Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 03-16-2023, 06:20 PM

Default New computer compatible with 003 rack and ProTools LE 7.3.1

Hi gentle people, this is my first post. Don’t laugh, but I am still running the original ProTools LE 7.3.1 that came with my 003 rack interface some years ago. The old PC I am using (Systemax Venture running Windows XP Professional) is ancient and is starting to crap out. I would like to get a modern, reliable computer for my home studio, but I am concerned about its compatability with both the old interface and the old software. Perhaps I should also upgrade to a more recent version of PtoTools, but right now I am mainly looking for advice on what computer would work with my interface/software combo. Thanks in advance!
Old 03-16-2023, 07:10 PM

Default Re: New computer compatible with 003 rack and ProTools LE 7.3.1

Pro Tools cares about the actual hardware, but as as long as it's fast enough/low latency enough your main critical issue is will be can the PC you are looking at run some old decrepit version of Windows... and many can. You have to make sure you have a license for old decrepit Windows you can install on any new PC. Many Windows OEM licenses (like you get when you purchase a PC) are not legally, and might not practically be usable on a new PC. Microsoft wants your $$$ for new stuff and does not want to support dead OSes any more.

For many folks the best way to get a Windows PC for Pro Tools is to build one and this monster thread is *the* bible for all home built Pro Tools PCs: https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=238426

Pro Tools Windows compatibility info is here:

https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/ar...tibility-Chart

003 driver compatibility info is here:

https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/ar...02-003-Drivers

Folks have the 003 running under Windows 11 (basically it's Windows 10).

My strong opinion on this is you are almost certainly better off just getting off your very old Pro Tools software onto something new, running Windows 11 on a modern PC, and as a starting point Pro Tools Intro is free and (edit) stupidly crippled an annoying but you can at least test with it. Other *subscription* options are Pro Tools Artist and Studio and Ultimate. Lots of good info on Avid.com. Just be aware they are now subscriptions. And if you don't need Pro Tools there are great other DAW choices out there, especially Reaper on Windows.

And while you should be able to get the 003 working I'd plan on it not being supported much longer. There are so many great third party interfaces out there today from folks like Motu, UAD, RME, Focusrite, Presonus, etc. If/when you want to purchase a new interface if you describe your needs here folks here can help with suggestions. Heck I'd consider modern USB interfaces just not to have to mess with FireWire on a modern PC (although it's perfectly doable with a PCIe card... but not say on almost any Windows laptops.).

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 03-18-2023 at 09:13 PM.
Old 03-18-2023, 10:54 AM

Incredibly helpful - thanks so much for your quick response, references and insight
Old 03-18-2023, 11:58 AM

You could get a modern interface for a couple of hundred dollars, if you're just recording a few tracks at a time. It will last and be compatible for many years and probably sound better than your 15+ years old 003r. And a Protools Artist subscription will cost you about $100 per year and includes lots of plugins and extra stuff along with the latest version of Protools. Then use your money on a solid, modern computer, and you'll have a powerful setup to serve you well for years. Just my 2 cents.

Last edited by Ben Jenssen; 03-18-2023 at 02:23 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-18-2023, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breskelator View Post
... old PC ... old interface ... old software ...
Great advice above!

For a new computer:
Windows or Mac?
Desktop or laptop?
Budget?

Also:
Number of inputs needed for audio interface?
Budget for interface?
Click for audio/video demo
Click for resume