Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-11-2010, 01:16 AM

Default pro tools not recognising audio input, cannot record audio!

hi there,

this seems like a simple problem but i have tried everything and can't get it to work. i am wanting to record tracks from an mpc2000xl into pro tools as audio files. i am recording stereo tracks as certain plugins i want to use only work in stereo tracks in the new pro tools.

the L and R outs from my MPC are connected to the line input on input 1 and 2 on the mbox 2. when i press play on the mpc, i hear the sound come through my monitors which are connected to the outs on the mbox 2. here's the weird thing, no matter how much i turn the input gains up on the mbox 2, and no matter how distorted the sound becomes due to this, the red peak light on the mbox 2 will not light up.

so i create a new stereo audio track, record enable it. instead of showing input on the green, yellow, and red volume fader thing on the track, as soon as i click on the record enable, both the L and R on the red yellow and green light up and sit just below -3 (just below the red). normally this flickers up and down with the track that's playing, rather than just going and sitting just below the red. i then press record and play on the transport window and it starts, but it does not record any sound.

i have checked the i/o for the track is in 1-2, and out 1-2. i have gone into my system preferences in mac osx and checked input and output are both mbox 2 which is connected perfectly. i just can't seem to work out what's going wrong.

i hope to god it's something simple and someone can help me here, cause i've just spent a fortune on this equipment only to run into this problem. i can even sync the mpc to pro tools without any hassle (and that's usually the problem people have), but can't do something as simple as record some audio into the track.

any help would be hugely appreciated!

thanks in advance

james
Old 05-11-2010, 04:17 AM

Default Re: pro tools not recognising audio input, cannot record audio!

Check your cables and connections.
Sounds like some kind of shortcut with the -3 db on the meter. Like if you accidentally plugged the source end of the cables into a input instdead of an output or something like that.
The strange thing is that you are hearing the mpc, are you shure that you are hearing it thru the mbox and its mix knob?
Any recent changes in your hardware setup, cabling and routing?
Old 05-11-2010, 10:59 AM
Avid

This sounds like a problem that can be easily solved by trashing preferences - details can be found in the General Troubleshooting thread.
Old 05-12-2010, 04:11 AM

sweet as - sorted. cheers!
Old 05-13-2010, 02:32 AM

oh damn. so i fixed it last night and recorded some stuff through into protools fine. got home today and now every time i play the mpc through the audio track it peaks like crazy. even turning the mpc down until i can barely hear what's coming through it its still peaking in protools. not on the mbox 2, the red lights are not flashing but in protools its through the roof. any suggestions on how to fix this now? just when i finally thought i had it, another issue!

any help is appreciated again, i've searched for this on the forum but haven't been able to find a thread with any advice.

must be a simple fix, thanks in advance to anyone who gives a hand!
Old 05-13-2010, 12:00 PM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_J_stylez View Post
oh damn. so i fixed it last night and recorded some stuff through into protools fine. got home today and now every time i play the mpc through the audio track it peaks like crazy. even turning the mpc down until i can barely hear what's coming through it its still peaking in protools. not on the mbox 2, the red lights are not flashing but in protools its through the roof. any suggestions on how to fix this now? just when i finally thought i had it, another issue!

any help is appreciated again, i've searched for this on the forum but haven't been able to find a thread with any advice.

must be a simple fix, thanks in advance to anyone who gives a hand!
Have you tried trashing preferences again? If that works - are you possibly letting your computer go to sleep? Or plugging-unplugging the Mbox 2 while the computer is on? If so - that could be causing the corruption. Our devices don't support sleep mode and you should only connect or disconnect the Mbox 2 while the computer is off.
Old 05-01-2017, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiTechSupt View Post
Have you tried trashing preferences again? If that works - are you possibly letting your computer go to sleep? Or plugging-unplugging the Mbox 2 while the computer is on? If so - that could be causing the corruption. Our devices don't support sleep mode and you should only connect or disconnect the Mbox 2 while the computer is off.
I can't record audio because protools doesn't recognize M-audio keystation49, tried everything, unstall and uninstall 6 times already, is there anybody from AVID?