Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments

Old 08-24-2008, 12:08 AM

Exclamation You can export midi in strike

This is actually my reply to a post by Riggi that answered the question in one of the many threads complaining about this feature in Strike.

I figured it was important enough to have it's own thread with a suitable title

I really enjoy using Strike, and love a lot of the sounds. With this techinque mastered, it really makes it a powerfull tool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by riggi
Here's how to do it... Plain and Easy.

1. Get STRYKE on screen
2. Play a pattern from start to where you want to stop.
3. Select EXPORT MIDI and drag it onto the EDIT window where there are NO TRACKS set. Usually at the bottom of the edit window.
4. A window will open up asking if you want to make a new track. Select NEW TRACK, and answer any of the options to your liking from this same window.
5. It will create 2,3,4,5,etc... NEW TRACKS that have individual STRYKE tracks labelled with their corresponding MIDI CHANNEL labeled as well, in the track name. <TOO COOL!
6. Select the corresponding STRYKE midi channel that matches the track name label. <TOO EASY!
7. Press play and watch the INDIVIDUAL NOTES play the corresponding STRYKE instrument. <EVEN COOLER!
8. Edit these notes as you wish in the midi domain.
9. Go back to STRYKE AND play the next pattern from start to where you want to stop.
10. Continue from Step 3.

BONUS NOTES: if you drag the next patterns onto NEW TRACKS you can always cut and paste the midi information from these new tracks to the existing tracks you set up the first time you started EXPORT MIDI from STRYKE. This will keep the edit window neat and clutterfree. <YOU'LL LOVE THIS WHEN YOUR PATTERN PROGRAMMING GETS INTENSE.

ENJOY!

STRYKE IS the best drum machine out there!!!!

Riggi.

It does work. I just did it (nice job Riggi)

But I will clarify a few of the steps.

#2. Just use the buttons on the bottom of the Main window (in Style mode), or trigger patterns from a midi controller.
For my example I used the 'Art Rock+130' preset and pressed the 'G1 Play:ArtRock-Verse D' button and let it play 4 measures. Then I pressed the red stop button.

#3. Click and HOLD the 'Export Midi' button as you drag it to the bottom (empty) part of the edit window.

#5. In my example it created 4 new midi tracks. They were automatically named as follows:

Strk:KckCh.3
Strk:SnrCh.4
Strk:ElSnrCh.5
Strk:HtsCh.6

#6. This is probably the most important step....listen carefully ,

Go to the mix window and assign the midi out of each of these new tracks to the midi channel (in Strike of course) that corresponds to the name they were automatically given.
In my example I assigned them to Strike midi channels 3,4,5 and 6, with 3 being the kick, 4 the snare, 5 the El Snare and 6 the high hats. ( Channel 6 included midi notes for both open and closed hats)

That's it. It works.

The only other thing I did was shorten the duration of the midi notes it created in the edit window, as they extended from the 'note on' location to the next note. In other words, if the kick only hit on the first beat of each measure, the note would extend all the way across the measure, with just a small break before the first beat of the next measure.

Try it....... and then please stop bitching about it

Last edited by 77pro; 08-24-2008 at 12:31 AM. Reason: clarification
Old 08-24-2008, 05:55 AM

The bad part is that an exported Strike performance won't take advantage of complexity and some other style parameters. It is easier to edit drums in PT, but we wish we could IMPORT into Strike.
Old 08-24-2008, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicalavtech View Post
The bad part is that an exported Strike performance won't take advantage of complexity and some other style parameters. It is easier to edit drums in PT, but we wish we could IMPORT into Strike.
Which only makes sense....the style paramaters such as complexity are done within-in Srike's engine in real-time. Once you export to midi tracks, it will obviously only play what's on the track...it's now up to the user to change the performance and complexity as you see fit.

So you can either let Strike decide how to change up the patterns, or you can do it yourself.

That being said...export midi will record the complexity changes that you make in real time as the original performance is being played...which is pretty cool. (I just assigned the 'intensity' and 'complexity' sliders in Stike's main page to 2 faders on my Radium 49 for easier control as the performance is playing)

And you can still use all the mixer and kit functions in Strike with the exported midi files...which gives you a lot of control over the sound.

The main point of my post was that the export midi function does work....it's just the documentation of this function was a little vague.
Old 08-25-2008, 12:30 AM

Default Re: You can export midi in strike

It still doesn't work today and hasn't worked since day one! Bitching? Sick of bitching! Just fix the bloody thing already, need I remind you that it's Strike's second birthday in December.

Sorry, but it's a piss poor reflection on their Quality Assurance and Beta Program.

filosofem
Old 08-25-2008, 01:44 AM

But you can edit styles and save them as your own, and in this manner you can configure the behaviour of certain kit pieces under varying complexity and intensity levels.
Old 08-25-2008, 08:14 AM

Yes, well the export midi is working, now suppose that i want to export 1 performance, then what happen with a second performance? and how can I join one after the other to fit in tempo or grid line? should I create 4 to 7 new midi tracks each time I want to export a performance?
Old 08-25-2008, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranas View Post
Yes, well the export midi is working, now suppose that i want to export 1 performance, then what happen with a second performance? and how can I join one after the other to fit in tempo or grid line? should I create 4 to 7 new midi tracks each time I want to export a performance?

Just drag the next performance to an area in front of the tracks already exported, then put them in 'region' view and drag them back to the end of the first tracks.
Old 08-25-2008, 10:40 AM

ok thanks, I will work ( or try ), in any case I will do what filosofem said, record each piece of audio and join. the problem exporting the midi in this way is a question of feeling.
But I am happy to hear that others complain about strike, because this can be useful for AIR people to change and improve this product. Ive beeing working with vrtual drums 3 years so I know where to go when I want to record a drum track without a real drummer.
I think filosofem and others maybe ar a bit dissapointed about some strike features. ( I agree with them but on the other hand I have a lot of good things to say about some other features of strike )
anyway thanks for the answers
Old 08-25-2008, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77pro View Post
I used the 'Art Rock+130' preset and pressed the 'G1 Play:ArtRock-Verse D' button and let it play 4 measures. Then I pressed the red stop button.
This example is not a Performance, a Performance as described by the Strike Plug-In Guide version 1.0.1 is a Verse, a Fill and a Chorus for example, in other words a sequence of Patterns not one Pattern.

Yes, I can export one Pattern but I can not and never have been able to export a 'Performance'.

filosofem
Old 08-26-2008, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by filosofem View Post
This example is not a Performance, a Performance as described by the Strike Plug-In Guide version 1.0.1 is a Verse, a Fill and a Chorus for example, in other words a sequence of Patterns not one Pattern.

Yes, I can export one Pattern but I can not and never have been able to export a 'Performance'.
When I first read your reply filo, I thought 'crap'....he's probably right. I originally did check the export midi with just one pattern. But I was at work, and had no way to check until I got home.

But when I got home I immediately fired up protools and did another check.

And it worked.

With multiple verses, chorus's, fills....and even one of the ending patterns.

First time.

No doubt it works. I'm not sure how you are doing it, but it's most definitely working here.

One more thing to check before you export, there can't be any midi notes on the inst. track that Strike is inserted on or the new tracks won't be generated.

Hope you can get it working..and get your confidence back on this great plug!!!