Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-30-2002, 01:03 PM

Default Re: FINAL MIX REFERENCE

Search the DUC for a lot of info on monitors. Some of the favs are Mackie 824, Genelec 1030, Yahamah NS-10. I also like a lot of Tannoy speakers. Many other good speakers. There is no one perfect set.

Don't use headphones to mix.

Pick your own reference CD. Find music you like and know the sound of. Then compare your mixes to that CD on different speaker systems.
http://www.videopark.com
MacPro 6 core 3.33 GHz, OS 10.12.1, 8 GB RAM, PT12.6.1, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, PreSonus DigiMax, MC Control V3.5, dual displays,
Neumann U-47, Tab V76 mic pre, RCA 44BX and 77DX, MacBook Pro 9,1, 2.3 Mhz, i7, CBS Labs Audimax and Volumax.
Ampex 440B half-track and four-track, 351 tube full-track mono, MM-1100 16-track.
Old 01-30-2002, 02:20 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by lbf:
... AND TO MAKE SURE WHEN YOU BOUNCE A TRACK IT'S NOT TOO SOFT OR TOO LOUD COMPARED TO COMMERCIAL CDs? THANKS.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is a mastering issue, not a mix issue.

I won't bore the details of monitors, research on the DUC will result in weeks worth of reading.
Old 01-30-2002, 04:24 PM

I know Where is biting his tongue.... [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

I asked this question a while back (search digi 001 for mac under the subject NS 10 WARS !!!)

I ended up with KRK V6, and am adding the sub.

I am happy, BUT I wish I also had a pair of those NS 10's...

b/c they have them at all of the major studios that you are hypothetically going to be taking your PTLE projects to for final touches.

The best advice is listen to as many as you can, and get two pairs if possible.

Just make sure 1 pair are those amazingly inexpensive NS 10's [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 01-31-2002, 12:57 AM

Default FINAL MIX REFERENCE

ANY RECOMMENDATIONS ON HEADPHONES AND/OR MONITORS WHERE, IF THE MIX SOUNDS GOOD ON THEM, YOU CAN COUNT ON THE MIX SOUNDING GOOD ON JUST ABOUT ANYTHING, INCLUDING A GOOD CAR SYSTEM OR HOME STEREO? IN THIS REGARD, ANYONE KNOW OF A "REFERENCE CD" OR SIMILAR DEVICE THAT ALLOWS YOU TO DETERMINE IF YOUR MIX IS SIMILAR TO TYPICAL COMMERCIAL MIXES, AND TO MAKE SURE WHEN YOU BOUNCE A TRACK IT'S NOT TOO SOFT OR TOO LOUD COMPARED TO COMMERCIAL CDs? THANKS.
Old 01-31-2002, 01:11 PM

I've discovered that my best reference for my mixes is my friend, who also runs a PT LE studio. He's got a different power amp/monitor speaker/headphone setup than I do, so mixes invariably sound different at his house than they do at mine.

The best part is I can just put all the files on a CD, send it to him, and he can tweak the mix and e-mail me back the fader file. Works out well.

He also taught me to do a mix at low volume and check it at high volume - not vice-versa. Makes a big difference to my ears (plus keeps the roomies quiet).

By the way, ALL CAPS is considered a) yelling and b) rude, so search out that caps lock key [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Party on.