Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-29-2023, 12:52 PM

Default Re: Which plug ins are broken in PT 2023.3 and why?!?

Tone Projects released a maintenance update to fix compatibility with Pro Tools 2023.3

Quote:
We have released maintenance updates for all our plugins: Unisum Mastering Compressor, Kelvin Tone Shaper, Basslane Pro, and the free Basslane. The updates fix a compatibility issue with the new Pro Tools 2023.3 on Mac. You can skip this update if you're not using Pro Tools on Mac.

Old 03-29-2023, 01:10 PM

Wait a minute here... aren't we talking about plugins which worked in 2022.12 Native beta but were then "broken" when running in 2023.3 (the email above suggests so)? A plugin never being truly AS Native to begin with is one thing, but a once-worked-now-broken scenario is quite different.

I've heard in other places that this has in fact occurred with certain products, but what's odd is that it's not occurring consistently. Plugin A will break for User A, but User B is finding success.

In my case, I've not noticed any change jumping to 2023.3, and in fact I'd swear that a plugin or two which didn't open in 2022.12 now will (but I can't remove the possibility that it auto-updated).
Old 03-29-2023, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Lambert View Post
Wait a minute here... aren't we talking about plugins which worked in 2022.12 Native beta but were then "broken" when running in 2023.3 (the email above suggests so)? A plugin never being truly AS Native to begin with is one thing, but a once-worked-now-broken scenario is quite different.

I've heard in other places that this has in fact occurred with certain products, but what's odd is that it's not occurring consistently. Plugin A will break for User A, but User B is finding success.

In my case, I've not noticed any change jumping to 2023.3, and in fact I'd swear that a plugin or two which didn't open in 2022.12 now will (but I can't remove the possibility that it auto-updated).
Clearly that is what Tone Projects is reporting. And in their change logs they say things like "- MAC: Fixed dropdown menus not responding in Pro Tools 2023.3" Which it's while maybe unclear they are talking about sure seems something real given they released an update. Kudos to them for moving so fast...and already having already done AAX Apple silicon native support... great to see that.

There are just lots of potential things/bugs that could be introduced in a plugin that might break things with even minor DAW changes. Tone Projects don't seem to provide any way of downloading past builds/versions, so no easy way of doing retroactive detective work unless you already have the plugin.
Old 03-29-2023, 04:16 PM

For me the biggest show stoppers are Neutron from iZotope and Nugen audio plugins.
Old 03-29-2023, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post

Likely you are running 2023.3 on an Apple silicon based Mac and the missing plugins are intel only.

Are their plugins ported to Apple Silicon Native? Have you tried running Pro Tools 2022.3 under Rosetta if they are Intel only? What does PT Prefs 2 show for the plugin type?
Something like the above by Darryl should be a sticky, clearly explaining the difference between (x64/Intel) and Apple Silicon Native plugins and the mystery of the lost plugins under 2023.3
And that there is a BIG difference between OLD Intel Macs and NEW M1/M2 Macs. And that Universal Binary will eventually go away (I think) as Intel plugins are completely fazed out of the DAW world.

And can we narrow all the different names (Apple Silicon Native, Universal Binary, AAX Silicon Native etc) down to one like AAX Native? Simple and most direct for Pro Tools users.

I'm sure Darryl or a moderator can make a sticky like this in no time! I think it is needed.
(16GB RAM, 1TB SSD internal)
Samsung T7 x a few
Samsung 980 Pro x 2 (in Acasis TB/USB 4 enclosures)
Apogee Ensemble Thunderbolt (my hero)
Old 03-30-2023, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mars100 View Post
I run 2023.3 PT but I am still forced using Rosetta option.
I have MCB 64GBRAM M1 and when installed PT 2023.3 I lost most of my plugins.
I almost always use PRO-1 from FabFilter and Source VC from Source elements - both not loading when using PT 2023.3.

You need to go to the manufacturers' sites and download the latest updates. I know for sure that FabFilter's plugins were recently updated and are working fine in AAX-silicon mode. Not sure about Source Elements. anyway go get your updates and see if that helps.
* Soundtoys + Valhalla + Fabfilter + Spitfire
* RME Fireface UCX II ~ Arturia Keylab Essential 49
* various clarinets, trumpets, flutes, plucky stringy thingies
Old 03-30-2023, 11:45 AM

Are all plugins listed in the 'Avid Complete Plug-in Bundle' allegedly Apple Silicon compliant?
Old 03-30-2023, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huzzam View Post
You need to go to the manufacturers' sites and download the latest updates. I know for sure that FabFilter's plugins were recently updated and are working fine in AAX-silicon mode. Not sure about Source Elements. anyway go get your updates and see if that helps.
Fab didn't update every plugin, so if he's talking about ProQ1 then no, it's not AAX-Native. They did however update ProQ2 which is a legacy plugin.

I don't know about Source Elements.
Old 03-30-2023, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch Griffin View Post
Are all plugins listed in the 'Avid Complete Plug-in Bundle' allegedly Apple Silicon compliant?
All except Structure Free. But be careful...

All plugins in the latest installers for Avid Complete Plugin Bundle are Apple Silicon native *except* Structure Free. Structure Free in the latest 2023.2 Air Instruments installer is Intel only while the other plugins in the installer are universal.

And be careful: Tape Echo and Studio Reverb show up in my account "My Products" as old installers that are Intel only.

As always make sure you install all the separate ACPB installers and are installing all the latest versions. Only Avid installers 2022.12 or later have any chance of having Apple silicon native plugin support in them, be cautious if any older ones are showing up in your account.

Be careful of things... like for me at least, Avid is still leaving old XPand2, Studio Reverb and Tape Echo installers in My Products downloads. If I would install the separate Studio Reverb and Tape Echo installers they could overwrite the later universal ones included in the Eleven Effects installer. And no Avid Link is a problem not a solution, do all this manually.

The best tool is Pete Gates' PT Prefs 2 utility, use it to scan plugins installed on your system and if they are universal of x86-46 only. Create your own spreadsheet if needed to track updating all your plugins.

And unfortunately the otherwise handy Avid provided table at https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/ar...-Release-Notes is broken/wrong about this. And Avid is still marketing Structure Free as included in this bundle without exclusions about lack of Apple silicon support. As I and other have observed recently Avid seems unable to do basic website maintenance on content to keep stuff activate. Not exactly reassuring.
Old 03-30-2023, 03:25 PM

Tape Echo is definitely not ready for Apple Silicon. I wish AVID would not lump compatible and non-compatible plug-ins together. How hard would it be?