Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started

Old 04-20-2022, 01:12 PM

Default issue with mbox and pro-tools

Ive been using Mbox 2 Mini with Pro-Tools LE 8.03
when I upgraded to Mavericks (bought new Mac Mini/late 2012 version) so I cannot downgrade to Mountain Lion- the sound starts deteriorating after recording/playback several minutes, in all recording applications and i-tunes.
it seems to be related to my mbox 2 mini, as if i use headphones direct to mac mini it doesnt seem to happen. So, I bought a used Mbox (came with pro-tools 6.7) I really dont have to install pro-tools 6.7 in order to use this mbox do I?
When i goto load Pro-Tools it doesnt recognize the mbox.
I want to use this Mbox with my Pro-Tools 8.03, will it work? it did come with a usb key which im assuming is some sort of i-lok scenario, not sure.
If this doesnt work, Im betting my Reason 7 will recognize this mbox, and I'll start doing all my tracking in Reason with this mbox then switch back to mbox 2 mini for mastering in Pro-Tools. (which i might add would be a great hassle).
Old 04-20-2022, 02:11 PM

Default Re: issue with mbox and pro-tools

Pro Tools 8LE on Mavericks yikes. Quite a spread there from an officially supported configuration. And Mavericks just was one of my least favorite macOS releases, including it had USB audio issues... which you should google for online. What exact version of Mavericks?
What exact driver version did you install? They known to address any issues on Mavericks (I have no idea, but you should check).

Regardless of what is going on here it is well past time to load Pro Tools 8LE onto the raft to Valhalla.

Pro Tools compatibility information is here: https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/ar...tibility-Chart

Mbox 2 Mini driver compatibility info is here:
https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/ar...2-Mini-Drivers

But then instead of going forward to something that is officially supported you went backwards to Pro Tools 6??? And an Mbox? Like a real original Mbox? That ain't going to work on anything.

I would suggest you stop wasting time and get on a modern DAW compatible with your computer. If you don't' want to pay the Avid annual subscription or upgrade taxes then here is no end of *fantastic* DAWS out there, Garageband, Logic Pro, Reaper, and many more.

Give up on these ancient not very good Avid consumer interfaces. Avid got its ass kicked in the low-end consumer market and ran away--for a reason. Mbox2 family is worthless, beyond end of support life, no driver updates, you could not give this stuff away.

Focusrite 2i2 is the current go to starter interface. And likely better ongoing support than Avid provided for their low-end consumer stuff. On Mavericks you can try out another DAW with the Mbox 2 Mini or just use build-in output to at least play around with the DAW. If you want to stick with Pro Tools, you could upgrade the macOS version on your iMac and start a free one month trial of Pro Tools 2020.12. But then take time understand the costs and whether you are buying a subscription or perpetual license. Your old LE software is sadly worth nothing as an upgrade/crossgrade. And whatever you go to you should be looking at what OS compatibility needs are for drivers and DAW software and try to stick to what is officially supported by those vendors. And upgrading/sticking with Pro Tools or any other DAW which is high cost or subscription based is problematic as with the transition to Apple Silicon I expect many vendors will stop issuing updates/new releases over the next couple of years. You are kinda stuck with a middle aged computer, too new to run old software well and too old for the change underway. Factor that in as you pick what to do (e.g. you might find a used Pro Tools 2020.x license and upgrade the iMac to the latest macOS and decide to leave it there untouched for years to come... or look for a new Apple Silicon Mac and give up on the Intel iMac).
Old 04-20-2022, 04:57 PM

Agree on all points If budget does not allow for a newer version of....anything, Reaper is free to try and cheap to buy(like $60?) and Cakewalk-by-Bandlab(formerly known as SONAR) is totally free. Either of these DAW's are very capable with any kind of music production

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 04-20-2022, 05:31 PM

The original Mbox had a garbage driver and is not worth whatever hassle it would be. I don't know that it was supported beyond Pro Tools 7, can't recall. Listen to their advice.

PT9 at least would let you use any Core Audio interface.