Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-13-2009, 11:49 PM

Default 8.0 cs3--Dont hear take while recording...

So, besides the butt load of weird "assertion" errors, crashes, spinning wheels and other BS that has killed my productivity since I moved to PT8, all of a sudden, when I am recording I sometimes do not hear the take even though the wave forms show up on the track...

Any thoughts?

Thanks-

Last edited by scottleader; 10-13-2009 at 11:50 PM. Reason: spelling...
Old 10-14-2009, 01:49 AM

Default Re: 8.0 cs3--Dont hear take while recording...

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottleader View Post
So, besides the butt load of weird "assertion" errors, crashes, spinning wheels and other BS that has killed my productivity since I moved to PT8, all of a sudden, when I am recording I sometimes do not hear the take even though the wave forms show up on the track...

Any thoughts?

Thanks-
Hi,

If you're getting so many problems then its time for drastic troubleshooting.

Uninstall PT.

trash all prefs and database files using this app.... .http://duc.digidesign.com/showthread.php?t=190122

Reboot the mac

install new download of PT8

Install 8.0.1 update

MAKE SURE ALL PLUGINS ARE UP TO DATE AND COMPATIBLE!!!!

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 10-14-2009, 07:42 AM

*sigh*
Chris, I think you are correct.
I fear 8.0.1 though, based on reading the posts on here.
Old 10-14-2009, 08:44 AM

I too have had this in cs3. Makes one look somewhat of a a plum!

cheers

Mike Aiton BSc (hons)
Audio Consultant, Dubbing Mixer/Sound Designer & Journalist

BAFTA member
IPS member

----------------------------------------------------------------------
www.mikerophonics.com
Old 10-14-2009, 08:52 AM

Ummm, this has been happening since PT7 at least, if not earlier - I'm sure most of you have come across it if you're tracking a lot of records. Been here forever, annoys the crap out of me and the artist always thinks that I haven't put it into record.

Sig
Old 10-14-2009, 08:58 AM

Seems worse in 8 to me

cheers

Mike Aiton BSc (hons)
Audio Consultant, Dubbing Mixer/Sound Designer & Journalist

BAFTA member
IPS member

----------------------------------------------------------------------
www.mikerophonics.com
Old 10-14-2009, 09:07 AM

Its much worse in 8. I could go two weeks 10 hours a day with 7.3 and no issues at all. Now its something every hour of every day.
I have checked plug ins, settings, trashed prefs, reinstalled, etc etc etc... I have spent hours on the phone with tech support. (And paid for it I might add which makes me sick to my stomach.)

Digi. I beg you. Please. You can keep my money I paid for the upgrade but please return my old 7.4 authorization. I beg you!

I can not work like this anymore. I am like a week away from selling all this shiz and learning Logic. My client's are getting annoyed at the constant restarts and crashes and honestly, it makes me look like I don't know what I am doing.
Old 10-14-2009, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Digi. I beg you. Please. You can keep my money I paid for the upgrade but please return my old 7.4 authorization. I beg you!
Scott, you should have your 7.4 authorization on your ilok if you did not sell it.

I purchased v8 a couple of weeks after it came out and i'm still on 7.4, v8 has been too unstable for me. Did not had the time to search too much either, so that's why i'm still on 7.4.

But i have the bug you'r talking about once in a while (maybe once per 2 weeks) in 7.4. For the rest it's rock solid.

Luc

Last edited by audioluche; 10-14-2009 at 11:15 AM. Reason: bad spelling
Old 10-14-2009, 02:44 PM
Avid

Quote:
Its much worse in 8. I could go two weeks 10 hours a day with 7.3 and no issues at all. Now its something every hour of every day.
I have checked plug ins, settings, trashed prefs, reinstalled, etc etc etc... I have spent hours on the phone with tech support. (And paid for it I might add which makes me sick to my stomach.)

I can not work like this anymore. I am like a week away from selling all this shiz and learning Logic. My client's are getting annoyed at the constant restarts and crashes and honestly, it makes me look like I don't know what I am doing.
Scott - I'm finding that, all too often, the crashes and other problems are caused by various misconfigurations. Plug-ins are a BIG factor - I will direct you to this thread where you will see much of the same complaints resolved by removing/updating incompatible plug-ins and a few other reconfigurations:

http://duc.digidesign.com/showthread.php?t=256039

I have several other DUC threads very similar to that. I've also done direct troubleshooting for several customers, all who are working fine once we configured things properly.

I would strongly recommend going through your plug-ins and making sure they're not compatible, removing or updating ones that aren't. If it's not on the list, assume it's not compatible.

Trash preferences after doing so so that all plug-in data can be re-cached.

Pro Tools Plug-In Compatibility Grid

Also, verify that you've done the optimizations and troubleshooting from the General Troubleshooting thread, as that often has improved stability for many customers.
Old 10-14-2009, 03:13 PM

Scott, I of course believe you when you say that you are having all of these problems. The flip side of this is that, in my case at least, I have been running 8.0.1 since it came out and have been tracking drums, bass, guitars, vocals, horns and doing a bunch of editing with not a single problem. I did what was suggested and made sure that all of my plugins were up to date before installing even the 1st version of 8 and have had no problems with anything. I've even used a few VI's, Ivory, B4II, Melotron Pro etc and things have been going great.

Chris is right, you might be surprised to find out that things end up going a hell of a lot better after checking for and correcting compatibility issues.