Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Digidesign Hardware & Software
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-23-2002, 05:39 AM

Default Why is ProToolsFREE so problematic?

Okay... It's me again!
I've followed all the reccommendations in the accompanying .pdf file with PTfree to try and get it to work without a major system crash but to no avail. (AAAAAAAAAGGGGHHH!!) If I'm lucky, it will get as far as loading the preliminary screen, but when I start a new session, give it a name, etc. and save, it crashes the computer. Sometimes it just freezes and the screen goes black with a line of green squares going accross the top of the screen, whereas other times it causes the computer to totally reboot itself. I can't understand how something that's supposed to run on any computer won't work at all! Where am I going wrong? Does anyone have any other helpful tips to secure the working of this FABulous program? It would be a great shame if I couldn't use it! (If only I had the money for ProTools LE + Digi-001!!!)
Cheers
Chris.
P.S. You can see a thorough system spec in the last message posted by me! [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]
Old 11-23-2002, 03:43 PM

Default Re: Why is ProToolsFREE so problematic?

maybe an idea to look for an mbox or audiomedia3 card. Right now there's one for sale in the "buy & sell" corner of the duc for $100...

The mbox also is avalable now for winXP, and is cheaper as the digi001...

the instability of ptfree has to do with 2 things i think.

1. ptfree has to work together with windows to operate. ptle only has to deal with a very well known part of hardware (digi001/digi002/mbox/amiii, and ofcourse the tdm-systems)

2. It is free software so i guess digidesign is not assigning all their programmers to get all the flaws out.

maybe after digidesign completes all of the big projects they will take a good look at ptfree....

Bastiaan
Old 11-23-2002, 09:49 PM

Default Re: Why is ProToolsFREE so problematic?

Oh really? I'll have to look into that, then. Rather annoying to have to get another audio card when my Audigy Platinum works fine with everything else! I'll have to get that temp xmas job so I can afford one of those.
Perhaps, like you said, they'll iron out the bugs in a possible forth-coming release?

Thanks for that.
Chris [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]