Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools | Carbon
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-30-2023, 09:47 PM

Default Re: Carbon and Delay Compensation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Hepworth View Post
The tracks will sound in time DURING recording, but MAY be out of time on playback. This depends on many factors. In my experience your new tracks may print up to 1500 samples early.
That’s what exactly happens to me with my Apogee element 88. It works flawlessly in PT here, except for that issue. I found a workaround disabling Delay Compensation in recording. In this way both during recording and during playback processes all the tracks are in sync.
I thought that Carbon could solve this issue due to its no latency option. But I can see that it is not so….
ITALY
Old 05-03-2023, 11:33 PM

I had an AVID Customer response for this:

Quote:
Recording with delay compensation is not recommended.

What happens is that what you're listening when recording is actually Pro Tools compensating for any delay that it's being introduced, so when you stop and listen to the recording real time, your recording will either be delayed or start early.

What I would suggest is use a lower buffer size and depending on your computer's capabilities, freeze other tracks that have plugins that you think might be introducing latency.
And it clearly does happen both with Carbon and with other interfaces
ITALY
Old 05-04-2023, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Hepworth View Post
This is not always the case, unfortunately. In the more than two years I've owned Carbon I've encountered this issue at some point every single session I've used it on. It cannot be trusted, at least in MY work flow and MY experience.

I run the same way as described in the Sound on Sound review.
Yes I saw that some people like you are encountering this issue, I never had it myself using Carbon quite everyday since 16 months...BUT I don't use much VI directly in Ptools as I prefer using VEP so of my my VIs are on another computer feeding Ptools, maybe that's why I don't get the issue.
Old 05-04-2023, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Yes I saw that some people like you are encountering this issue, I never had it myself using Carbon quite everyday since 16 months...BUT I don't use much VI directly in Ptools as I prefer using VEP so of my my VIs are on another computer feeding Ptools, maybe that's why I don't get the issue.
But do you use Delay Compensation during recording or not?
ITALY
Old 05-06-2023, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnstudio View Post
But do you use Delay Compensation during recording or not?
Yes I do
Old 05-21-2023, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LFO View Post
I don't use VIs at all. I also don't put anything that adds more than 33 samples anywhere in the sessions during tracking.