How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-2015, 02:34 PM

Default Trouble Installing Pro Tools 12

Hello,

I've been having some trouble with this since I purchased the subscription for Pro Tools 12 yesterday. Since then, I've been trying to fix it on my own via Google to no avail, so I apologize if this has been previously mentioned. I downloaded Pro Tools and installed the iLok software; everything is good to go on that front. I read through the documentation and I'm apparently doing everything correctly, however I cannot seem to install the actual program itself.

I do not want it installed on my primary (C:) as that is my system/boot drive and there isn't adequate space. At first, I wasn't given an option to install it elsewhere and after retrying, I was able to get it to recognize my other HDDs, but there's no option to install on any. I have the Pro Tools installation package on two of my hard drives to see if that would make a difference as well as attempting to install from the Manager itself, but I'm getting the same issue. I should also note that attempting to install from the manager gives me this error (along the lines) "Could not locate PT/Setup" and that particular install was in my primary's program x86 folder.

There must be a way to install this software on a hard drive other than the primary because it is impossible for me, and I would unfortunately have to invest into a different daw (I'm pressed for time).

Thank you for any information you can provide me.
Old 08-03-2015, 03:59 AM

Default Re: Trouble Installing Pro Tools 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baern View Post
Hello,

I've been having some trouble with this since I purchased the subscription for Pro Tools 12 yesterday. Since then, I've been trying to fix it on my own via Google to no avail, so I apologize if this has been previously mentioned. I downloaded Pro Tools and installed the iLok software; everything is good to go on that front. I read through the documentation and I'm apparently doing everything correctly, however I cannot seem to install the actual program itself.

I do not want it installed on my primary (C:) as that is my system/boot drive and there isn't adequate space. At first, I wasn't given an option to install it elsewhere and after retrying, I was able to get it to recognize my other HDDs, but there's no option to install on any. I have the Pro Tools installation package on two of my hard drives to see if that would make a difference as well as attempting to install from the Manager itself, but I'm getting the same issue. I should also note that attempting to install from the manager gives me this error (along the lines) "Could not locate PT/Setup" and that particular install was in my primary's program x86 folder.

There must be a way to install this software on a hard drive other than the primary because it is impossible for me, and I would unfortunately have to invest into a different daw (I'm pressed for time).

Thank you for any information you can provide me.
Sorry but ProTools NEEDS to be on your system drive. The PT program itself isn't that large. Are you absolutely sure you don't have a few gig empty space to put PT on it? If your system drive is that tight for space you're going to have all kinds of issues; I'd never fill a drive to anymore than 75-80% full.

Going to a different piece of daw software won't help you - they all need to be installed on the system drive. Remember that all recordings should go to an external/separate drive from the system drive.

QAPLA!
Old 08-03-2015, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Sorry but ProTools NEEDS to be on your system drive. The PT program itself isn't that large. Are you absolutely sure you don't have a few gig empty space to put PT on it? If your system drive is that tight for space you're going to have all kinds of issues; I'd never fill a drive to anymore than 75-80% full.

Going to a different piece of daw software won't help you - they all need to be installed on the system drive. Remember that all recordings should go to an external/separate drive from the system drive.
This ^

While it is possible to install apps to a secondary hard drive, there are many problems that can arise from doing so with a complex piece of software like Pro Tools. You are asking for problems.

Instead, uninstall all unnecessary programs. Things like toolbars and anything else you have installed that are never used.

Move your media (music, videos, photos) to the secondary drive. If you still don't have enough space, think about getting a larger capacity OS drive.

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 08-03-2015, 01:55 PM

Well, I can safely say that I've never experienced any issues using two different DAWs on a separate hard drive nor have I experienced any issues with having a small amount of space on my primary, and my current build is two years old.

I'm afraid I'm going to have to invest elsewhere for a solution, but thank you for the help.
Old 08-03-2015, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baern View Post
Well, I can safely say that I've never experienced any issues using two different DAWs on a separate hard drive nor have I experienced any issues with having a small amount of space on my primary, and my current build is two years old.

I'm afraid I'm going to have to invest elsewhere for a solution, but thank you for the help.
As I said before you're gong to have the same issues no matter which daw software you use. They all need to be installed on the system drive, no ifs/ands/buts. Having a small amount of open space on a system drive is just asking for trouble.

But hey - ignore the words of those who have the experience of dealing with cranky systems and know how to fix them (or make it so one never has issues to begin with).

QAPLA!