Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)

Old 04-05-2020, 04:35 AM

Default Current state of thunderbolt 3 and HDX...

Well... it looks like existing Sonnet III owners might be s&%t out of luck when it comes to running HDX via TB3. Sonnet have recently updated their website to include the new HDX TB3 model of the III-D & III-R. Despite the updates, the tech docs continue to specifically state that the standard TB3 version of the III explicitly doesn't support HDX. It requires the HDX III model, and there isn't a HDX variation of the TB3 upgrade card available in the store.

Does anyone have any inside info on this? Or does this now indicate an expectation that old III's should just be turfed aside in favour of new ones for HDX to run via TB3?
Pro Tools Ultimate 2024.3. OSX 13.6.5. Win 10. HD Native. Lynx AES16e. Lynx Aurora 16. i9-13900KF. ASRock Z690 Steel Legend. 64GB Ram. AMD Vega 64. BM Decklink. Dolby Atmos Renderer 5.2. Trinnov D-Mon. D-Command.
Old 04-05-2020, 06:34 AM

Default Re: Current state of thunderbolt 3 and HDX...

And would it work over a TB2 to TB3 adapter?
Old 04-06-2020, 04:02 PM

Before this PT version, Sonnet thunderbolt 3 multi slot enclosures like the III D/R were not compatible with PT, you´would need to downgrade by removing the TB 3 card and installing the TB 2 add-on card and then using a TB3 to TB 2 adapter to work with it.

I have a client running such a configuration with HDX with no problem.

Apparently, now this PT version allows Sonnet TB 3 enclosures to be used with up to 3 HDX cards.

Why Sonnet did an HDX edition of the same enclosures (IIID/R) that was already shipping with TB 3 interface, is something that I don´t get it, but there´s probably a reason for it.

Paulo M

MAC Studio MAX M1_64 GB RAM_1TB SSD_MAC OS Ventura

Protools Studio 2024.3
Old 04-06-2020, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulo m View Post
Before this PT version, Sonnet thunderbolt 3 multi slot enclosures like the III D/R were not compatible with PT, you´would need to downgrade by removing the TB 3 card and installing the TB 2 add-on card and then using a TB3 to TB 2 adapter to work with it.

I have a client running such a configuration with HDX with no problem.

Apparently, now this PT version allows Sonnet TB 3 enclosures to be used with up to 3 HDX cards.

Why Sonnet did an HDX edition of the same enclosures (IIID/R) that was already shipping with TB 3 interface, is something that I don´t get it, but there´s probably a reason for it.

I have had a brief email exchange with Sonnet. It looks like my concerns are unfounded, but I suspect a bunch of other users might be a little ticked off with the outcome. It appears that the HDX version of the III-D/R is nothing more than a TB2 enclosure running a TB3 interface card. It's offering is the result of an incompatibility in the PCIe 3 bridge in the TB3 version of the III-D/R. In short:

- TB2 enclosure with a TB2 or TB3 interface card, and you're good to go.
- TB3 enclosure requires a TB2 interface card for HDX. It won't work with a TB3 interface card.

I wonder if this was part of the hurdle to achieving more voices for HDX?
Pro Tools Ultimate 2024.3. OSX 13.6.5. Win 10. HD Native. Lynx AES16e. Lynx Aurora 16. i9-13900KF. ASRock Z690 Steel Legend. 64GB Ram. AMD Vega 64. BM Decklink. Dolby Atmos Renderer 5.2. Trinnov D-Mon. D-Command.
Old 04-08-2020, 02:52 AM

Default Re: Current state of thunderbolt 3 and HDX.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDS View Post
I have had a brief email exchange with Sonnet. It looks like my concerns are unfounded, but I suspect a bunch of other users might be a little ticked off with the outcome. It appears that the HDX version of the III-D/R is nothing more than a TB2 enclosure running a TB3 interface card. It's offering is the result of an incompatibility in the PCIe 3 bridge in the TB3 version of the III-D/R. In short:

- TB2 enclosure with a TB2 or TB3 interface card, and you're good to go.
- TB3 enclosure requires a TB2 interface card for HDX. It won't work with a TB3 interface card.

I wonder if this was part of the hurdle to achieving more voices for HDX?
Thanks for this.

I guess Avid want you to buy their TB3 enclosure or buy a nMac Pro.

I was told by an Apple tech that as soon as you plug a TB2 device into a TB3 port that whole Thunderbolt bus is slowed down to TB2 speed not just the port itself. So I guess there’s that to factor in too.
Old 04-08-2020, 04:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsdy View Post
I guess Avid want you to buy their TB3 enclosure or buy a nMac Pro.

I suspect the Avid TB3 enclosures are just rebranded/repackaged Sonnet devices anyway.
Old 04-08-2020, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDS View Post
I suspect the Avid TB3 enclosures are just rebranded/repackaged Sonnet devices anyway.
You’re not wrong.
https://www.avid.com/products/pro-to...bolt-3-chassis
Old 04-08-2020, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsdy View Post
Ha! Goes to show you how little I actually read. I just stared at the pictures. #isolationbrainvacation
Old 04-15-2020, 10:06 AM

I was running HDX for 2 years in the TB3 sonnet Egpx with aTb3 to Tb2 adapter with no issues on my Mc trashcan
I had it working with my Macpro 7.1 @ Tb3 yesterday with no issues
Old 04-26-2020, 02:51 AM

Hi,
I need some advice.
I wanted to put 2 HDX cards on this new Sonnet enclosure with thunderbolt 3.
But it is to use essentially with a 2010 MacPro. we need an extra Pcie slot...

will it work with a Pcie to Thunderbolt 3 sold by Sonnet ?