How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-15-2011, 09:29 AM

Default PT 9.0 ok? But PT 9.0.2 causes clicking with Saffire 40

Hello

I just purchased Pro tools 9.0. box , and have gone through the setup and install of the software with a saffire 40, and mix control 2.2 driver.(latest).
When openning the demo song, which I copied to my drive from the DVD..everything seemed to load up, after some miner changes were detected with the original setup for the demo, PT saw the changes, and made things work with my setup.
It played back fine...no playback issues at all.

I then went to the avid site, and saw the updates with some very important bug fixes on the midi end and other bugs.ver 9.0.1 and 9.0.2.
So I downloaded 9.0.2 and installed that...thinking it had all pryor updates in it.?

Well the game has changed...I can no longer say playback is working with 9.0.2,...cause when booting up, after I select to load the same session (demo) my sound card (saffire 40) starts clicking..(like electronic static)(not a good sound to let continue for long)
It seems to stop when I change something in the setup audio device page..but after applying the/any changes, the clicking comes back.

Also noted...I have been looking for a way to stop windows 7 Home premium from shutting down the monitor after x amount of time in non use.
I have set the power management to never, and set the advanced features to never..and all power management is turned off...But my monitor still shuts down after x amount of time not being used/left idle.
Have yet to find out why...and cannot see any other method other than power management to set theses dumb features I thought I changed to never sleep/hibernate/Sleep, and never turn off HD and saved.

I uninstalled Pro tools 9.0.2 (all of PT) and reinstalled PT 9.0.
The demo loaded no problem and played back.
I then left the system idle for a long while..to take a break..
And the monitor went off..when I moved the mouse the screen came back on and PT was still loaded.....when I clicked on PLAY, PT was locked or frozen.
Things seemed to be very sluggish (when moving a window or clicking a feature)..and play on all transports would not work.
I fiddled with the device setup again..and even reset the defaults to make sure it was not that...

Oh well..leaving PT alone for too long doing nothing , and this problem with monitor sleep or hibernate, or power management (which should be turned off, and or set to never turn off HD or Monitor...But does) seems to effect the software in a bad way.
Any help on that?...as I have set these features to never...and yet it continues to turn off or sleeps...

other software (acid Pro7.0e, Record 1.5 and Reason 5.0.1) are working fine, before and after PT install,update, removal, reinstall...

It seems the Saffire works well with all my other applications with no problems on playback.

But with PT9.0 it is ok.. 9.0.2..it does.

Any help?

Desktop System specs.

Intel quad q9650

Memory 8gb

ATI 5850 series video

win 7 64 bit home premium 6.1.7600 build 7600

Saffire 40 (mix control 2.2)

Asus P5Q pro turbo bios 0602
onboard firewire chip and port

Lacie firewire 800 pci card

5 WD black 1tb drives.

Corsair TX 850 power.
Old 03-15-2011, 09:45 AM
Avid

Default Re: PT 9.0 ok? But PT 9.0.2 causes clicking with Saffire 40

Have you tried all the optimizations and troubleshooting from the General Troubleshooting thread yet? If not, please start there.
Old 03-15-2011, 10:20 AM

my 2cents...there is a performance hit in 9.0.2 compared to 9.0...don't know if it's driver related or the app itself...but at the same time in 9.0.2 there are many bug fixes along with the fact that the W7 drivers have accurate placement of audio again. i'm still weighin' what's best for me..a 002 owner/user. do i wanna give up the midi to audio bus with accurate audio placement fix (as example) or go back to 9 where the grid lines show in all modes (as example). right now i'm even lookin' at 9 with the 9.0.2.65 driver as my choice.

without goin' into all the tests i've run on the 2 different versions, my easy eyeball test was in 9 i could run Aero (desktop composition) with 'glass' turned off with no issues on any of my sessions at 64 sample buffer. in 9.0.2 i would get 'program has stopped working' message. when i turned Aero off in 9.0.2 this error stopped...and yes i know Avid says turn it off to use low buffer settings. the good thing is we can choose between 9, 9.0.1, and 9.0.2 with the latest drivers. so choose the flavor that performs/works best for you

The Basschakra Lucid Soul Trip

i7 Builds - Specs and Results

HDNative | Omni | i7-3930K OC'd 4.0GHZ |
ASUS X79 Sabertooth | 32GB GSkill DDR3 2133 ram | mo' stuff
Old 03-15-2011, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiTechSupt View Post
Have you tried all the optimizations and troubleshooting from the General Troubleshooting thread yet? If not, please start there.

OK,.. That is fare...but if I tweak things to make work, what seemed to work in a earlier version "out of the box", and then doesn't in another updated version...As I have already tweaked system setup and saved them..or so I thought, and they presist to defeat my settings ( I set) and revert to their own defaults (mysteriously) or by win 7 auto updates changing things?... or I am missing something somewhere? in the power management settings?....then General troubleshooting this issue on a oddly behaving windows home premium 7, 64 bit base, to attempt to setup or troubleshoot PT issues, that are non exsistant in other applications, might be fruitless...on my end for me...?..or may cause other applications to not work correctly....?

