Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools

Old 04-28-2022, 09:35 AM

Default Re: The end of perpetual licenses

I've always bought perpetual, can't stand subscription models. I was using 12.5.2 with no issues for around 5 yrs. Bought a new mac pro and PT Ultimate perpetual last November. I'll use this until my system explodes, then I'll buy a refurbished mac and continue to use Ultimate for as long as I can (at least another 5yrs). Hopefully by then they'll bring back perpetual, if not I'm looking for a new DAW.
Old 04-28-2022, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffro View Post
What software version and hardware do you currently have?

Pro Tools Ultimate is still needed for HDX and HD Native hardware, same as before the changes yesterday. That can be a subscription (now included as part of the Pro Tools Flex bundle) or perpetual license. If you own a perpetual Pro Tools HD/Ultimate license with an expired Software Updates + Support Plan you should be able to upgrade that.
Nope, I'm even more ancient than that. I'm still using PT 7.4 on a G5 Mac, HD-2, 192 IO (although I use external A-D converters) and a D-Command 24 channel. Knock on wood, the system has been rock solid for many years, and since my studio is private and I don't need to worry about compatibility, it's been all I need. But if the G5 and/or the D-Command dies, I'll have to do something. Heck, the G5 is so old it uses PCI-X, not even PCIe. I was prepared to pony up for an HDX card and a perpetual license (not to mention a new computer), but I'm not prepared to pay $1000 each year for life...
Old 04-28-2022, 07:48 PM

im sure perpetual now is fine as they can keep buying the yearly update plan without surrendering perpetual, but when do those phase out as well? It makes no sense to stop selling perpetual, but then all of a sudden perpetual owners who already had it can still buy a plan?

It sounds like yearly updates will also eventually phase out, if perpetual is being stopped, why not stop perpetual users all together if avid wants to get rid of perpetual outright? It all just seems like a slow burn so that eventually perpetual plans can get phased out as well. It really does not make sense.

Something is being hidden, and that obviously is perpetual update plans will no longer be buyable probably gone in 2 years or so to force subscription.

It just makes no sense to eliminate one half, when you obviously want to get rid of it (the point of removing hte option to buy in the first place) then act like perpetual is still supported when its obviously just there to let users down slow about the ultimate plan. Shady stuff, I already predicted perpetual going away and this just seems obvious whats gonna happen. You bring back re-instatements as well to ease the outrage until one day, the perpetual is fully gone.
Old 04-29-2022, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanrichard View Post
Effective as of today? Has this been common knowledge? Otherwise that's insanely short notice, though existing stock can still be sold. But I can't even imagine working with a product without a perpetual license. Maybe that's just me.
I feel the same. No to any and all plugin subscription packages as well.
Windows 11 23H2, Intel i9-14900KS, MSI PRO Z690-A D4, 64 GB DDR4 4000MHz/CL18, Corsair HX1000, 1TB M.2 PCIe 4.0, 5TB M.2 PCIe 3.0, 2TB QVO, 2x6TB WD Black, Noctua NH-D15, Fractal Design Define R6 + RTX4070 - PT Ultimate 2024.3

Used to be/ Spare/ DAPS: Mac Pro 4,1 upgraded to 5,1 3,46Ghz 12 Core, 96GB RAM, OS SSD and Sata3 Audio SSD, macOS Mojave, PT Ultimate 2021.10, DAPS 3.7.1

HDX2, MTRX Studio & DAD MOM, HD I/O 16x16, Apogee AD/DA 16X/X-HD and ICON D-Command ES.
Old 04-29-2022, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rampartthemovie View Post
im sure perpetual now is fine as they can keep buying the yearly update plan without surrendering perpetual, but when do those phase out as well? It makes no sense to stop selling perpetual, but then all of a sudden perpetual owners who already had it can still buy a plan?

It sounds like yearly updates will also eventually phase out, if perpetual is being stopped, why not stop perpetual users all together if avid wants to get rid of perpetual outright? It all just seems like a slow burn so that eventually perpetual plans can get phased out as well. It really does not make sense.

Something is being hidden, and that obviously is perpetual update plans will no longer be buyable probably gone in 2 years or so to force subscription.

It just makes no sense to eliminate one half, when you obviously want to get rid of it (the point of removing hte option to buy in the first place) then act like perpetual is still supported when its obviously just there to let users down slow about the ultimate plan. Shady stuff, I already predicted perpetual going away and this just seems obvious whats gonna happen. You bring back re-instatements as well to ease the outrage until one day, the perpetual is fully gone.
The part that really doesn’t make sense to me is reinstating the reinstatements (if you will). They’re ENCOURAGING perpetual license holders not to go to subscription, but to keep their perpetual licenses current. How does that square with anything? Really weird. So divining a master plan here is pretty tough.

And something has been bugging me at the back of my brain. I seem to recall 6 or 7 years ago there was a time - maybe a year or two - where it was impossible to by a PT HD perpetual license. It wasn’t announced as a scheme, but rather a by-product of moving from hardware to software I think. Anyway, just reminded me that there is precedent for closing out perpetual license-holders.

PT 2024 Ultimate; W11 Pro; Ryzen 9 7900; 64gb RAM; RME Babyface; UAD Quad Satellite USB; GTX 1050i
Macbook Air M2; 24gb RAM
Old 04-29-2022, 01:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skwaidu View Post
I feel the same. No to any and all plugin subscription packages as well.
I'm with you on that. It is not a hit on Avid; I just feel on edge about the idea of any subscriptions and avoid those companies.

This is why I only use Trigger from Slate that I bought early on.
Old 04-29-2022, 03:04 AM

I kinda think the reinstatement of reinstatement is them being some bit decent to those of us who do have perpetual licences, but the down side is there will be no more, all new users will be on subscription so won't know any better sort of..
Old 04-29-2022, 03:30 AM

I really feel like its been glossed over that the price of subbing to Ultimate just went up $200/year from $799 to $999. Lots of people on here on perpetual so aren’t even thinking of that but if you were subbing before the new tiers you’re far more screwed. Perpetual users are whining for no real reason..
Old 04-29-2022, 03:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by basehead617 View Post
I really feel like its been glossed over that the price of subbing to Ultimate just went up $200/year from $799 to $999. Lots of people on here on perpetual so aren’t even thinking of that but if you were subbing before the new tiers you’re far more screwed. Perpetual users are whining for no real reason..
Perpetual users are whining because they know that they will be screwed in the future.

I think it's pretty scandalous that Avid delivered a late release (compared to previous release intervals) with no real new features, but they've been putting huge amounts of effort into a new way of screwing their current and future user base.

Dominic

Last edited by dominicperry; 04-29-2022 at 04:03 AM.
Old 04-29-2022, 03:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by basehead617 View Post
Ultimate users are screwed whether it's perpetual or subs.

How quickly we adjust to the new normal - perpetual users have a perpetual license. No other company charges $400 just for minor upgrades and "priority support". $400 is a helluva whack even with significant new features - we don't have any.

I don't want to rag on support, but I've all but given up using them. One very kind and dear soul spent almost a year with me tracking down an issue with Field Recorder (when matching by timecode, it matches all audio already in the project as well as in the specified folder location, which is an absolute nightmare). Eventually he sheepishly returned to tell me that he was told it was "by design". He agreed with me that it was nuts, and that was the end of that.

For $400 pa.

PT 2024 Ultimate; W11 Pro; Ryzen 9 7900; 64gb RAM; RME Babyface; UAD Quad Satellite USB; GTX 1050i
Macbook Air M2; 24gb RAM

Last edited by noiseboyuk; 04-29-2022 at 04:31 AM.