Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-27-2022, 05:54 PM

Default Re: Zoom Toggle

thanks for the idea, but I don't want "Fit To Window". I use "Last Used" as my pref - which is more often than not "Large".

I want to see surrounding tracks too as a reference while editing, as mentioned by BScout.
This is simply a bug. It worked correctly in Pro Tools 10 (as demonstrated), and now it doesn't.
They could even enhance it further as discussed, but I'd be happy with the simple fix.
If there were to be improvements I'd like to see stepping up/down thru tracks using P & ; also zoom to that newly selected track while zoom-toggled.

p.s. thanks for confirmation that you're seeing the same thing in non-"Fit To Window" mode.
Old 04-27-2022, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweakhead View Post
Here's a video demonstration of how it worked in Pro Tools 10, versus how it works now in Pro Tools 2022.4
Notice that it worked correctly back in Pro Tools v10, and now it doesn't.

1 - Pro Tools v10 Zoom Toggle :
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1zZH...ew?usp=sharing

2 - Pro Tools v2022.4 Zoom Toggle :
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1rtW...ew?usp=sharing

Mods, feel free to download these videos in order to show the programmers what's wrong.
I now see what you are saying. Sorry. I hate when something changes for the worse and nobody seems to notice or care. (has happened to me on several things)

I can definitely see why you would want it to work back the same way it used to.

When you talk about using P and ; to scroll up and down, are you saying you want the selected track to stay at the top of the window as you scroll up and down?
160 GB RAM
macOS 11.7.4
Noisebox Studios -Utah Recording Studio
Old 04-27-2022, 09:34 PM

no, not scrolling. stepping thru the tracks with those keys. the selection range remains the same but you can move that selected range to the neighboring track - either up or down. also, holding Shift while doing this will add the neighboring track to the selected range.
Old 04-27-2022, 09:59 PM

Yep, you're not the first to mention this problem, and it's a drag. Been bugging me for years... Used to work great - now I often have to hit E three times to pull it into view; hit it once, selected area scrolls off the screen, hit again to un-toggle, hit a 3rd time and it usually puts it in the middle of the screen where I want. Ugh. There's at least one other thread about it from a year or so ago, and another on Gearspace...just one of those things that's never gonna get fixed.

----------------------------------------
Mac Studio / Ventura, PT 2023.12.HDX, Avid HD I/Os and Metric Halo ULN8, 3xS1/Dock
Also running a Mac Studio Ultra / Ventura / HDX / MTRX / S6
Old 04-28-2022, 04:33 AM

I just use "fit to window" but usually grab a couple of tracks above and/or below the one(s) I'm editing so it's not bonkers big. Been doing it this way for so long I can barely remember what any of the other options are.
Old 04-28-2022, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Breen View Post
snip . . . now I often have to hit E three times to pull it into view; hit it once, selected area scrolls off the screen, hit again to un-toggle, hit a 3rd time and it usually puts it in the middle of the screen where I want.
wow, that's given me an idea. I haven't tried it yet, or if the new custom shortcuts will even allow it . . . but if the E key can be customized to press 3, or 5 times in quick succession then we might be in business.
not that such a bizarre workaround should ever be necessary for a 10-year old bug that Digidesign would have fixed the next day in a "cs release".
remember those. Customer Service, oh ... the old days.
Old 04-29-2022, 07:10 AM

the multi-toggle workaround doesn't work for me.
it always goes off screen.