Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-16-2008, 07:03 PM

Default HI just a question !

Hi !

Right now im recording my drums overheads with pair of SM94 shure mics and sound s well. But im searshing for a more airy sound in overheads ! I made a search on google on this and found a comparison article with a few mic including the Oktava mk12 mics , and i like the sound oh them But tried to find i place to buy and cant find it ! Anyway can you trow some models t check out ! If posible websites with mp3 examples !

Thanks !
Old 02-16-2008, 10:59 PM

Default Re: HI just a question !

Quote:
Hi !

Right now im recording my drums overheads with pair of SM94 shure mics and sound s well. But im searshing for a more airy sound in overheads ! I made a search on google on this and found a comparison article with a few mic including the Oktava mk12 mics , and i like the sound oh them But tried to find i place to buy and cant find it ! Anyway can you trow some models t check out ! If posible websites with mp3 examples !

Thanks !
Personally I've never cared for any of the Oktava mics. If you're looking for something inexpensive, and depending on the room you're recording your drums in, you could try a couple of PZM's. Stick these on your walls (left and right) and they get a beautiful light and airy room sound. Also try a low freq room mic on the floor about 4 to 6 feet in front of the kick drum. Between these two room mic set-ups you can do just about anything. You can listen to my kit at www.rickqueststudio.com
Old 02-17-2008, 08:26 AM

Well, I just read a review of the Mojave MA100 that was a glowing as I have seen so I would give a pair of those a serious look. Other solid choices include Shure KSM32, AKG 414, Neumann KM184 or Joe Meek JM27 and MXK V6(budget). Any mic will be compromised by bad acoustics so take a look at your recording space. If you have a low ceiling, you desperately need some acoustic treatment or you need to get creative with small diaphragm condensers and point them up at the ceiling as close as you can get without actually touching. This gives a similar effect to a PZM mic and will reduce the comb-filtering from the sound bouncing off the ceiling.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 02-17-2008, 09:10 AM

for sure a loaded gun question. budget is needed to be known. what kind of preamp you are using. what size and condition your room is in. ldc condensors are more traditional, though sdc's do work well. years ago i used to use the mk 012's (willing to sell if interested) but have moved up over the years. the sm 81's sounded a bit better i thought, akg 451's are a big step up from there, they kick but on about any acoustic instrument i have tried. did a album years a couple years ago with a pair of 414 tlI's that was very nice, but only own 1 now not a pair. albee mentioned the ma-100. i own a ma-200 and if the 100 is the same quality which i am sure it is, it would be very nice. i would love to get another ma-200 and have a pair,they are beautiful. but the price difference between mk 012's and ma-100 or something is HUGE...

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 4-11-2024)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10