Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S1, S3, Dock and Control App
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-26-2022, 02:06 PM

Default plugin names on S1 display

I think I probably know the answer to this already but in the spirit of 'it never hurts to ask' is there a way to rename how plugins are shown on the S1 when scrolling through them? Like maybe a step up from the (super useful) custom mapping feature to add custom names too?

Especially now that Pro Tools Studio has surround capabilities, my plugin lists are just crazy long and often incomprehensible on the S1. As an extreme example, on the S1 H-Reverb by Waves shows up as 7 different plugins: H-Reverb, H-Rvrb=2, H-Rvrb=3, H-Rvrb=4, etc... From the names shown on the S1 I have no idea what is different from one to the next. Or another example, the UA API Vision strip shows as "APIVisin" (why not "API Vision"? there's plenty of room in the display!)

My guess is this is something controlled by the plugin manufacturer rather than Pro Tools/Eucon, but if anyone knows a way to change this stuff I'd love to hear it!
Old 05-26-2022, 02:54 PM

Default Re: plugin names on S1 display

Quote:
Originally Posted by swethington View Post
My guess is this is something controlled by the plugin manufacturer rather than Pro Tools/Eucon, but if anyone knows a way to change this stuff I'd love to hear it!
This.
It's up to the plugin manufacturer. Complain to them (they can change the metadata.) Nothing a user can do.

(Just like custom maps -- we can now change the location/mapping to controls but we can't change the names of them or what items belong to. That's still up to the plugin maker)
Old 05-26-2022, 03:30 PM

Default Re: plugin names on S1 display

Yeah that's what I figured. Looks like I've got some emails to write to some plugin developers! Seems like it would be so far down their list of priorities... but again, it never hurts to ask.

One thought I had about a way Avid could implement a workaround for this (sort of) would be to extend the ability to add favorite plugins to not just the top level plugin list but to the individual categories/manufacturer 'folders' as well. So you could have a small selection of go-to EQs or reverbs or whatever at the top of the individual category lists - in addition to the main list of favorites - rather than having to scroll through the whole list in a certain category to find what you want.

That wouldn't make the names any easier to understand, but with the H-Reverb example at least I could choose the one version I know I want to use and put it at the top of the list of reverb plugins for easy access. The basic functionality already exists in PT so it doesn't seem like it would be too difficult to implement (says someone with zero knowledge about software development).