Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-12-2017, 11:22 AM

Default Could Not Save Session Error

Well, I haven't seen this one in a long time. I'm working on a session, and I go to save after making some edits and I get "Could not save session because while translating tracks". Besides the fact that the message is NOT a complete sentence (because while translating tracks WHAT?????!!!!????)
I have no idea what this means...at all. There's nothing unusual about this session. I created it from scratch and I've saved and worked on it several times over the past couple weeks. I'm not using any different plugins or VI"s than I use in many other sessions. This makes no sense to me!

These kind of unexplanable out-of-the-blue errors are real kill joys! I'm on a roll, inspired with some great ideas, and WHAM! shut down...for NO reason!

I wish someone from Avid would explain this error in detail, exactly what causes it, and how to address it. Does anyone know? So frustrated!!!!!

Old 04-12-2017, 11:56 AM

Default Re: Could Not Save Session Error

I remember that one, from several years/versions back. Can't remember ever having seen a fix/explanation.

Maybe a import to a new blank session could be a sort of fix?
Old 04-12-2017, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Jenssen View Post
I remember that one, from several years/versions back. Can't remember ever having seen a fix/explanation.

Maybe a import to a new blank session could be a sort of fix?
Yeah, I haven't seen for quite a while either. I have no idea what "because while translating tracks" means. Its bad English!! I rebooted my PC, and re-booted the session and it was all there...oddly INCLUDING the edits I had made that I thought it said it couldn't save...but it did. Curiouser and Curiouser! But, PT had other goodies in store for me today. So, I'm working with East-West Symphonic choirs, composing a section for a movie trailer cue, and I need to set up an aux track for a submix for the 4 choir parts. As soon as I get the Aux track...total crash. TWICE. Sent crash report to Avid on that one.

I'm getting a bit suspicious that the culprit might be the Symphonic choirs modules themselves. I'm using the Wordbuilder version because I want to create text for the choir, and I think it is not playing nicely with PT. I posted a message on their forums about it...so we'll see. I vaguely recall seeing someone post something about wordbuilder causing issues with DAWs, either here or on the EW forums.

Old 04-12-2017, 02:46 PM

I had that error a bunch when using EastWest orchestral stuff in PT 12.4 on Windows 7. It was a horrible frustration. I got in the habit of saving after every little thing I did, and often resorted to importing tracks into a blank session to stave it off.

Oddly, I haven't had any trouble with Symphonic Choir and World Builder, which is mostly what I've been working with lately. It's been perfectly stable. I haven't done anything else on Windows since upgrading to 12.7, so maybe it's fixed? I do think Play is torture for PT, though, especially the giant piano patches. I'm thinking of moving to Studio One for orchestral composing in the future.

PT 2023.12 Ultimate | Clarett+ 8Pre | macOS 13.6.3 on a MacBook Pro M1 Max
PT 2023.12 | Saffire Pro 40 | Win10 latest, HP Z440 64GB
Old 04-12-2017, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daeron80 View Post
I had that error a bunch when using EastWest orchestral stuff in PT 12.4 on Windows 7. It was a horrible frustration. I got in the habit of saving after every little thing I did, and often resorted to importing tracks into a blank session to stave it off.

Oddly, I haven't had any trouble with Symphonic Choir and World Builder, which is mostly what I've been working with lately. It's been perfectly stable. I haven't done anything else on Windows since upgrading to 12.7, so maybe it's fixed? I do think Play is torture for PT, though, especially the giant piano patches. I'm thinking of moving to Studio One for orchestral composing in the future.
Yeah...I suspect you're right about PLAY and PT. Though, I usually don't have any issues with any of the orchestral stuff...just Choirs and worldbuilder. I"m on Win-7, PT 12.7, so pretty up to date, and I have 24gig ram, and separate HD's for OS, Pro Tools Session, EW Libraries on their own drive, and 2 other drives for other samples.