It's a Universal Binary, so runs natively on Intel & ARM64
It requires macOS 10.10 Yosemite minimum
Plugin reporting now only reports active plugins
Plugin reporting now only reports AAX plugins
Plugin reporting now reports plugin architecture - Intel/ARM/Universal
Plugin reporting can now export an Excel of the installed AAX plugins
The main window is resizable - for the plugin list
It only supports 64 bit Pro Tools installations now

It's scarily different & simplified. Extra options, such as individual trashing/restoring, will appear when everything is working reliably (it is here, but that never means much!). The idea now when you trash preferences is that a backup is made first then preferences are trashed. In the restore page you can select from the backup snapshots.

Get back to me with problems, this is beta software so take care, though the worst that should ever happen is trashed preferences!

Pete

Last edited by Pete Gates; 12-05-2022 at 11:26 AM.
Old 08-30-2022, 08:48 AM

Default Re: New PT Prefs helper

Thanks Pete.

Dominic
Old 08-30-2022, 10:56 AM

Thumbs up, Pete.

Looks very nice.
With the simplification/streamlining it seem less intimidating than v1.
Old 09-03-2022, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Gates View Post
PT Prefs 2 Beta 1

Right... here's a long awaited beta of a complete rewrite of PT Prefs:

It's a Universal Binary, so runs natively on Intel & ARM64
It requires macOS 10.10 Yosemite minimum
Plugin reporting now only reports active plugins
Plugin reporting now only reports AAX plugins
Plugin reporting now reports plugin architecture - Intel/ARM/Universal
Plugin reporting can now export an Excel of the installed AAX plugins
The main window is resizable - for the plugin list
It only supports 64 bit Pro Tools installations now

It's scarily different & simplified. Extra options, such as individual trashing/restoring, will appear when everything is working reliably (it is here, but that never means much!). The idea now when you trash preferences is that a backup is made first then preferences are trashed. In the restore page you can select from the backup snapshots.

Get back to me with problems, this is beta software so take care, though the worst that should ever happen is trashed preferences!

Pete
Hi Pete,

Thanks for the update. Is the idea behind restoring the preferences from the backup snapshots so that you can easily go back to your preferred preferences without having to manually enter every single one by hand after a preference trash?

Dave

Pro Tools Ultimate 2022.12 / OSX Monterey 12.6.2
Avid HD Omni / HD IO 8x8x8 / HDX Sonnet Echo Express 3
iMac Pro 3GHz, 10 Core, 64 GB
Old 09-05-2022, 12:25 AM

Hey Dave,
Yup, exactly. It's slightly "over-engineered" in being able to take multiple date-stamped backups but I thought I'd do it thoroughly in case anyone does use that. Personally, never use the backup or restore features! I always manually re-enter the preference settings.

Cheers,
Pete
Old 09-06-2022, 07:25 AM

WOW!!! this is amazing!!
I think the backup snapshots will be extremely useful.
Given extremely hectic schedules and deadlines, some of us depend on Prefs backups. Having the ability to have snapshots will simplify installing PT Updates and the associated trashing and restoring that comes with it. One useful thing to think about would be the ability to label the snapshots manually. For example, when installing a new system or a major PT update, I usually start from scratch and manually re-enter all prefs and settings how I like them and then create a backup. It would be great to be able to label this as "Clean Prefs 6 Sept 2022" or something like that, so that when trashing and restoring, it's easy to see which snapshot to go back to. Apologies if this is already in there, I'm just checking this out now and very excited.
Thank you so much for creating, maintaining, and improving this extremely valuable tool...FOR FREE!! Is there a Donate link to help with maintenance costs, etc.?
Old 09-06-2022, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Gates View Post
Hey Dave,
Yup, exactly. It's slightly "over-engineered" in being able to take multiple date-stamped backups but I thought I'd do it thoroughly in case anyone does use that. Personally, never use the backup or restore features! I always manually re-enter the preference settings.

Cheers,
Pete
I, as well, just quickly reset any preferences. Takes me about 60 seconds at most.

in my experiences of many many years, the fresher the prefs files, the happier PT is.

i would literally *never* restore any prefs file.

thanks for all your work though... i tried your new version... it is nice, less scary, and slick. bravo!!! you are a legend.
Old 09-06-2022, 10:33 AM

This is great, Pete! We'll give it a go and report any issues.
Old 09-06-2022, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by originalscottyg View Post
It would be great to be able to label this as "Clean Prefs 6 Sept 2022" or something like that, so that when trashing and restoring, it's easy to see which snapshot to go back to. Apologies if this is already in there, I'm just checking this out now and very excited.
Hey,
No it's not there and that did occur to me too the other day so I will implement that. You can actually rename the snapshot folders and they'll show up in the list if you restart the program but I will make it so you can name the backups as you make them.

Cheers,
Pete
Old 09-06-2022, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MixerGuy View Post
I, as well, just quickly reset any preferences. Takes me about 60 seconds at most.

in my experiences of many many years, the fresher the prefs files, the happier PT is.

i would literally *never* restore any prefs file.

thanks for all your work though... i tried your new version... it is nice, less scary, and slick. bravo!!! you are a legend.
Is there any reason why a restored preference file might not be as good as just manually re-entering the preferences? I’m pretty ignorant when it comes to computers, I still don’t understand technically why preferences have to be trashed periodically or why the ProTools app itself can’t be made to handle this itself. But I know that when I stop trashing preferences weird problems eventually pop up. I’ve always manually reentered preferences myself but thought it would be cool if I could do it with a touch of a button within the ProTools helper app.

Pro Tools Ultimate 2022.12 / OSX Monterey 12.6.2
Avid HD Omni / HD IO 8x8x8 / HDX Sonnet Echo Express 3
iMac Pro 3GHz, 10 Core, 64 GB