Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11

Old 05-24-2017, 02:53 PM

Default Re: Physical RAM is running Low error

Quote:
Originally Posted by notedmusic View Post
Thanks man,

I'm glad to know this is a problem in PT 12 as well. We need a fix for both versions, I shouldn't have to pay another $1000 for an HD upgrade for something that never worked when I bought it!
I've always had either "out of CPU" or "out of memory" errors and I've tried several trips to the apple store and every "usual" fix I can think of.

Interestingly enough, when I use non-HD interfaces, it seems to work a little bit better... however, there are still significant problems with larger sessions well below the maximum ram.

Do you have an active support? Can you reach out to AVID tech and see what is going on?
I was considering getting the non-hd upgrade to PT 12 *if* it would fix this problem, but apparently this is not a PT 11 specific problem. And if it was I'd be seriously upset that the thousands of dollars I've already paid haven't produced a working-as-advertised product. I initially thought it was a problem with the PLAY engine being incompatible, but now after many trial-and-error sessions and patchs I think the issue is with PRO TOOLS.

Any other ideas?
Anyone else with this problem should not pay for the upgrade, it will not fix your issue...
My initial reaction to your OP was that the problem was probably Play or an incompatibility between Play and Kontakt. Have you tried uninstalling Play, (the engine not the samples,) and running similarly sized session with just Kontakt. Personally I've long since given up on Play as a bad loss. It's always been far more trouble than it's worth IMO.
Old 05-24-2017, 03:32 PM

Just to be clear, let's separate the problems. I get the memory message when I boot Pro Tools, but after I click through it, PT 12.7.1 is totally rocking. No serious problems at all, PT uses all the memory I give it. Avid just needs to get rid of the warning message.
Old 05-24-2017, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsdy View Post
My initial reaction to your OP was that the problem was probably Play or an incompatibility between Play and Kontakt. Have you tried uninstalling Play, (the engine not the samples,) and running similarly sized session with just Kontakt. Personally I've long since given up on Play as a bad loss. It's always been far more trouble than it's worth IMO.
Not unless AVID gives me a refund or a free upgrade to PT 12 if it gets fixed.

They advertised it as compatible with each other, if it is not then they owe me for false advertisement/non-working product.
And yes I have everything documented and would gladly start a lawsuit because I've spent thousands of dollars and never had a stable session with these products together.

Running play alone has this memory issue and cpu crashing.

I'm always updating them and trying different things, but they've never worked well together. However, I paid for multiple support codes with AVID where they assured me that these are compatible and refused to do anything to help me situation.

First they claimed it was my hardware ( so I bought expensive hardware) - didn't fix the issue.
I got all SSDs and changed everything up. Every time they close my case before they fix anything and give a long list of usual suspects to do, all with no effect.

Pro Tools 11 HD, 64Gb ram, 12tb SSD, 1909
HD Omni/Thunderbolt Native
A bucketload of libraries
www.Reverbnation.com/jedediahjenk
www.soundcloud.com/jedediahjenk
notedmusic.wix.com/jedediahjenk
Old 05-24-2017, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reichman View Post
Just to be clear, let's separate the problems. I get the memory message when I boot Pro Tools, but after I click through it, PT 12.7.1 is totally rocking. No serious problems at all, PT uses all the memory I give it. Avid just needs to get rid of the warning message.
The message keeps appearing as I work.
Also, this is pointing to a major issue that PT DAW is refusing to access all for the RAM available.
So even if the message disappears the root cause of hte problem is still there.
This is a major programming problem, unless someone can tell me what I've overlooked?

BTY, have changed and fiddled with PLAY's settings and I still have the problem no matter which buffers I use.

Pro Tools 11 HD, 64Gb ram, 12tb SSD, 1909
HD Omni/Thunderbolt Native
A bucketload of libraries
www.Reverbnation.com/jedediahjenk
www.soundcloud.com/jedediahjenk
notedmusic.wix.com/jedediahjenk
Old 05-25-2017, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Not unless AVID gives me a refund or a free upgrade to PT 12 if it gets fixed.

They advertised it as compatible with each other, if it is not then they owe me for false advertisement/non-working product.
And yes I have everything documented and would gladly start a lawsuit because I've spent thousands of dollars and never had a stable session with these products together.

Running play alone has this memory issue and cpu crashing.

I'm always updating them and trying different things, but they've never worked well together. However, I paid for multiple support codes with AVID where they assured me that these are compatible and refused to do anything to help me situation.

