Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-23-2007, 01:42 AM

Default recovered data has changed icons audio files that wont open

We recently had an old lacie drive go bad. got dropped one too many times or whatever.. not our fault but its for an important client.. drive had 200 GB of files.. a lot of stuff.. we took it to recovery and returned 80GB.. not bad.. among the recovered files were the ones we wanted.. and more... more than half retained their full file name.. so we know... but usually the icon for audio file is two red and blue waves. when we saw the icons that we had tried to save on the main computer they were black and white. but they still portrayed
37.6 MB.. like a full normal file... on the recovered data we see the same file size, but the icon is a blank paper with the corner folded over.. we try to import it to pro tools but it wont import.. i think it was recorded in logic but i doubt that matters.. its just audio... im sure the proper info is in there but we have to get the applications to recognize it.. we tried opening it in different apps, but it simply wont.. is it an extension problem? will restore fix it? how should i do it? i appreciate any help!
Old 06-23-2007, 11:16 AM

Default Re: recovered data has changed icons audio files that wont open

What file type were they AIF, WAV, sd2 ????

Rail
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Old 06-23-2007, 01:57 PM

Default Re: recovered data has changed icons audio files that wont o

The folded paper icon means the file type and the program that owns the file has been lost.

Try opening the files in Sound Hack. It's a free (Shareware) download if you do not have it. The file headers may have gotten lost or corrupt. Open the file and select "Change Header", and set it to whatever file type and sample rate your file was. Unfortunately you will have to do them one at a time. Maybe someone else may know of a batch processor way to do it.

Good luck.
Old 06-25-2007, 04:01 PM

it seems that most of them are sd2 files. in the info window we find that no sample rate or bit resolution info is available.. i tried changing the extensions and the generic icon changed ( im using mac os (10.4.9) the files tried o open in different applications but to no avail. i gotta get these files open.. there are tons of them but i will go though each one one by one if i need to.. HELP!! thanks
Old 06-25-2007, 05:38 PM

You can open them as RAW files in Soundhack and resave them. Do not save over them. You'll have to manually enter the sample rate and bit depth.

I have a free Windows app sdTwoWav which can do it as a batch process.

Rail
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••