Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-07-2002, 05:14 PM

Default recording with the touch of a button

Is there any (simple) way with protools to to this: I want to be able to hit a key on my keyboard, or a key on my midi keyboard and every time i hit that key, protools places a wav of my choice in that time in point? For example: If I wanted a drum sound (that I have in a wav format) to hit every time i hit a key, how would I do that? Thanks in advance.
Old 01-07-2002, 05:32 PM

Default Re: recording with the touch of a button

easiest way is to buy a sampler and trigger samples via midi...
Old 01-07-2002, 06:03 PM

Sounds good, maybe you could give me a little more detail. I am new to midi.
Thanks,
Old 01-07-2002, 08:42 PM

Ubb...I just did a session this way. It's MAD tedious but if you use the Duplicate and paste buttons wisely it will work. First, double click on the sound that you want to "ghetto trigger" with the selector tool. Then hit control+C to copy it or control+X to cut it. then click anywhere in a track and hit control+V. If you need to loop it select the desired section and hit control+D as many times as you want to. Or just pray to God that Digidesign gives us some way to use a softsampler on PC at the NAMM show. Can I get an Amen?
Old 01-07-2002, 08:52 PM

Apaulos,

Ctrl./D,eh? Great! Thanks man, I use samples often, so that really will help...

Thanks, Roy
Old 01-07-2002, 09:34 PM

I already know how to ghetto rig it, i wanted something more free sounding. I can align stuff to a grid where it's supposed to be, but i wanted something more natural. Now can someone explain what a sampler does/cost/(what kind to buy) and how do i trigger a sample via midi? thanks!
Old 01-07-2002, 09:44 PM

You should check out BATTERY, maybe. It allows you to assign samples to different keys on your keyboard. But, you need a good second sound card to make it work well with PT. I tried it with my little built-in ESS Allegro card, and though it worked with PT, I had enough problems to make me move on.

Roy
Old 01-08-2002, 05:17 AM

go get the demo for battery ( www.nativeinstruments.com ) and get hubi's loopback ( http://www.hitsquad.com/smm/programs...opBack_device/ ).

you need a second soundcard for this. run the output of the second soundcard to digi inputs 3/4. then in PT, create a aux track with inputs 3/4. then create a midi track with input from your keyboard (hook it up to digi midi in) and output to LB1 (a hubi port). then in battery, set up the midi so it receives on LB1. then load your samples into battery. then record arm the midi track in PT and start playing the keyboard and you'll be triggering the samples.

to record, just hit record and record the midi. i think this is what you're after. if you like battery, go buy it. its $150 at musicians friend.

if you don't have a second sound card or you get problems running 2 cards, you can buy a hardware sampler to do the same thing. the cheapest ones start at around $500, so i'm sticking to software....