Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows

Old 06-03-2022, 10:49 AM

Default Re: Avid Link credentials issue?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDmUSA View Post
I am using a local account for my Windows desktop. The Avid Link program is not accepting my local user account to allow the express install. Why?
Does that account have admin privileges? I think Link needs to be admin to do express installs.

System Details
Old 06-24-2022, 04:57 PM

I am using an Windows 10 administrator account, as confirmed by Windows 10, and I am using the email address associated with that admin account, as Windows 10 shows in the user profile. I have tried using the password that I used to access my PC and the password that I use to login with that same account via my Microsoft login, but Avid Link claims the credentials are not valid. If they're not valid, then how is Microsoft honoring them when I sign into the account with those exact credentials from the user profile links?

Now I'm having to go through the manual Avid Link installation process, so this new and supposedly convenient way to install the software has done nothing but make it far more time-consuming and inefficient.
Old 06-24-2022, 05:24 PM

Why bother? Lots of advice from experienced users here to just uninstall this bloatware.

Avid Link does nothing to manage third party plugins... and that is where users often have more problems. And I don't trust it not to mess up Avid stuff or not to be a bloatware software that especially increases the security attack surface. If I was in a large studio/corp network that stuff would be absolutely mandatory to uninstall.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 06-24-2022 at 05:50 PM.
Old 06-24-2022, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GNA View Post
...Avid Link claims the credentials are not valid....
Welcome to the community.

Avid Link needs the Administrator User Name which can be found in Settings/Your Info. Obviously don't want to post that here, so I'll start a support case to get your info. Please watch for an email.
Old 06-24-2022, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob71 View Post
I am having the same issue...
Welcome to the community.

Avid Link needs the Administrator User Name which can be found in Settings/Your Info. I started a support case to get your info. Please look for an email, thanks!
Old 07-13-2022, 12:20 PM

After testing, I confirmed the culprit. A local password is needed. Not a PIN, not a Microsoft account password.

On most PCs you can set a local password while still signed into a Microsoft account. On Windows 11, this is done at Settings > Accounts > Sign-in options.

But on Microsoft Surface, this doesn't seem possible; you either need to be signed into a Microsoft account and forgo the ability to set a local password, or switch to a local account. On Windows 11, this can be done at Settings > Accounts > Your info. Be sure to backup the BitLocker key before switching.

Either way, once you have a local password, the default [5-letter] username and local password should work in the Avid Link form to enable express install.
Old 07-13-2022, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by connorhawke View Post
After testing, I confirmed the culprit. A local password is needed. Not a PIN, not a Microsoft account password...
Thank you for the followup.
Old 07-24-2022, 09:42 AM

I am too having this issue...checked for resetting the local account password. it isnt working. Can jeffro help me too?
Old 07-24-2022, 11:29 AM
Avid

Hi Sebastian,

This is already being handled via Case 04468487

Thank you,
Tope
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebastian.va View Post
I am too having this issue...checked for resetting the local account password. it isnt working. Can jeffro help me too?
Old 07-29-2022, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by connorhawke View Post
After testing, I confirmed the culprit. A local password is needed. Not a PIN, not a Microsoft account password.

On most PCs you can set a local password while still signed into a Microsoft account. On Windows 11, this is done at Settings > Accounts > Sign-in options.

But on Microsoft Surface, this doesn't seem possible; you either need to be signed into a Microsoft account and forgo the ability to set a local password, or switch to a local account. On Windows 11, this can be done at Settings > Accounts > Your info. Be sure to backup the BitLocker key before switching.

Either way, once you have a local password, the default [5-letter] username and local password should work in the Avid Link form to enable express install.
Well, this did work the first time. I was certain it was the definitive solution.

But after switching back to a Microsoft account (to troubleshoot something; I forgot what), then switching back again to a local account, the local username and password no longer work. I went so far as to clear the app's cache, quit Avid Link, remove the PIN, remove and re-add a local password, and restart the PC.

Btw, on my first two manual upgrade attempts to PT 2022.7 via Avid Link I got the below errors. Eventually installed it fine after switching to a local account and clearing cache (not sure if either helped), but thought I'd note it here in case related.

[Window Title]
Windows Installer

[Main Instruction]
Error applying transforms. Verify that the specified transform paths are valid.

[OK]

[window title]
InstallShield Wizard

[main instruction]
Error reading setup initialization file.

[ok]

Meanwhile, attempting to download the new demo session (Low Roar) just crashes Avid Link. I don't currently have any other plugin updates pending, so not sure if those would crash too.

But it's definitely a wonky app.

First and foremost, let's see if anyone can figure out, once and for all, how to resolve the false positive PC login credentials error.