Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools SE and Essential (Win)

Old 01-22-2014, 09:54 PM

Default Hello all! Would like to introduce myself & ask 1 question.....

....a musician for some 35+ years (a bassist with some keys, git, drums etc. skills), I've been recording on ADATS & other "out-board" gear for ages.
2 1/2 years ago - after much "arm-twisting" fr pc-based recording friends - I purchased PT SE w. MAud Mob Pre. Mannnn, I suffered and endured the trials & tribs of learning the basics of pc-based recording as well as experiencing d@mn near every problem, error code, drive issues as well as latency, unwanted sound artifacts,lost audio files & poor mic'd signal capture out there. Ready to throw PT Se & Mob Pre down the toilet, I soldiered on & kept at it 'til I finally understood how this type of recording worked along with correcting the common causes of errors I dealt w. in SE. Now I'm ready to take the next step in PT as Ive reached the max in SE functionality; I need more capabilities!
My question- I'm not rich and am on a strict budget ; my requirements are
increased track count', improved efx & signal processing (with greater control of audo parameters) & an increase amount of loops. What's the next step for me in the PT world without going past $3-400? Thank you!
Old 01-22-2014, 10:01 PM

Default Re: Hello all! Would like to introduce myself & ask 1 question.....

...........my 1st post due to a majority of my questions I wanted to ask were already prev'ly "asked & answered" Thx Team Avid!
Old 01-22-2014, 11:09 PM

You Pro Tools real choices are Avid Pro Tools 10 Express or Pro Tools 11.

Express comes bundled with low-end interfaces, has restrictions but less so than what you are currently using.

Pro Tools 11 comes either stand-along or bumdled with the Mbox 3 Pro or Eleven Rack. The Eleven Rakc is lieky the best deal at aroudn $650 street. So out of your budget yuo gave. The Mbox 3 With Pto Tools Express is here... http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PTMbox. You may also find other third party products that bundle Pro Tools Express (you cannot buy it without an interface).

Make sure you check all systems requirements and OS compatibility information for whatever version of Pro Tools you are considering. Latest version of Express is here ... http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/d...-3-4-Downloads

Although out of date this table gives a good comparison of Pro Tools 10 vs. Express vs. SE. https://www.avid.com/US/common/produ...ols-comparison

Now your PC better be suitable for all this or you'll be needing to replace or upgrade that. Personally if staying with Pro Tools I would wait and save and get the a full version of Pro Tools 11 or an Eleven Rack bundle. I don't like how Express lags a full generation behind Pro Tools 11 and lacks latest OS support etc. And Pro Tools 11 has 64 bit memory support so is much better if you want to run a lot of VIs, and it is not tied to only working with the bundled interface.

If you like what you ave seen or Pro Tools in SE then great, but there are many other DAWS out there, almost all lower cost and easier to get started with and fewer marketing restrictions/feature crippling. Reaper, Studio One, Logic Pro, Sonar, Reason, Cubase, Garageband etc. etc. And if you need to replace or upgrade your computer you even have the option of going to a Mac with Garage Band or Logic Pro (especially if creating/composing). Pro Tools is a great DAW, really great at audio tracking and editing, just make sure you are choosing what looks best for you and not just buying something "just because".
Old 01-22-2014, 11:11 PM

PT9 or PT10 used on this site or even eBay if you dare

PT9 can be had for $150 (u need to make sure u just get the ilok) won't be registered to u in ur avid account but u can freely download the installers - i did that for both 9 and 10
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 01-22-2014, 11:17 PM

Pro Tools 9, 10 or 11 can still be sold via an iLok asset transfer, you don't need to physically purchase on an iLok. If buying an "unregistered" version of Pro Tools software you need to make sure it comes with all the registration paperwork and it should have a blank iLok with it as well. Be careful of scammers that sell a worthless DVD-ROM (actually worth $15 or so -- Avid sells them as backup DVD-ROMs) containing software with no electronic license transfer or no license on a physical iLok.

I would be careful with Pro Tools 9 because it lacks the latest OS support, even Pro Tools 10 and 10 Express have not been updated much recently and lack official support for the latest OSes.

----

And if you want to go that route buy from somebody with a good selling history who hopefully won't rip you off.

Buying used can be a good option if you know what you are doing and are careful.

There is no guarantee that you'll be able to use that licenses to upgrade in future (even if past similar upgrades have been OK) and no guarantee that you'll be able to download future updates. e.g. New Pro Tools 11 updates are only pushed to user's Avid accounts, a move likely done to discourage used license sales and to help thwart license cracking.
Old 01-23-2014, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
You Pro Tools real choices are Avid Pro Tools 10 Express or Pro Tools 11.

