Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools

Old 05-03-2022, 10:36 AM

Default Import MIDI tempo map to specific bar

Hi,

I'm trying to import a .mid file to a specific bar. When I import and choose either Spot or Selection PT imports the file from the session start. Or it brings it in elsewhere but not at the bar I named in Spot, and writes the start of the import as bar 1, making everything before it minus bars.

Is there a solution to this? I'm working on a large piece and importing various sections from Studio One, all have tempo maps so it's important to have each section contiguous.

Any help gratefully accepted!
Old 05-03-2022, 01:12 PM

Default Re: Import MIDI tempo map to specific bar

Are you importing via the File menu? (File > Import > MIDI)
You can try to just import to the clip list, then you can drag the MIDI clip to the location you desire on the timeline. Not the fastest but will probably get you what you want.

System Details
Old 05-03-2022, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scardanelli View Post
Hi,

I'm trying to import a .mid file to a specific bar. When I import and choose either Spot or Selection PT imports the file from the session start. Or it brings it in elsewhere but not at the bar I named in Spot, and writes the start of the import as bar 1, making everything before it minus bars.

Is there a solution to this? I'm working on a large piece and importing various sections from Studio One, all have tempo maps so it's important to have each section contiguous.

Any help gratefully accepted!
Try importing but be in a time based format as your main ruler and not tick based (bars/beats). You can't really overlay tempo maps. One wipes out the next and sets a new start/bar 1.

(you can overlay MIDI parts just not tempo maps)
Old 05-03-2022, 07:48 PM

here's a not-quite-perfect solution, but it might be of use to you if there's no other choice.
render each session's click as an 8th note audio file (MPC or Urei is best). (maybe a bar so beyond the end of each cue, if they don't overlap)

import all those files into your master session, and position them precisely where you want.
detect the tempo map of the clicks with Beat Detective, etc. (it will not be dead-on balls accurate)

you will need to manually enter any meter changes.
note: you can't have multiple Bar 1's in a single session, and in-between cues will be f'd up, so build your count-in's if required into the audio clicks before detecting. maybe renumber the start bars for each cue to 101, 201, 301.
Old 05-03-2022, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweakhead View Post
maybe renumber the start bars for each cue to 101, 201, 301.
You can't renumber bars skipping. It's continuous. So if you go to cue 2 and number the start bar to 201, the previous cue will have different bar numbers.
Old 05-04-2022, 05:03 AM

Thanks for all the tips.

Midi import is a no go, whether clip list or direct.

The only (and far from elegant) solution I've found is:

create a new PT session from the stems exported from Studio One
import the .MID file previously exported from Studio One to this session to get the tempo map. Save and close

Open the main PT project, use Import Session Data, set the bar offset to (in this case) bar 77. Import from saved new session.

Then, renumber bars as PT has made imported offset bar to number 1. This also means anything midi on the timeline, gets moved. In this case it is only the second song in the project so I was able to move the midi parts back to the start but I'll have to see if there's a setting to stop this happening as later in the project this could cause all sorts of issues.

If the tempo changes weren't ramped it'd be easy enough to simply note the bar numbers and changes, and re-create, but I'm using ramped accels & rits so it seems this is going to be painfully slow.

Still, it works - so far.

Got to say I've been away from PT since PT 11 and just using a trial for now as I need to decide which DAW to do this Dolby Atmos project in. I have Cubase 12 but it's such a visual nightmare with all their windows etc, so thought I'd give PT another look. To be honest, last time I used PT11 on probably Sierra of my old 5.1 Mac Pro, its performance was not great.

I've hacked my MacPro to run Catalina (thanks DosDude) and Pro Tools 2021 is running really smoothly, very impressed - both by the improved resource use of PT, and by the fact that Apple want us to throw away perfectly good machines far too early in their lives....

Thanks again, if anyone can add ideas to this situation, importing tempo variable audio but needing a map for midi additions and click track for musicians overdubs etc, I'd be grateful.
Old 05-04-2022, 06:14 AM

How about the other way around? Line up all the segments on one Studio One timeline the way you want them to appear in PT, then export/import that? PT simply isn't the right tool for importing multiple tempo maps. Your workaround might get the job done this time. But it's a train wreck waiting to happen.

PT 2023.12 Ultimate | Clarett+ 8Pre | macOS 13.6.3 on a MacBook Pro M1 Max
PT 2023.12 | Saffire Pro 40 | Win10 latest, HP Z440 64GB
Old 05-04-2022, 08:22 AM

Yes of course I could complete all the tracks in Studio One, and then export to PT.

But part of the composition process is the surround sound, placement, panning etc. Therefore I cannot complete the recording / arranging of the project in Studio One. So it makes sense to bring it into PT at this point. Had I thought more carefully about the limitations of bring tempo maps into another DAW I may have started recording in PT sooner, but I didn't. So I'm where I am and going forward will certainly record anything with variable tempos in PT to start with.
Old 05-04-2022, 08:56 AM

I'm still not clear on what you're trying to achieve.
are you trying to do something like this ?
example . . .
if so, you could reposition the rendered audio clicks to your desired position, and then re-detect the tempo, and forget about the Bar 101, 201, 301 I mentioned.
I was initially under the impression you simply wanted 3 discrete sessions within 1 master session.

Last edited by Tweakhead; 05-04-2022 at 09:30 AM.
Old 05-04-2022, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scardanelli View Post
Yes of course I could complete all the tracks in Studio One, and then export to PT.

But part of the composition process is the surround sound, placement, panning etc. Therefore I cannot complete the recording / arranging of the project in Studio One. So it makes sense to bring it into PT at this point. Had I thought more carefully about the limitations of bring tempo maps into another DAW I may have started recording in PT sooner, but I didn't. So I'm where I am and going forward will certainly record anything with variable tempos in PT to start with.
Could you create a temporary and alternate Studio 1 version of the song, where you recreate the arrangement with the tempo as you want it in Pro Tools, then export?