Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools

Old 01-23-2022, 06:50 PM

Default Protools 2021: Quantizing MIDI notes randomly cuts them off, making "blips"

I've searched far and wide for an answer for this all night. It seems to be a problem even dating back to 2007 on these forms, and no fix for me. I am at my wit's end.

I created a new mono instrument track in ticks. I put the Xpand2 plugin on it. I penciled in each note; no MIDI keyboard. It's not even plugged in. The velocity for each note is set to 127.

This is where everything goes haywire. I right-click my clip to get to the quantization menu.

Here are my settings. Screen Shot 2022-01-23 at 9.36.41 PM.jpg

What to quantize: Note on, maintain duration
Quantize grid: 1/16 note, Randomize 11%
Options: Swing 53%

I hit apply, and when I playback the track, random notes are cut off. Like the full value of the note is not played, and it's like it's barely touched.

-No other plugins than Xpand2 on the track
-i removed all "duplicate notes" even though there shouldn't be any to begin with
-The instrument is not set to "all"
-In my MIDI preferences, my Thru MIDI is set to "none". I tried "follows first selected midi track" but that does nothing. I don't even know what that means.
-This same issue is happening with a track with chords, meaning multiple notes at the same time. When quantized, some notes selectively just blip
-Closed out of Pro Tools, restarted my Mac, nothing
- Xpand2 instrument is set to "poly" for the voice mode, so multiple notes should be able to play at once if there is any overlap
-changing the velocity works fine, but doing so does not affect the outcome of quantization
-i am this close to losing it over a 15-year-old problem that seemingly no one can find the answer to

Last edited by skizzie; 01-24-2022 at 06:52 AM. Reason: adding detail