Express comes bundled with low-end interfaces, has restrictions but less so than what you are currently using.

Pro Tools 11 comes either stand-along or bumdled with the Mbox 3 Pro or Eleven Rack. The Eleven Rakc is lieky the best deal at aroudn $650 street. So out of your budget yuo gave. The Mbox 3 With Pto Tools Express is here... http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PTMbox. You may also find other third party products that bundle Pro Tools Express (you cannot buy it without an interface).

Make sure you check all systems requirements and OS compatibility information for whatever version of Pro Tools you are considering. Latest version of Express is here ... http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/d...-3-4-Downloads

Although out of date this table gives a good comparison of Pro Tools 10 vs. Express vs. SE. https://www.avid.com/US/common/produ...ols-comparison

Now your PC better be suitable for all this or you'll be needing to replace or upgrade that. Personally if staying with Pro Tools I would wait and save and get the a full version of Pro Tools 11 or an Eleven Rack bundle. I don't like how Express lags a full generation behind Pro Tools 11 and lacks latest OS support etc. And Pro Tools 11 has 64 bit memory support so is much better if you want to run a lot of VIs, and it is not tied to only working with the bundled interface.

If you like what you ave seen or Pro Tools in SE then great, but there are many other DAWS out there, almost all lower cost and easier to get started with and fewer marketing restrictions/feature crippling. Reaper, Studio One, Logic Pro, Sonar, Reason, Cubase, Garageband etc. etc. And if you need to replace or upgrade your computer you even have the option of going to a Mac with Garage Band or Logic Pro (especially if creating/composing). Pro Tools is a great DAW, really great at audio tracking and editing, just make sure you are choosing what looks best for you and not just buying something "just because".
Many thanks to you (as well as other posters who have provided great advice)!

To be specific - & prior to PTSE - I experimented with FREE, trial versions of N-TRACK, CakeWalk, Cubase 5, FL Studio & Propellerhead to get my feet "wet" in the DAW-world. Purchasing PTSE allowed me to learn the most basics of daw rec'ding but I have reached it's limits for the type of tracking/mixing (& genre of music) I require. A Funk/Jazz/Rock/R&B "fusion-ista", I prev'ly used 2, Alesis ADAT XT's & 1 LX run thru an Alesis Studio 32 board where I'd "drop" multiple tracks heavy on synth horns, Hammond B-3/Fender Rhodes-patched, key-play & multi-layerd bass perf with drum kit mic'd using 2 Shure SM58's & 2 SM57's (4 trax). Recording on ADATS is cool, but a lotta d@mn work (especially if you're not using a BRC or LRC remote). With the MobPre only having 2 inputs, I used 2, phantom-powered SP B1's in a sort of "X/Y-type" mic-pattern on drums to capture performance & ambience - to a stereo track only - kinda' disappointing when you require optimal panning placement(tho' audio capture was clean). I'm in no way an "EXPERT" engineer by any degree but have a somewhat discerning "ear" for at least, judging a properly, recorded, music production (I use Tannoy Proto-J flat-responsers, Event 20/20Bas actives & Polk Audio DB loudspeakers for monitoring).

Apologies for my extremely boring & long-winded post. I would rather move forward using PT than other rec'ding-based soft-ware since SE taught me how to "walk"! (I have 5 lap-tops w. excellent specs; system probs or OS issues are never a prob).

PT9 sounds good but just a coupla' questions;

A)-If so, what interface is 9 bundled/equipped with? Is it upgradeable?

B)-What EXACTLY is "iLok"- in laymen terms ?

C)- Pro's/Con's of purchasing "used" 9.

.....and lastly....

D)- Is Justin Dweeb-ber an idiot or what?

Again, a MILLION THANKS!!!
Old 01-24-2014, 08:54 AM

If you purchase 9 you can use it with any AISO compatible interface including the 002 and the 003 and the rack versions of them

Focus right typically anybody. Except the first generation of m- boxes

Avid no longer sells new versions of ProTools nine you would have to buy a used copy from someone enter the ilok

It's a software protection dongle it's to protect companies against piracy
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 01-24-2014, 09:57 AM

The main thing with whatever you buy is to make sure your system meets all the requirements of Pro Tools in general and that version in particular. Make sure your OS version is compatible with the software. And your hardware meets the minimum specs. The thing most new users miss is the need for a audio-spec HDD or SSD dedicated to audio/session files. You also need to check whatever interface you are using also has drivers compatible with that OS version. That is not usually an issue (and not a requirement from Avid) with Pro Tool SE because of its reduced capacity.