First they claimed it was my hardware ( so I bought expensive hardware) - didn't fix the issue.
I got all SSDs and changed everything up. Every time they close my case before they fix anything and give a long list of usual suspects to do, all with no effect.
Does running Kontakt alone in Pro Tools cause the memory error? It never did here and I absolutely hammered it in Pro Tools. It worked so well I ended up with over 40 instances of Kontakt in Pro Tools in my template instead of VE Pro. The last update to PT11 and OSX10.10.5 were a golden combination IMO. Super-stable. However, Play has always caused me problems of one kind or another when hosted in Pro Tools. If I did need to use a Play library I hosted it in VE Pro were it works much better in my experience.
Old 05-25-2017, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Already created a new admin user (part of optimized list)

What do you mean by "get rid" of it? Disable it in startup? Is this a known conflict?
I meant run your computer without it installed. Do a search, Adobe forums say it is a CPU hog.

Here are screen shots of my Mac Pro tower with PT 11.3.2 running with no session..., followed with PT11.3.2 and the PT11 demo loaded. Says I have 27 GB of mem available.

Your screen shot shows protools is using 8GB, mine shows about 1GB. Can you describe how many tracks you have loaded?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ml_PT11HD_no_session.jpg (48.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg PT11HD_demo_session_loaded.jpg (56.5 KB, 0 views)
PT10.3.10HD(Tyan s2932 [8core Shanghai 2.7GHZ] 32GB,Win7 SP1); PT10HD(Tyan s2892 w/10GB, Win7 SP1);PT8HD(Dell 690 quad Xeon 3.0, 8GB, Win7,192 I/O, 96 I/O);MacBook Pro: 11R, Apogee Element 46, Focusrite 8PreX PT HD 11.3.2; Mac Pro 3.47 Hex 32GB, OSX 10.12.6/L10.4.2;L9.1.8, 2.64TB; G5 D2.3 4GB, 10.4.11/L8; 12c MP 2.66/32GB PT12.4; Structure, GigaGS3, Kontakt 5, Garratin, Sibelius 8.7+, Finale26,EMU,Vegas Pro 16-10/; RME HDSP9652,MOTU 2408 MKIII/1224/308, FX,Kurz,L5s,Strat,ASAT,JB,Zon

Last edited by panamajack; 05-26-2017 at 08:05 PM.
Old 03-15-2018, 01:38 PM

Hello. I have exactly the same problem. My machine is not as strong as yours but i have 9gb of free memory an Pro Tools momory indicator goes to 100 and gives me a "not enough memory space" message. I also run the Play Plugin (a piano...). The same things has no problems on Logic and Ableton Live (i tried there 10 times the plugin and no problems at all.). But Pro Tools seems to be unable to handle it.

Is there more information about this issue at this point of time???

I am new to Pro Tools and did not expect this kind of Problems.

Greetings Roman
Old 06-25-2019, 01:36 PM

I am having this issue as well. I have 64GB of RAM in a six core MacPro and get memory errors - it's telling me my memory is at 100% yet when I look at my system meters it's telling me I have over 32GB free. This never happened to me on 2018.12 only when I moved up to 2019.5 (HD, ultimate). What is the point of having a lot of RAM if ProTools doesn't know how to use it properly?

I gave ProTools 25GB to use before it resorts to Disk Cache but it would appear that PT immediately hoards the 25GB then complains it's out of memory. I literally have ONE inst track with ONE instance of Serum on it, ONE aux with ONE ModDelay and ONE master with an EQ7 on it. NO WAY that should require the 25GB of RAM that ProTools is hoarding.

I submitted a help request with Avid - who wants to place a bet if they'll ask me to delete preferences and databases with no result, as usual. Gives me flashbacks of calling the cable company when the internet is down, "have you tried rebooting?"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2019-06-25 at 12.54.14 PM.jpg (57.8 KB, 0 views)

Sound Design/VO
http://noisefreak.com
Old 06-25-2019, 02:48 PM

I know this is not a lot of help, but I have 64GB in a 6,1 Mac Pro with 2019.5. No problems. I'm allowing a 32GB cache. My guess is that a 3rd-party plug-in is having a memory leak. Good luck!
Old 01-14-2022, 02:53 AM

Hi everyone!

I have same problem here.

I upgraded from PT12.7.1 to Ultimate and started to have this issue.
I´ve tried every way you guys mentioned but problem persist.

First I Installed PT Ultimate 2020.12 on my OSX10.13.6 opened a mix session including video (dnx-hd).
System usage shows 100% RAM.

Same session running PT12.7.1 on OSX10.12.6
64% RAM usage.

Later i´ve install PT Ultimate 2019.6 and RAM usage went down to 95% not showing warning but still very tight.

I gess it is a cuestion of finding right convination of PT version and OS.

I´ll try with an earlier version of PT (2018.7) today to see if i can reach the 64% i had with PT12.7.1.

Anyway, any clue is very wellcome.