How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins

Old 11-25-2015, 08:58 AM
IK Multimedia

Default IK Multimedia releases Mic Room for T-RackS

Introducing Mic Room for T-RackS

Re-mike your recordings with a virtual collection of over 20 stunning studio microphones

Mic Room is a powerful microphone-modeling tool for T-RackS that puts a world-class collection of over 20 classic and contemporary microphones at your fingertips. It gives you the power to process and "re-mike" your physical microphones to sound and perform like some of the most coveted microphone models of all time from ribbons to dynamics to condensers and beyond. It also offers a plethora of inspiring tone-sculpting tools that are conveniently ready for use in your favorite DAW.

Top Sound quality

Mic Room offers an astonishing level of detail and accuracy, each of its virtual microphone models boasts the true frequency response, nuanced character and specific sound of its counterpart. That means you can tap into the harmonic complexity of tube condensers, the "in-your-face" tone of dynamics and velvety smoothness of ribbon types. You can even fuel your creativity with Mic Room's quirkier options, like tube and telephone microphones.

Endless possibilities

Mic Room lets you effortlessly change the sonic profile of recorded audio to match the signature of a chosen microphone. Want to transform a dynamic into a condenser? A condenser into a ribbon? Well, Mic Room is a T-RackS module, so you can slap it onto an individual track (either inside T-RackS or as a standalone plug-in) and then change recorded audio from vocals and miked instruments and amplifiers. Once on a track, Mic Room lets you choose the original source microphone and then a new microphone to re-mike it with, so you can harness a new level of nuance, color and tonal character.

Creative tone control

Beyond its high-fidelity sound, Mic Room also comes packed with a number of additional tone control features that have been designed to enhance your recording experience. The Proximity effect less you play with the "proximity effect" that naturally adds bass when a source is near a microphone. Dial it in for a rich and deep "FM radio vocals" sound. Or dial it down to scoop the low frequencies out. The Harmonic control effect gives you the full power and rich harmonic complexity of a tube condenser. This control lets you add saturation, character and texture to your recordings.

Plug and play

Though Mic Room for T-RackS can liven up the character of any microphone, it works best when paired with iRig Mic Studio, iRig Pro DUO, iRig PRO, iRig Mic HD, iRig Mic and other quality microphones and interfaces from IK Multimedia.

Pricing and availability

Mic Room is available now via the IK online store and T-RackS Custom Shop for just $/€69.99* (or just 70 Gear Credits).

*all prices excluding taxes
Old 11-25-2015, 10:26 AM

Default Re: IK Multimedia releases Mic Room for T-RackS

FYI many manufacturers dislike their product names or likenesses being used without an official endorsement... Something to look out for.
Old 11-25-2015, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaone View Post
FYI many manufacturers dislike their product names or likenesses being used without an official endorsement... Something to look out for.
I'm sure IK has that covered; take a look at Amplitube 4 and the mics shown there.

QAPLA!
Old 11-25-2015, 04:08 PM

Well... Remember how IK's API lookalike EQs changed GUI late in the game? There are cases where companies become protective. Naming microphone models without explicit permission from the manufacturer seems to be verboten most of the time.

Edit: same happened to CAPI.
Old 11-25-2015, 09:39 PM

There are quite a few IK Products I do really like and use ..., but geez - IMO the IKM marketing dribble is getting worst and worst of late, to the point where they make bazaar claims that the plugins are even better than the hardware they are emulating .
like this ; http://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/trmicroom/

Technicolor sound

If you’re serious about sound, you don’t just see microphones as recording devices… you view them like a painter sees brushes. Each microphone has its own unique and colorful character that contributes to the tone of each mix. This is why a-list recording studios around the world are always stocked with a range of microphones that can suit any situation. Not everyone has access to an a-list studio, but with Mic Room, you have something even better: A virtual microphone collection inside your computer that can transform the sonic character of any recording to suit the tone and feeling of your mix

I get it .., a few EQ tonal curves with a mild saturator, but the marketing blurb just talks me out of wanting to demo it.
It sort of sounds to me like "Use these guitar strings and you will sound like Jimi Hendrix"
Old 11-26-2015, 07:14 AM

I called IK on this on their forum where this was announced and Peter came back that I should demo it to see that what they were saying was true and that it was working fine for iDevice users. He also said people said the same things I did about modeling software. In my post I mentioned they seemed to be going after Slate Digital and that there was no way they could make an SM57 sound like a Neumann U87. Amp or fx modeling is one thing but right now without dsp help a product like this will have cpu power issues if done right.

I like a lot of what IK does but there are times I have to shake my head and say why does this product even exist? Pet peeve on the latter - the acoustic simulator stomp box in Amplitube 4. I have a hardware version from Digitech that is currently serving as a paperweight because it just doesn't do what it says it's supposed to do.

QAPLA!
Old 12-24-2015, 07:40 AM
IK Multimedia

Obviously not "a few EQ tonal curves with a mild saturator" to those that know our modeling prowess and have actually used it for a bit now (even the Gearslutz thread toned down the cork sniffing initial knee-jerk reaction after people started actually trying it), and for those that still might not get it here's a great video from Matty Amendola about using it on the elements of a mix:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOK0Kp5AI3k
Old 12-26-2015, 12:45 PM

I get that it may not make one mic sound exactly like another... But I do also believe it should get you somewhere in the vicinity. Close enough to make your mic sound like another.

It won't make a huge difference if you already have a few nice mics, but for those on a lower budget it will give them some desperately needed tonal variation.

Believe it or not, I actually want this so I can stick it on my reverbs. My view is to not see a reverb as simply adding an acoustic space footprint to my sound, but I view it more as emulating a given mic position within a room picking up on the whole arrangement as such. This helps give everything a more consolidated sound.

This is why eq roll offs and a bit of distortion can help to a degree, because it begins emulating the character of a real microphone, at least from my perspective.

I think sticking a plugin like this on reverb has a potential to really help it sit in a mix.

Mind you throwing it on vocals and other instruments just for a shift in tonality would be incredibly useful as well!!

I only wish the models were more inclusive. Hopefully, they will cover more in updates.
Old 12-26-2015, 01:30 PM

I'm not a fan of IK's business model, but given my favorable experience with their classic compressor stuff, I wouldn't doubt the accuracy of their mic modeling. But the input source is highly variable, and I would doubt any company's solution to "transform" one mic into another (even with super accurate modeling) because there just is no way to predict everything about the input source. But I get the impression that this is indeed a "ballpark" mic sim, so it might be worth trying before showing it your chin.