But I will try as you say to do a General troubleshooting ?...and I'll watch what happens and post the results...here.

Thanks for the speedy replies.
Old 03-15-2011, 11:21 AM

W7 auto updates could absolutely be your culprit. i personally i don't know of anyone that has auto updates turned on for their PT DAW...

Old 03-15-2011, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykhal c View Post
my 2cents...there is a performance hit in 9.0.2 compared to 9.0...don't know if it's driver related or the app itself...but at the same time in 9.0.2 there are many bug fixes along with the fact that the W7 drivers have accurate placement of audio again. i'm still weighin' what's best for me..a 002 owner/user. do i wanna give up the midi to audio bus with accurate audio placement fix (as example) or go back to 9 where the grid lines show in all modes (as example). right now i'm even lookin' at 9 with the 9.0.2.65 driver as my choice.

without goin' into all the tests i've run on the 2 different versions, my easy eyeball test was in 9 i could run Aero (desktop composition) with 'glass' turned off with no issues on any of my sessions at 64 sample buffer. in 9.0.2 i would get 'program has stopped working' message. when i turned Aero off in 9.0.2 this error stopped...and yes i know Avid says turn it off to use low buffer settings. the good thing is we can choose between 9, 9.0.1, and 9.0.2 with the latest drivers. so choose the flavor that performs/works best for you

Thanks for the reply..I'll try turning off things in the os to free up resources....But I do not know what works best for me with PT 9???...as I have yet to get anything "work wise" done with it, as it is new to me..and for the most part the world.
I also Have PT m Powered 8.0.0 on a XP sp3 system...I updated it to 8.0.5..and it does not load the plugins anymore.. hangs when loading dpms in the plugins folder....tried to remove them one by one..till all were removed...Yes all of them...and then PT hangs when looking for plugins that are no longer there!

As I said..I have little knowledge of PT...anything....So I am wet and green behind the ears....

Acid Pro 7.0e seems to work on all my systems with very little problems...at this time...and I do most of my recording with this program or veriants of it, in the past, to some pritty good resulting productions.

I also Just bought record 1.5 and reason 5 which all had updates for Bugs, but seemed to work out of the box, with no issues with audio playback or recording or loading their own plugins or midi issues for me.

I'll do more reading..and General Troubleshooting?....Thanks for the Driver tip...But I am now questioning this advice....Do you mean the audio interface Drivers for my Saffire 40? or is it the latest drivers for Protools audio engine? or other PT relaited Drivers like Ilok and other third party or PT hardware , I'm suppose to install with the new updates?

As it is I am using the latest Mix control Driver for my product...

So I am a little mixed up as to what you are refering to when you say:

"use the latest drivers" .....Do you mean PT drivers? or my audio device Driver for the Saffire 40?...

All this General Troubleshooting is killing the feeling of Musical insperation, I thought I had..once upon a time
Old 03-15-2011, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Les View Post
So I am a little mixed up as to what you are refering to when you say:

"use the latest drivers" .....Do you mean PT drivers? or my audio device Driver for the Saffire 40?...

All this General Troubleshooting is killing the feeling of Musical insperation, I thought I had..once upon a time
yeah my bad...i was strictly talkin' about PT drivers. and yes, debuggin' your PT rig can do that to ya

Old 03-16-2011, 07:34 AM

I have a project I created in PT9.0 and have upgraded my 003 driver to Ver9.0.2.65 and PT to 9.0.2 and I having audio tracks clicking and popping. PT 9.0 was working so solidly and I never had this.

Since the new driver still didn't fix my control surface problem, I've been thinking about going back to the old driver and see if that works.
Old 03-16-2011, 11:12 AM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjkool View Post
I have a project I created in PT9.0 and have upgraded my 003 driver to Ver9.0.2.65 and PT to 9.0.2 and I having audio tracks clicking and popping. PT 9.0 was working so solidly and I never had this.

Since the new driver still didn't fix my control surface problem, I've been thinking about going back to the old driver and see if that works.
Have you tried trashing preferences or any of the other troubleshooting steps first? Repair permissions, zap PRAM, etc?

Most likely it's a glitch in your system and not a problem with the driver.
Old 03-16-2011, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykhal c View Post
W7 auto updates could absolutely be your culprit. i personally i don't know of anyone that has auto updates turned on for their PT DAW...
Well as we all know...everything computer related code wise/program wise, has to be fixed when bought...Right?
I've been putting computers together for some time..and every program I have...has needed updates....and every OS for PCs I have made, needed updates...So before PT is put on a windows platform...Windows should be working to the best of its ability..meaning it needs to be updated periodically and consistantly...latest drivers...latest motherboard and firmware for devices connected to it...etc etc etc....right?

And now...even PT which is newly presented as working on Win 7 ...needs updates!

Who you trying to kid?