Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-20-2012, 12:57 AM

Default Re: Questions about the hardware needed for Pro Tools 10 HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiegel View Post
I am having a really hard time getting my PT 10 system to recognize my 003 Rack. Any tips? I'm running a brand spankin new MBP w/ Mountain Lion, and a fresh install of Pro Tools 10.

Please help!
When I used a Digi same as you I had lots of problems getting to work properly BUT.
It was because I didnt follow the power up and down correctly.
Try reading the manual to learn the way AVID recommends turning on and off your system. After I learned that I didn't have near as many problems.

Another thing is when you power up . everything has to be all off to start. Don't just turn on your dig and expect it to work properly when your MBP is already on .
WITH EVERYTHING OFF
turn on all external devices such as pre,s if you have them , then turn on your digi , now your MBP , before you launch PT go into your MAC system prefs and make sure the DIGI is selected as your sound device. if it is great.
( powering up correctly should automatically set digi as your sound device)

Point being I had a difficult time as well until I learnt that start up and shut down was not just a ,
screw it ,i will do it my way suggestion , its really the only way it works without hassle .

Follow the instructions
Trust me everybody here will answer any question or problem you have but if people start to think you just ask for the answer with out actually trying to learn it yourself , eventually people will get tiered of answering you.
Dont take that the wrong way, its just how it goes.

Have a problem GOOGLE IT FIRST . or better yet put that instruction booklet in your pocket and READ IT then read it again.
If your just starting with PT or any D,A,W your manual should never be farther away then you can reach .
My 1000 page HD8 reference guide has been on my desk since the day I got it a few years ago , I bet it will be there for a few more !

FIND YOUR MANUAL, YOU GOTS SUM BOOK LEARNEN TO DUE
Old 10-21-2012, 11:27 AM

2 things for newbies on this: 1-the hardware(003, Mbox, whatever) needs a separate driver install, and 2-holding the N key while opening Pro Tools will take you directly to the Audio Engine window so you can select the interface (if it doesn't do that by default).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 10-22-2012, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacchus40 View Post
read my sig.. top line.. thats what 8 channels in, 6 pre-amps, and full monitoring system in a box looks like...
with a little guitar fun tossed in for kicks... lol
its expandable of course... 16x16 is my goal..
Ok Bacchus40....I need to catch up with you sir
Old 10-22-2012, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
2 things for newbies on this: 1-the hardware(003, Mbox, whatever) needs a separate driver install, and 2-holding the N key while opening Pro Tools will take you directly to the Audio Engine window so you can select the interface (if it doesn't do that by default).
Yep, I've been researching some of the audio interfaces so I can't wait to get started with my new hobby.
Old 10-22-2012, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
Using HD software without at least an HD core card will mean you get no TDM plugins(which will be DOA when 11 rolls out anyway) so I don't see that as a big issue(was much more important with less-powerful computers from years gone by). I assume there are some other minor things you will lose, but I don't know what they are(and don't miss them). What you DO get with HD software and an ASIO interface is; all the features of the CPTK(a $2000 add-on), plus input monitoring per track(very handy for my needs) and those are well worth it(to me). I have a bit more affection for my 003 as its the controller version, and there is(to my way of thinking) a certain elegance with how well the 003 integrates(other 3rd party boxes often require some kind of routing/monitoring utility which I don't need). I do all my tracking at the 64 buffer setting and rarely even hear a mention about latency(I know which plugins to NOT use while tracking and keep ADC off until its time to mix). Sure, the 003 may not have the best sounding converters(but I defy anyone to name a song that WOULD have been a hit if only it was recorded thru netter converters) but my "money" channels bypass the 003 A>D anyway(Using a Focusrite ISA-428 w/digital card for my important 8 channels). If all you need is a few inputs, then I agree there are better choices(sonically), but if you will be bypassing with a lightpipe and/or SPDIF path, a used 003 is still a pretty solid choice(and a bargain if you shop around) The Focusrite firewire boxes are a great 3rd party option and RME is generally considered way better(but a bit more $$).

Great input Albee1952. I want to thank everyone for there input. I've learned so much just from this thread alone!
Old 10-22-2012, 10:15 AM

bacchus40, how do you like the UA 4-710D Four-Channel Tone-Blending (tube) Mic Pre?

I'm considering one, particularly with the special they have that comes with a UAD-2 QUAD Core DSP Accelerator.

ASUS Sabertooth, Intel i7 3820 3.6Ghz
32 GB 1600Mhz Corsair RAM
SSD 500GB Samsung
WIN 10 64bit
Old 10-22-2012, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhatter View Post
Ok Bacchus40....I need to catch up with you sir

hahah.. yeah what can i say, i've been holding out for years trying to get my hands on a rig like this... im' pretty damn happy with it..

also, with regards to my 4-710d, yes i love it very much... extremely clean converters... i have it slaved to my HD omni so that probably has a nice effect on it... the tubes sound incredible... recently did a recording at my home studio, Cello, i was amazed at how clean and full and punchy the recordings are... i'm hoping to take the outs from my 11R and patch 'em in to my system via these pre-amps as they sound really great...

easy to use, easy to plug in... plenty of great features... i even used the compression on a bass track... sounds wonderful...

I can def. recommend this unit!... zero issues thus far.!