Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10

Old 01-13-2013, 02:39 PM

Default Scroll behavior when you stop--stay where you stop, or go back to playback point?

I'm wondering if I've changed a preference without meaning to...

I usually have "Insertion Follows Playback" enabled (EDITED), so if I stop and restart, it goes back to the selection point. What I remember, though, is that when I stopped before, and before I hit play again, the scrolling view remained at the stopping point, so I could edit something I saw in front of me that had scrolled into view.

Now, whenever I stop with the space bar, the display jumps back to the current start point, usually to the left of where I want to be, so I have to scroll right to find the spot I want to edit. Previously, if I wanted to see where I began, it was easy enough just to hit play for a second. Now I don't really have the option of immediately looking at the place where I stopped. Any ideas? I checked the manual, but it can be hard to find the right search term, especially when there's a lot of information there that's not quite what you need, but close.

thanks

Running 10.3.3 on OSX 10.8.2

EDIT: I should mention I usually have the scrolling set to "page".
Old 01-13-2013, 05:41 PM

Default Re: Scroll behavior when you stop--stay where you stop, or go back to playback point?

I think you are talking about the operation preference Timeline Insertion/Play Start Marker Follows Playback?
Old 01-13-2013, 08:19 PM

Default Re: Scroll behavior when you stop--stay where you stop, or go back to playback point?

Thanks guys for the responses. It wasn't quite the issue I was having, but strangely enough, toggling that preference you mentioned seemed to help. It wasn't what happened on the next "play" command, it was just jumping back to the starting place in the window when I stopped. It might have had something to do with an open Audiosuite window. Another issue was that it wasn't always accepting a new insertion point if I clicked on a new point in the track. It would jump back to the most recent one.

Could be user error, as usual. I'm in graphic autotune hell, and might be jumping around too fast.

thanks again
Old 01-13-2013, 08:34 PM

No--it's still doing it. It's not that pref. Check out my two posts. Different issue. I'm currently running an old version of Autotune in Audiosuite, but I'm doing it without the time buffer. The plug is actually working fine. But I'm wondering if the extra graphics window is throwing a wrench in the works.

Too busy to check other operating modes at this point, but swear I've seen this without Audiosuite as well. I don't think it's plug-related.
Old 01-13-2013, 08:50 PM

"Insertion Follows Playback" is the button on the right, and the one to toggle this behavior.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 01-13-2013, 10:16 PM

Nope, nope, and nope. I know I created some confusion with my original post, because I listed the wrong pref, but I just edited that.

It's holding on to the original insertion point correctly, it's that the DISPLAY sometimes jumps back to the start point after I've stopped before I even hit "start" again. It's intermittent.

I'm actually thinking it might be something like a double-hit from the spacebar coming from my well-worn USB keyboard. So if it double-toggles, first time it would stop, then the second time somehow it goes back to the start point and begin, but then it would have to be hit again, so that it's stopped. So that doesn't make sense. Either way, it happens about every fourth time.
Old 01-14-2013, 05:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bashville View Post
Nope, nope, and nope. I know I created some confusion with my original post, because I listed the wrong pref, but I just edited that.

It's holding on to the original insertion point correctly, it's that the DISPLAY sometimes jumps back to the start point after I've stopped before I even hit "start" again. It's intermittent.

I'm actually thinking it might be something like a double-hit from the spacebar coming from my well-worn USB keyboard. So if it double-toggles, first time it would stop, then the second time somehow it goes back to the start point and begin, but then it would have to be hit again, so that it's stopped. So that doesn't make sense. Either way, it happens about every fourth time.
Am I reading right that you have an external keyboard hooked up to your Macbook laptop? If so be aware that OSX is actually looking at both keyboards at the same time and if something glitches on the one not being used it will affect the system. I run into that with a Mac Mini I use for Photoshop and internet with two mice (actually one is a trackball and one is a mouse) - the system actually sees both at the same time and if one moved it can't really tell which one it's coming from.

That's the great thing with OSX - you can have multiple devices like a keyboard or pointing device hooked up at the same time but it can also cause weird problems.

QAPLA!
Old 01-14-2013, 07:21 AM

Yes my thoughts are running in that direction at the moment. I'm also wondering if there's another command I'm invoking somehow that snaps the display back to the start point without playing.

I've got an external keyboard and mouse going, a USB Drobo, an external monitor on the HDMI port, plus 3 Thunderbolt externals and two or three Firewire devices hooked up, so there's a plethora of sources to troubleshoot. But it would be interesting to know if anybody else is having a similar issue.
Old 01-14-2013, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bashville View Post
Yes my thoughts are running in that direction at the moment. I'm also wondering if there's another command I'm invoking somehow that snaps the display back to the start point without playing.

I've got an external keyboard and mouse going, a USB Drobo, an external monitor on the HDMI port, plus 3 Thunderbolt externals and two or three Firewire devices hooked up, so there's a plethora of sources to troubleshoot. But it would be interesting to know if anybody else is having a similar issue.
The first thing to try is to disconnect the USB keyboard and try the laptop's keyboard - change nothing else.

QAPLA!
Old 01-14-2013, 12:01 PM

ah, yes I have been experiencing I think the same issue with my setup..yes I have an external keyboard inside my voiceover recording booth

I will keep an eye on this thread

www.soundcloud.com/piersgibbon

VOICEOVER - Avalon 737sp/Focusrite Saffire Pro 40/Neumann + Rode inside an Esmono voiceover studio (+ Source Connect, Prima LT, Sonifex TBU, Sonnox plugins)

Record: MBP 13 inch mid 2012, 2.9 ghz i7 8gig ram, PT 11, GDrive Professional Ext Hard Drive

Backup:15 inch early 2008 MBP, OSX 10.10.2

(+Windows 7 PC running Audio TX isdn and tbu codec)

Edit: PT Express 10.3.4 on 13-inch, Late 2010 MacBook Air, OS X 10.10.4