Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-23-2017, 04:39 AM

Default Can't change buffer size, It is stuck in 512 and 1024. How can I do to change it?

Hi,
I am new in Pro Tools and I can't get a lower buffer size. I'm using Focusrite 2i2 (first gen) and I have latency even though having a clean channel.
I've been using this Focusrite with Cubase, Reaper, Maschine, Logic and is working well. Can anyone help me, please??

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled.jpg (43.8 KB, 0 views)
Old 12-23-2017, 05:33 AM

Default Re: Can't change buffer size, It is stuck in 512 and 1024. How can I do to change it?

You can start by going through the Help Us To Help You link that's at the top of every page. Other than surmising you're on a Mac of some sort because you tried Logic and what interface you have you give zero information on your system. There's a lot of knowledgeable people here but we're not mind readers or remote viewers. No such thing as TMI (too much information) that can be given when asking for help here.

QAPLA!
Old 12-23-2017, 08:20 AM

Default Re: Can't change buffer size, It is stuck in 512 and 1024. How can I do to change it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariel Chimba View Post
Hi,
I am new in Pro Tools and I can't get a lower buffer size. I'm using Focusrite 2i2 (first gen) and I have latency even though having a clean channel.
I've been using this Focusrite with Cubase, Reaper, Maschine, Logic and is working well. Can anyone help me, please??
as we are waiting for your system info ... is there a Focusrite DRIVER software ?? this might be stopping you from changing your buffer to lower .. and since PC, looks like you are on a PC by the window shot of the Red X in the right upper corner ..

i am a mac person so a PC person should be along soon .. info please ..

Macbook Pro july 2014 2.5ghz 16gb ram 512gb SSD - OS11.6.5 - PT 2021.3
Logic Pro X 10.7.4
RME BabyFace Pro
Old 12-23-2017, 09:07 AM

Hi, I am using PC.
Thank you for your help. I went to Help Us Help you and I've got help.
I didn't set up the buffer length, so I went to "Hardware Setting" and clicked "Lunch Setup App " and came out the "Global Settings window". I just I adjusted the "Buffer Length". Then came back to "Playback Engine" and now I have more sample to choose.
As I said before I am new in Pro Tools.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled.jpg (33.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (44.9 KB, 0 views)
Old 12-23-2017, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Hi, I am using PC.
I didn't set up the buffer length, so I went to "Hardware Setting" and clicked "Lunch Setup App " and came out the "Global Settings window". I just I adjusted the "Buffer Length". Then came back to "Playback Engine" and now I have more sample to choose.
That you are using a PC doesn't mean much. We still need complete system info - you know things like what exact operating system are you using, what computer, what exact PT version, etc. What audio drivers are you using? You're only prolonging getting any real help without this info.

How did you try your interface in Logic if you're using a Windows computer? Logic only runs on a Mac (unless you also tried the interface on a Mac).

QAPLA!
Old 12-23-2017, 09:38 AM

Hi musicman691,
Thank you answers.
I'm using a Toshiba satellite (Laptop) with Windows 8, Pro Tools 12.8.2, Focusrite 2i2 (1st Gen). I did those step that I described before and now it's working well. It's fixed.
Old 12-23-2017, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Hi, I am using PC.
sounds like you are good to go !!!

Macbook Pro july 2014 2.5ghz 16gb ram 512gb SSD - OS11.6.5 - PT 2021.3
Logic Pro X 10.7.4
RME BabyFace Pro
Old 12-23-2017, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Hi musicman691,
Thank you answers.
I'm using a Toshiba satellite (Laptop) with Windows 8, Pro Tools 12.8.2, Focusrite 2i2 (1st Gen). I did those step that I described before and now it's working well. It's fixed.
Good you seem to have it fixed. Hopefully you've done ALL the optimization steps that need to be done. I used to use a Toshiba Satellite laptop when I ran Sonar and it had a bunch of not needed garbage. You need to get rid of or disable all that.

QAPLA!
Old 12-23-2017, 09:54 AM

Thank you all!!
yes, I am optimizing my Toshiba now to use it with Pro Tools properly.
For sure I will have more questions later on hahaha.
Old 12-23-2017, 11:17 AM

The issue you're having is because you have a third party interface. What you can change within PT is dependent on the third party interface's drivers. In most instances, you have to change the buffer size in the third party interface's dialogue, BEFORE you can change the buffer size in Pro Tools. With some third party interface's drivers, you also have to change the bit and sample rate in the third party interface's dialogue BEFORE you can do so in Pro Tools.

Also, looking at the Disk cache size you have set, you must only have some very small sessions.

You may also want to look at this thread for optimizing suggestions for Windows users.
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction