Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools | Carbon
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-22-2021, 01:09 AM

Default Space AAX DSP not working

Looks like the Space plugin is not showing as a DSP option only Native. I bought Space, have several licenses on my ilok including the avid plugin bundle. Tonight I tried deactivating all licenses off the ilok except the plugin bundle license, removed receipts for Space and reinstalled Space from the plugin bundle (looks like version is correct). It just doesn't seem to register as a DSP option. Any ideas?

Matt Hepworth started a similar thread in the AAX plugin forum, it appears we are both on Carbon so starting another thread here.
Old 05-24-2021, 12:44 AM

Default Re: Space AAX DSP not working

Doesn't work here either. That's an important one since it's the only convo verb that's DSP.

Some kind of weird carbon bug then?
Old 05-24-2021, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeySchlitz View Post
...deactivating all licenses off the ilok except the plugin bundle license, removed receipts for Space and reinstalled Space from the plugin bundle (looks like version is correct). It just doesn't seem to register as a DSP option. Any ideas?...
Yup, did the same and no joy. I also have a couple licenses of Space and the complete plugin bundle. No DSP Space

"If the grass looks greener on the other side of the fence, well, it is likely due to the amount of manure being spread on that side of the fence." Cowboy Bob

Squaw Creek Road Studio

Bob
Pro Tools Ultimate (2024.3.1)| Pro Tools Carbon | Sibelius Ultimate (2024.3.1)
|
M2 Max Mac Studio w/64GB RAM | 1TB SSD | Mac OS 14.4.1| (Main Rig) |
3.6GHz 8-core 9th-generation Intel Core i9 processor iMac w/40GB RAM | 1TB SSD | macOS Ventura 13.3.1 |

Avid Eleven Rack ERXP | Focusrite Clarett 8Pre X |

Old 05-24-2021, 06:08 AM

Unfortunately this is a known issue and can be found in the PT | Carbon Read Me:

Not all plug-ins are fully supported in DSP Mode. (PT-266587)
Some AAX plug-ins, including Avid Space and Nugen VisLM, are incompatible with DSP Mode and are only available with
Pro Tools | Carbon in Native Mode. These plug-ins will be bypassed on tracks in DSP Mode.

System Details
Old 05-24-2021, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkgear View Post
Unfortunately this is a known issue and can be found in the PT | Carbon Read Me:

Not all plug-ins are fully supported in DSP Mode. (PT-266587)
Some AAX plug-ins, including Avid Space and Nugen VisLM, are incompatible with DSP Mode and are only available with
Pro Tools | Carbon in Native Mode. These plug-ins will be bypassed on tracks in DSP Mode.
Ahh, I missed that but great to know...thank you!
Old 05-25-2021, 04:03 AM

I want to know why this doesn't work on Carbon. Avid Space says it is both an AAX Native and AAX DSP plug on the Avid Space webpage. There is no mention of it not working on Carbon. Another example of Avid tying themselves in knots with endless complexity and failure to produce a coherent product set.

The Carbon is advertised as a HDX-style, standalone DSP box capable of running the same things as HDX but with about half the power of an HDX card. But critical stuff, like a convo reverb, doesn't work and the information is hidden in the release notes.

It's interesting that Kyle answers only the questions on this forum where he can give a positive answer - all the bad stuff is just left to fester.

Dominic
Old 05-25-2021, 05:54 AM

Are DSP based reverbs really that critical? The only reason to use them on HDX is to preserve voices - using native plugins on aux channels in HDX will chew up additional voices. Other than that, running native reverbs on aux channels results in any latency being perceived as reverb pre delay.
Pro Tools Ultimate 2024.3. OSX 13.6.5. Win 10. HD Native. Lynx AES16e. Lynx Aurora 16. i9-13900KF. ASRock Z690 Steel Legend. 64GB Ram. AMD Vega 64. BM Decklink. Dolby Atmos Renderer 5.2. Trinnov D-Mon. D-Command.
Old 05-25-2021, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeySchlitz View Post
Ahh, I missed that but great to know...thank you!
Yeah I missed that too. I don't often use Space so it really isn't a big deal for me but I wanted to test it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDS View Post
Are DSP based reverbs really that critical? The only reason to use them on HDX is to preserve voices - using native plugins on aux channels in HDX will chew up additional voices.
No, DSP based reverb isn't critical to me at all. I just wanted to test it.

Quote:
Other than that, running native reverbs on aux channels results in any latency being perceived as reverb pre delay.
Yup. At the moment my favorite reverb is arturia emt 140 on an aux.

"If the grass looks greener on the other side of the fence, well, it is likely due to the amount of manure being spread on that side of the fence." Cowboy Bob

Squaw Creek Road Studio

Bob
Pro Tools Ultimate (2024.3.1)| Pro Tools Carbon | Sibelius Ultimate (2024.3.1)
|
M2 Max Mac Studio w/64GB RAM | 1TB SSD | Mac OS 14.4.1| (Main Rig) |
3.6GHz 8-core 9th-generation Intel Core i9 processor iMac w/40GB RAM | 1TB SSD | macOS Ventura 13.3.1 |

Avid Eleven Rack ERXP | Focusrite Clarett 8Pre X |

Old 05-25-2021, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Are DSP based reverbs really that critical?
In this case, yes, since it's a convolution reverb. On HDX and TDM I used Space all the time as a cab IR loader. It would be the only thing similar on Carbon. With native latency as high as it is with Carbon the DSP Space would be a must, IMO.

@Kyle, is this a known issue that's being addressed, or is it not actively worked on?
Old 05-25-2021, 01:11 PM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominicperry View Post
I want to know why this doesn't work on Carbon. Avid Space says it is both an AAX Native and AAX DSP plug on the Avid Space webpage. There is no mention of it not working on Carbon. Another example of Avid tying themselves in knots with endless complexity and failure to produce a coherent product set.

The Carbon is advertised as a HDX-style, standalone DSP box capable of running the same things as HDX but with about half the power of an HDX card. But critical stuff, like a convo reverb, doesn't work and the information is hidden in the release notes.

It's interesting that Kyle answers only the questions on this forum where he can give a positive answer - all the bad stuff is just left to fester.

Dominic
Hi Dominic,

In general, bugs and/or very specific limitations are not posted on our marketing pages. We post that information in the Read Me as we do with other products. We also post important information at www.avid.com/carbon-support from time to time, so that's another good resource. The Space limitation is not listed there, but wanted to mention the resource nonetheless.

Space splits the processing between DSP and host. The same is true for Nugen VisLM. This architecture created challenges with the Hybrid Engine model that were difficult to fix in time for the product release. So, rather than release Carbon with these bugs, we decided to limit the plugin's operation to Native only. This may change in the future if the user demand is high enough. So far it has not been a top request, but that could change.

You mentioned "Avid tying themselves in knots with endless complexity and failure to produce a coherent product set". Can you give some other examples of how Carbon has done this? The general feedback I hear is that Carbon provides a very coherent and straightforward experience in Pro Tools.

You also mentioned "Kyle answers only the questions on this forum where he can give a positive answer". I have answered a wide variety of product questions in this forum. The topics have included: bugs, bug fix updates, feature requests, limitations, how-to, future functionality, etc. If you look at my post history, you'll see that. If you want to post links to specific threads where you'd like me to chime in I am happy to do so. But, I don't shy away from criticism as it's integral to improving the product.

Kyle
Berkeley, CA