Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-2003, 09:43 PM

Default G port serial midi timepiece AV OSX and 6.1

Hello Everyone,
I too have upgraded to 6.1 I have TDM mix plus
running on G4 dual 800 OSX 10.2.6

I downloaded both the midi driver and serial port
driver for OSX from Griffin.
Installed and could not get it to work
Im using a midi timepiece AV that is serial to My G4 gPort serial input
following the instructions given by griffin ect...
Still no midi... on the other hand The USB midi from M-AUDIO works great , just trying to save a few bucks here and not go USB midi just now....
IN fact the USB midi seems more accurate ,,, ??? is this true ?? Thanks in advance
Old 07-19-2003, 12:10 AM

Default Re: G port serial midi timepiece AV OSX and 6.1

USB is only 10 times faster [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
http://www.studio-techservices.com

าำ
[email protected]m
Mitch Berger Tech Services

We service ALL Avid products no Problem
HD192, 192, Omni, Control Surface, Pre, XMON, 192HD AD & DA / Accel Cards, Everything

ALL NEW HD192 AD -DA modification. the difference is incredible... no need to ship the entire unit , fast turn around

inquiry using link above
Repairs of SSL-Neve- Consoles and Repair ALL Modern & Vintage Gear
Old 07-19-2003, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by the dude:
USB is only 10 times faster [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">We are not here to discuss speed nor did he ask about speed. Either provide some helpful tip(s) or don't reply. USB may seem to be 10 times faster, but it is also 10 times more likely to fail than serial.

The first thing to do is disconnect all MIDI and serial devices and ensure you have followed the installation instructions to the T. Many people assume its got to be so easy and skip a step they may not feel is necessary and then wonder why the product does not work. Both the Stealth and Gport require that you install the device first, then the drivers in OS X. Restart the machine, go into System Preferences and Network and see if the new serial device shows up. If so, then install the MIDI driver. Reboot, then read the instructions about what to do next. There is a special application that comes with the MIDI drivers that requires you to select the serial port driver as the MIDI device. Again, all of this is in the instructions. Another thing I found out is both the g4port and the stealth port can use each others drivers insterchangibly. So if you cannot adequately get the griffin tech drivers to work, download the Stealth drivers from www.geethree.com and install them per the instructions. You should have no problems with your devices once installed per the instructions (that is if the devices are actually operational) [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

If you want to contact me directly, send me an email. This stuff is really simple if the instructions are followed to the T. It also keeps you from having to upgrade to USB Midi devices immediately. Yeah, I'll upgrade one day, but if I don't have to today and can get the same level of reliability, hey, why drop more dough for no reason right?
Old 07-19-2003, 01:43 PM

By my knowledge, Serial MIDI is not supported in OSX for PT6.x You should just get a new USB interface and keep on steppin'.
1- HDX
1 - Apogee Symphony Mk2 8x8
1 - HD 16x16 Interface
MOTU MTP/AV
------------------------------
Second System
Mac Pro 2013 3.5GHz 6-core Xeon E5-1650v2
32GB RAM
1 - HDX
1 - Avid Thunderbolt 3 Expansion Chassis
1 - HD 8X8 Interface

MARVINBASS Digital Audio, LLC
Ex PT Beta Tester
Woodland Hills, CA.
Old 07-19-2003, 01:46 PM

I was right, check this out:
http://www.digidesign.com/compato/osx/hd/midi.cfm
1- HDX
1 - Apogee Symphony Mk2 8x8
1 - HD 16x16 Interface
MOTU MTP/AV
------------------------------
Second System
Mac Pro 2013 3.5GHz 6-core Xeon E5-1650v2
32GB RAM
1 - HDX
1 - Avid Thunderbolt 3 Expansion Chassis
1 - HD 8X8 Interface

MARVINBASS Digital Audio, LLC
Ex PT Beta Tester
Woodland Hills, CA.
Old 07-19-2003, 01:52 PM

I said this the other day and I'll say it again. He did not ask what was supported, he asked what works. You folks kill me trying to be Digi. If he wants to call Digi and Digi say they dont support it fine. If you seriously think that all PT rigs of all the people on this board are supported you are fooling yourself.

Here's another person, that instead of just saying I don't know how to make that work, spouted off what was supported and not supported. It's just as easy to say, I don't know and let it go or don't comment at all if you can't provide help. This board is for supported and unsupported methods, just so you know. Digi at times has even stated the unsupported methods to do stuff with the disclaimer that it is not supported but they at least are some help. Next time just say "I don't know", you've been no help. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 07-19-2003, 02:10 PM

Marvin - that's absolutely not helpful. That response sounds one I would expect from someone at GC or Sweetwater.

Amen Andre, I posted the question about the Studio 5 in the other thread.
Thanks for the help - that's what I was looking for, something I missed durning the install process or other options to try. I'm going to try the stealth driver instead of the g4port and I'll give it another go to the T.
Thanks again.
Tripit
Old 07-19-2003, 02:12 PM

Thanks for the info , I guess I should be using the stealth software.

Ok now I will ask the second part of this question...
Is USB really faster ??? By how much ???

Just curious .
Old 07-19-2003, 04:01 PM

Yes, USB is "faster", but...

Basically, USB is a terrible protocol for realtime applications like MIDI and audio.

To get around it, each developer (Emagic, MOTU, Digi, etc.) has come up with their own form of "MIDI Time Stamping" (MotU's term). MIDI data is sent via USB to the inteface well in advance of when it is actually required. A time stamp tells the interface when to actually send the data out the MIDI port.

This can provide improved MIDI timing, although I can't comment personally since I'm still using a serial interface.

All the developers touted it as a "new feature for improved MIDI timing". While that's true, it was also necessary in order to overcome the shortcomings of USB.

The short answer: USB will probably be "better".

[img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img] Ray
Old 07-19-2003, 05:16 PM

Ok I tryed the serial stealth port w serial miditime piece AV and yeah it works ,
But the USB controller straight in to the mac
has a really good feel and better input/ feel timing...
Im using all softsynths at this time.
Thats my conclusion.

Thanks everyone.