limit people to using it once.

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 07-04-2022, 10:35 PM

literally one of the first I goto when I need to do some pitch stuff.
Almost every plugin
Old 07-05-2022, 01:51 AM

Back in the Pro Tools 8 days I had Pitch n Time, which was great. However, the pricing is crazy and even my upgrade price to v3 is five times the cost of SoundShifter. It has to be worth a try.
Old 08-03-2022, 04:22 AM

I recently did a Pitch and Time algorithm test in Logic, not ProTools unfortunately.

Anyway, I tested it alongside other pitch shifting plugins I had as well as Logic's Flex engine, and its older Pitch & Time, as well as exporting externally to RX. That Soundshifter rated high on my test.

All these years later and its still one of the best options, providing you select the appropriate algorithm. Interestingly RX only faired better by a little in some of my tests, compared against Flex and in some cases Soundshifter. But you could argue that the cumbersome workflow of going in and out of the DAW possibly outweighs the small gains attained.

Workflow is extremely important.