How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-2004, 08:31 AM

Default G5 or HD? Advice Needed

Hello Everyone,

I'm currently running a G4 933 Quicksilver with Pro Tools LE, and am constantly struggling with a lack of processing power for my mixes. In fact I usually end up having around 5 or more sessions just to mix stems, before going on to the main mix. It would save me an enormous amount of time and trouble if I could mix everything at once in one session.
What I'm debating is, should I stay with LE and get a new dual G5, or should I just bite the bullet and get an HD system. I'm not really all that concerned with the Beat Detective, or ADC features, the only real sellling point for me is the processing power. Any suggestions? Does anyone with first hand experience know how the processing power of a Host G5 system would compare to an HD system? Would a G5 LE system still be insufficient? If I went the HD route how many Accel cards would I need for a pretty intensive mix?
Any real quantative knowledge would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 08-24-2004, 08:52 AM

Default Re: G5 or HD? Advice Needed

Mantisgroove,
Go to HD 2 Acell. That will get you the best combination. Then upgrade to a G5.
Take Care,
IMDB http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0401937/
Like everything in life, there are no guarantees just opportunities.
Old 08-25-2004, 01:11 PM

Dr. Sound,

While I appreciate you posting, I was really looking for a little more specific information. I guess what I'm getting at is, of COURSE an HD system is the best way to go if money isn't an issue... but money IS an issue for me. I'm just starting out, and I would really love to be able to avoid shelling out all that cash for an HD system if someone here really thinks that a big mix can be done on a new G5. Another thing I'm worried about is, finally getting tired of everyone telling me it's the answer, and going out and buying an HD system on credit, and then realizing that it really doesn't have that much processing power... and being out ALL that money. What I'd like is some kind of coparison between a host system and an Accel card. Such as 1 HD Accel would roughly equal the processing power of a G4 1Ghz. Or something like that, so I could KNOW that I was getting.
Old 08-25-2004, 02:17 PM

If Money's an issue, buy the G5, If you want more Processing power Buy the HD system. you could rent an HD system to see if it'll work for you. that will set you back a couple of bucks, but you'll know for sure.
Old 08-25-2004, 03:37 PM

Go for the HD system. You will always have the chance to change the computer in the future.
Old 08-25-2004, 06:46 PM

Is this for fun or for profit?

If it's fun (even serious fun), you need to decide what is more important: time or money. I can't imagine mixing on an LE system. Even for the most basic stuff the speed and functionality of of a TDM system makes it a no brainer.

BUT...

I didn't shell out the bucks for the systems I work on. Also, forcing yourself to submix things isn't always a bad thing. Making good decisions early on is always a bonus.

If it's for profit, then by all means, move up to as powerful a system as your clientel can support.

I do stuff at home on an LE rig, but I feel so much more comfortable on a TDM rig. The comfort of not having to continuously monitor your DSP usage frees your mind to concentrate on being creative.

My .02,

Frank Salazar
Old 08-25-2004, 09:03 PM

Quote:

mantisgrove posted on Advice needed......

Dr. Sound,

While I appreciate you posting, I was really looking for a little more specific information. I guess what I'm getting at is, of COURSE an HD system is the best way to go if money isn't an issue... but money IS an issue for me. I'm just starting out, and I would really love to be able to avoid shelling out all that cash for an HD system if someone here really thinks that a big mix can be done on a new G5. Another thing I'm worried about is, finally getting tired of everyone telling me it's the answer, and going out and buying an HD system on credit, and then realizing that it really doesn't have that much processing power... and being out ALL that money. What I'd like is some kind of coparison between a host system and an Accel card. Such as 1 HD Accel would roughly equal the processing power of a G4 1Ghz. Or something like that, so I could KNOW that I was getting.
dr. sound replies (for free):
Dear mantisgrove,
I just wanted to let YOU know that I just fired up and got running my 2 G5 2.5 computers with 2 HD 3 ACCEL for the first time today. They work GREAT!! It sure is nice to have that power. Have fun with your le.
IMDB http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0401937/
Like everything in life, there are no guarantees just opportunities.
Old 08-25-2004, 09:26 PM

mantisgroove, I just did a quick test on my G5 dual 2 GHz, though its with a HD2 Accel system. I got 24 tracks with 3 focusrite 6b-eq, 1 focusrite comp+lim., and a voice chorus vibrato on all of these tracks. They are in RTAS. And the system usage window shows the CPU power almost at 90%. So if you don't mind the LE system, then get a G5. Hope that helps!
Old 08-25-2004, 11:29 PM

Thanks everyone I really appreciate some of your input. I guess when I get right to it, what I want to know is not advice on what people think I'll need, or what people think I should buy. I can make that decision myself. What I really need to know is exactly how much power I'd have with an HD system. And I'm starting to think the only way I'll ever know is if I use one for a mix. So I'll probably just rent one for a day to see first hand how it compares and then I can make an informed decision based on that.

P.S. - Dr. Sound did you say you had TWO HD systems on G5's? You know you could always help a brotha out... just a thought.
Old 08-26-2004, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Thanks everyone I really appreciate some of your input. I guess when I get right to it, what I want to know is not advice on what people think I'll need, or what people think I should buy. I can make that decision myself. What I really need to know is exactly how much power I'd have with an HD system. And I'm starting to think the only way I'll ever know is if I use one for a mix. So I'll probably just rent one for a day to see first hand how it compares and then I can make an informed decision based on that.

P.S. - Dr. Sound did you say you had TWO HD systems on G5's? You know you could always help a brotha out... just a thought.
When I have mixed on HD Accel systems I rarely (maybe never? can't remember) had to audiosuite or print a plug, this is with very large and full sessions, many plug ins running. hard to say how many, but I just instinctively feel that its a huge difference. enormous in terms of time spent maintaining plug in usage/dsp available/printing fx. stopping to print fx with LE definitely breaks your creative flow, but sometimes there is no money and you have to mix on an LE system. You can still get a great mix with LE (I have), if you as a mixer can get past all the starting and stopping to print plugs, the LE is not *that* bad if you are patient with time. its just a whole different world of having more creative time if you are on HD Accel.