Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 12-18-2003, 12:57 PM

Default Next generation Mbox request

Here's what I'd like to see in the next generation Mbox. Definitely a Firewire interface. I want one analog input, combo XLR / 1/4". One MIDI in. One 1/8" headphone out. Bus powered. And real small, like the Emagic A62M. I'd even settle for a breakout box of some sort.

I just got my Digi 002 rack last week, and it is awesome. I would love something to do real portable recording too, and an Mbox to fit that description would be perfect.

What would you guys like to see?
Old 12-18-2003, 01:06 PM

Default Re: Next generation Mbox request

I agree.

In fact, I'd prefer nothing more than PT LE with only a pair of headphones on my Powerbook. No interface, no breakout box, nothing. Just PT and the Mac's sound output to edit, mix and even record and sequence entire songs with virtual instruments. Heck, I'll accept a Logic-style Dongle to get it goin', fine.
Old 12-18-2003, 01:11 PM

I've seen the discussion on the whole dongle thing and I totally agree that it would be cool to be less tethered. Still, it would be nice to bring my laptop and a guitar and track at work at lunchtime, or even just program MIDI drum grooves with my controller.

I wonder if Digidesign is listening?
Old 12-18-2003, 01:21 PM

I'm with pk_hat on this. Digi should give us LE users a dongle of some sort (yes, that sounds perverted) so we can do ultra-portable recording or editing. I hate having to lug around my Digi 002 every time I want to record someone or, most importantly for me, edit on the road.

Believe me, I have enough on my hands with mics, stands, cables, etc., to have to carry another piece of unnecessary equipment. Digi makes me feel like a beast of burden.

If Digi won't hook us up with a more portable way to record with our laptops, at least let us mix and edit on the road without having to spring for an Mbox (which is IMHO too big to take with you and be comfortable on, say, an airplane trip.)

This solutiong doesn't need to mean the end of the Mbox, the 002, etc. We will still buy and use them. But let customers use Pro Tools the way they want -- it's not like we're making some kind of unreasonable request. So many other companies (Reason, Live) let users take control of their music without tying them down with a bulky tether.

Old 12-18-2003, 01:32 PM

Hello. This discussion has been had since the Mbox was introduced. I want to address two things. Yes, an Edit Only type of dongle, a la iLok would be nice, only if Digidesign could be sure it was absolutely bulletproof against piracy and in terms of stability of the software. The other point I wanted to address is the one about the Mbox not being portable. For the life of me, if I live a thousand years I will not understand what is so unportable about the Mbox. It is small and lightwieght. Everybody that has always made the argument always uses a laptop on an airplane as an example. If you have a laptop, you have a case that carries all sorts of things for it. The Mbox fits in any laptop case anywhere. I am sorry but I just don't see what is so unportable about the Mbox.
Old 12-18-2003, 01:46 PM

yes froyo you are right...but

the mbox is indeed portable - great when you need the inputs - but a pain when you dont. through constant lugging of my mbox around and the endless plugging in and out i have to do i now have an mbox where the usb port has broken. a result simply of it being an anti piracy dongle..because at least half of the time i wouldve left it at home...because all i am doing is editing!!!

so i am resentful that i now have a broken mbox...as a result of digi's fear that pt le will be pirated

oh and the silly feet stick out. imho next gen mbox should be thin and flat, like my 12 pb, no wider than the xlr port

www.soundcloud.com/piersgibbon

VOICEOVER - Avalon 737sp/Focusrite Saffire Pro 40/Neumann + Rode inside an Esmono voiceover studio (+ Source Connect, Prima LT, Sonifex TBU, Sonnox plugins)

Record: MBP 13 inch mid 2012, 2.9 ghz i7 8gig ram, PT 11, GDrive Professional Ext Hard Drive

Backup:15 inch early 2008 MBP, OSX 10.10.2

(+Windows 7 PC running Audio TX isdn and tbu codec)

Edit: PT Express 10.3.4 on 13-inch, Late 2010 MacBook Air, OS X 10.10.4
Old 12-18-2003, 02:43 PM

the M-box is USB 1.1 for compatibility, not every computer has firewire, but almost every one has USB 1.1 that is powerful enough to run the M-box and Protools.

You'll gain no perfomrance if it was FW. USB moves the data just as fast as the software can spit it out with only a 2 i/o interface.

If Protools does put out a dongle, you can bet it would be the same price as the M-box or more.
Old 12-18-2003, 06:03 PM

I would just love to use both the analog and digital inputs at the same time on my mbox. I do alot of live concert recording and being able to get a board feed and a feed from mics would be killer. I'm not dragging my G4 and 001 out for that

And I wholeheartedly agree that the "feet" are way annoying. it fits in my laptop backback ok, but something more rectangular would have been nice, somelike resembleing a large iPod maybe

my 2 cents.
Old 12-19-2003, 01:41 AM

Agreed, the feet are an annoyance, but the thing is still portable, if you carry your laptop about you can still quite easily carry an mbox in the same bag, just a pain.
Only thing I see as missing is some MIDI ports. USB is fine for 2 channel audio. It might be useful if it could drive two sets of headphone at the same time. But seeing as I just bought the thing, I would hardly rush out and buy another one if they brought it out.
The only thing that I think they SHOULD DO WITHOUT DOUBT is make some sort of authoristion available on iLok to users that are already registered. This would enable you to edit/Rewire without having to cart the thing about.
Old 12-19-2003, 06:29 AM

First off I do not use an Mbox. It is way to limiting for my needs but I can see why some people would want to be able to use LE with just a laptop.

With all the time spent getting our rooms set up correctly so our mixes translate well to other places I can not see doing any serious mixing with headphones. I could see doing rough mixes though.

I can see using it to write with rewire and Live or Reason.

So then Why Not?

I think Digi looks at the needs and requests of their customers and that along with the fact that they want absolute protection against piracy is how they will make their decision.

As much as this has been discussed on the forum (and it has) I'm pretty sure that the total number of request is a very tiny percentage of total units of LE sold.
Thats not to say all the LE users would not want it.
I bet I know a hundred guys who never monitor of the DUC.

Also, PT as a writing software is relatively new. Before Rewire PT was pretty much useless as a writing tool. (that has never been their focus). Everybody I know that comes in the studios I work at that is serious about using a computer to write uses Logic or others.
But that has all changed with Rewire, Reason and live and all the soft stuff available.

So after all that said I would say it is more than likely this will be an option in our future.
I know when I go on vacation (holiday) I would like to have the option. Until then I'll write in Reason and Live and Rewire them when I get home.