Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks

Old 02-15-2015, 09:37 AM

Default What´s that effect??

Hi,

I´m looking for this kind of reverse delay/hall effect that comes in before the real lyrics start...somehow a "normal" reverse delay plays the sound in reverse after the original, but this one seems kind of fading in before the actual vocals start and at 3:56 it does not sound like a reverse playback to me....

How do I do that

http://youtu.be/cwW12jBKzYk

Thank you! :)
Old 03-02-2015, 07:17 PM

Default Re: What´s that effect??

Try creating a new audio file of your vocal (passage or word etc...), put the desired reverb on, and bounce the reverb to a new audio file (offline processing or by using an internal bus)... then reverse this audio file and line up to the the beginning of your original "dry" vocal. Remember to remove your reverb plug in too...

http://www.formandfilter.com
Old 03-02-2015, 08:00 PM

Default Re: What´s that effect??

We used to do this back in the day by flipping the tape over on our multitrack, then sending the desired track out to a reverb (100% wet) and recording that on a new track. Flip the tape back over and you have reverse reverb (fades into each note/word instead of playing after) that you can then mix in with your original. Similar deal with backwards guitar solos - flip the tape, record your solo, flip the tape back.

PT makes this way easier, there's even a Reverse button in some of the plug-ins like D-Verb, Space, & Mod Delay III. Just remember to select more time in front of your clip before processing cause that's where the effect will be fading in. You'll also need to experiment with the Mix to get the right effect. A better option is to copy your Clip(s) to a new track and process there (100% wet) so you can adjust the mix as needed down the road.