Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Win)

Old 02-23-2022, 08:10 PM

Default Omni and Computer Upgrade. HDX Or carbon? Xeon or i9. please help

Unfortunately I can't make a decision. Stay with the Omni HD and stay on HD native? go carbon? Upgrade the Omni to an HDX card?

Running on an old 4 core xeon W3520 with a mixed out 12 gig of ram on that computer and thngs just don't work well anymore. I won't waste my time even installing superior 3 drums as it just won't work. Memory maxes so easy, Pro tools doesn't playback sometimes, and YouTube crashes it sometimes and it's taking forever to load pro tools and all plugins. I should have put Windows 10 when I had the opportunity. But even so I don't think things would work much better. I'm still on 12 HD. Back when things were said to end and to to a new pro tools I said I would never upgrade anything again because I caught the last great deal on the 10-11-12 HD thing. So why am I here having to go through this nonsense?

I am however able to have acess to a Dell power edge R740 server machine but that's gonna run a good 5 grand (although it's a massive discount from what 15G or 20G it would normally sell for with the used company offload I found. It has a dual gold Xeon running at 3.7 gig per brain.

But to save money and make a self-delegated build in a Chebro rackmount, an i9 is told by the consumer grade computer store to out perform the xeon stuff. And all that Won't be more than about 2.5G with everything I need, less than 2 if I get a used Nvidia quando and some memory off the same source offering me the Power edge.

What is for sure is I need a new computer.
But then comes the software matters - has much changed since 12? Is there really a need to go up to the latest ultimate? Is there a cheap way to do it? Because everything this avid company sells is whey overpriced. Where do they think we have this kind of money to drop 10 to 15 G on a daw? Do they think money grows on trees?

Finally is there some resource maybe somebody could tell me that compares past pro tools versions as to what has changed till today's competing the version specified?

Lots of matters here.

Finally, the courses I took, I think are obsolete and I forget most stuff from back in the day. I don't know what to do really. And if HDX is redundant overkill.

Sent from my BBE100-2 using Tapatalk
Old 02-24-2022, 08:18 AM

Default Re: Omni and Computer Upgrade. HDX Or carbon? Xeon or i9. please help

This one is easy. If you are staying on Windows, then HDX is your choice as Carbon runs AVB and there still are no AVB drivers for Windows(sadly). As for i9 vs XEON, if you are comparing similar speeds, XEON probably has a slight edge(but an i9 is no slouch). If budget is tight, take a look at an off-lease HP Z820. Those can run dual 3.5GHz XEON 6-core. I think they max out at 128GB of RAM and are built like tanks(1100 watt PSU's). Mine came with 12 cores(3.5GHz), 64GB RAM, nVidia Quadro graphics, DVD burner and a 500GB Samsung SSD and cost me $1100 shipped to my door. I added a USB3 card for more ports and a Behringer USB-SPDIF adapter(for all non-Pro Tools audio) and swapped the graphics card(so I could run 3 screens). Installed my HDN card and recorded full bands over the next 18 months with it. This machine is on Avid's approved list, so take a look at the setup instructions as HDN/HDX cards need to go into specific slots.

This also begs the question; do you NEED HDX? All my tracking was done at the 64 buffer and my usual tracking template had around 36 audio tracks, 8 stereo AUX tracks(with reverbs), 4 mono AUX tracks(talkback), a few VCA's and a MASTER track. Plenty of low-latency plugins and 6 sends feeding headphones. This was with HDN card fed by 2x192 IO's and 2xHD IO's). Of course, your needs may be different

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 02-24-2022, 08:22 AM

I see you already found this thread:
https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=417534

Old 02-25-2022, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
This one is easy. If you are staying on Windows, then HDX is your choice as Carbon runs AVB and there still are no AVB drivers for Windows(sadly). As for i9 vs XEON, if you are comparing similar speeds, XEON probably has a slight edge(but an i9 is no slouch). If budget is tight, take a look at an off-lease HP Z820. Those can run dual 3.5GHz XEON 6-core. I think they max out at 128GB of RAM and are built like tanks(1100 watt PSU's). Mine came with 12 cores(3.5GHz), 64GB RAM, nVidia Quadro graphics, DVD burner and a 500GB Samsung SSD and cost me $1100 shipped to my door. I added a USB3 card for more ports and a Behringer USB-SPDIF adapter(for all non-Pro Tools audio) and swapped the graphics card(so I could run 3 screens). Installed my HDN card and recorded full bands over the next 18 months with it. This machine is on Avid's approved list, so take a look at the setup instructions as HDN/HDX cards need to go into specific slots.

This also begs the question; do you NEED HDX? All my tracking was done at the 64 buffer and my usual tracking template had around 36 audio tracks, 8 stereo AUX tracks(with reverbs), 4 mono AUX tracks(talkback), a few VCA's and a MASTER track. Plenty of low-latency plugins and 6 sends feeding headphones. This was with HDN card fed by 2x192 IO's and 2xHD IO's). Of course, your needs may be different
Thanks bud. I will look for this machine. I hope that psa doesn't eat a lot of electricity. But seems like a heavy duty machine.
Ya just HDN for me prolly can go up to PTU from HD12.
I wonder if I can sell any of my old pro tools licences and transfer them.

Old 02-25-2022, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post

Although I am finding nothing remotely close to the deal you got on a dual 6 3.5 with the 500 gig SSd and 64g ram. Where did you get such a cheap deal?

Old 05-04-2022, 03:16 AM

I have been running an HP Z4 workstation with HDX for the last 3 years.

AVID specifies and tests this machine to work with Protools. All the particulars are on AVID's site.

This has been the most reliable Protools machine I've been on.

I'm sure you can find these used now for a reasonable price.

All the best in your search.
Old 05-04-2022, 01:00 PM

IIRC, the eBay seller was Digital2000. Prices can fluctuate depending on supply and demand. The HP z620 is another option and seem quite cheap at the moment(a friend just bought a dual 8-core for less than $500).