Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Licensing & Accounts
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-22-2019, 06:24 PM

Default Perpetual Academic Has Been Killed

With all of the new pricing hoopla going on, it would appear that Avid have killed off perpetual licenses for academic versions of Pro Tools. I can see perpetual being offered for single user (non-academic) but for academic versions, only month-to-month (i.e. subscription) is being offered.

Maybe I'm missing something? If I am, please let me know!

I run an online music program here in Australia (vocational education courses) and we offer Pro Tools academic (vanilla) as part of the course fees. Moving forward, I'm honestly not sure how we're going to facilitate this for our students if its subscription only.

IMHO, this seems short-sighted considering that once students have completed their studies, you essentially have them "on the hook" for the foreseeable future.

Oh well. This is progress apparently :)
Old 11-25-2019, 11:12 AM

Default Re: Perpetual Academic Has Been Killed

this actually makes sense to me. Nobody needs a perpetual academic license because they aren't perpetually a academic.
Old 11-27-2019, 09:19 AM

Wow, I probably shouldn't be surprised but still am. There are many teachers and other kinds of educators, especially in poorer countries of Eastern and Southern Europe, who do very much benefit from those academic perpetual licenses. I have one and it's great because there is no penalty for reinstating lapsed plans and there was no price increase, still $99. Avid will keep doing whatever they can to make sure that there is less and less perpetual license holders in the wild.

Last edited by matthewmkb; 11-27-2019 at 09:42 AM.
Old 12-17-2019, 11:56 AM

If you are referring to Perpetual Licenses with Student/Teacher pricing, they were temporarily removed from the store page while the product was being converted from Boxed to Download.