Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools | Intro Discussion

Old 12-06-2016, 05:17 AM

Default Classroom Lab issues

Hey there,

I recently had my school board techs in to install Pro Tools First on all the machines in our classroom lab. #rocknroll

We're having an issue where students are creating their AVID and iLok accounts but then can't log in and startup crashes. They can log in on my laptop (Mac). I can log in on their machines (Windows) and then they are able to login after I log out when the program is already running.

Has anyone else run into this issue? Any solutions?

Thanks,
MW
Old 12-08-2016, 11:06 AM

Default Re: Classroom Lab issues

Pro Tools | First keeps a local cache of the Projects that are stored online. They are stored in the following directory ~/Documents/Pro Tools/Project Cache/. For each user that has been logged in on that machine, you will see a folder with a 22-digit encrypted name that contain the Project Files, also with a 22-digit name.
I would first delete those folders. They will be recreated when you log in to an Avid account and the Projects will be downloaded again.

In addition to that, in the ~/Library /Preferences/Avid/Project Locations/ is a file for each user account with the same 22-digit name that the folder has in the Documents folder.
You might want to delete that one too. Maybe something got corrupted.

BTW, I don't know if you are a teacher or a student at your school. If you need material to learn Pro Tools | First, I have written a comprehensive book "Pro Tools | First 12 - How it Works" that covers pretty much everything there is to know about that app. Because the free Pro Tools version has about 80% of the features of the full version, the book is also great learning tool for Pro Tools in general with lots of diagrams and graphics that makes it easy to learn.
http://DingDingMusic.com/
YouTube Channel Music Tech Explained https://YouTube.com/c/MusicTechExplained/
Old 12-09-2016, 10:29 AM

Hi Edgar,

Thanks very much for the detailed post. I appreciate your time. After a bunch of troubleshooting it appears the student didn't complete their iLok registration when creating their Avid account. The cache was created on their machine after I logged in and I believe they were able to log in based on it now being there. But they had a 0/0 project limit. Anyway, iLok account created and problem resolved.

I am a teacher and have been using Pro Tools for 10+ years but I will keep your book in mind as a recommendation for my students.

Thank you again,
Matt
Old 12-13-2016, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boombatty View Post
Hi Edgar,

I am a teacher and have been using Pro Tools for 10+ years but I will keep your book in mind as a recommendation for my students.

Thank you again,
Matt
Thanks, I appreciate it.
http://DingDingMusic.com/
YouTube Channel Music Tech Explained https://YouTube.com/c/MusicTechExplained/