Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)

Old 08-10-2012, 05:24 PM

Default HDX + blue interfaces - opinions?

We are upgrading a couple of studios the HDX + HDi/os in the next days. One of them currently runs 48 analogue i/os with 6 x 96i/os and that old G5 is about to die any minute now.

Since the studio is very busy at the moment, I was considering to just swap the computers and keep the PT10HDX system running with the 96 i/o for a while until we find the time to solder all the connections for the new interfaces.

My understanding is that one HDX card supports 4 interfaces, not 6. Well, this could be workable for a while.

My question is: Does HDX run with blue interfaces?

The avid website is a little unclear about that:

The HDX system requirements link to the page for required Pro Tools|HD Audio Interfaces . The 96i/os are on the list, thus suggesting to work with HDX.

However, the HDX product page doesn't state the 96i/o in the 'supported interface' list. I wonder if this is just for marketing (who wants to promote a discontinued product?) or is it actually not supported?

Does anyone run HDX with blue interfaces successfully? Any tips?

Much appreciated!

Jan

AVID Certified Instructor
Old 08-10-2012, 05:42 PM

Default Re: HDX + blue interfaces - opinions?

Well, I think I just found the answer in the HDX data sheet. 96i/os are supported. Still a bit strange that the info on the website is a little inconsistent.

I'd still appreciate some opinions on whether it runs well or not.

Cheers,

J.

Old 08-18-2012, 08:24 PM

Installed the systems. All running well. Will start to swap audio interfaces in a week. Looking forward to find out how the HD16*16s sound.

J.

Old 08-19-2012, 06:05 PM

I wonder if they really mean HDX only supports 64 channels. Because HDX1 does only support 64 channels.Since at the start of HDX we had to buy the new HD interfaces all of them except the Omni have 16i/o well 4 of those is 64 channels.Even the 8x8x8 still has 16i/o 8i/o analog , 8i/o more with optical So I wonder if its not really the number of interfaces that matters but the number of channels. But arnt the 96i/o limited to the number of interfaces that can be daisy chained independent of the HDX limits.
Old 08-19-2012, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janmuths View Post
until we find the time to solder all the connections for the new interfaces.
What kind of cables are you using. Thats alot of soldering . I use all MOGAMI GOLD and my studio is soooo much cleaner and quieter now , there $70 mic cables are so much better than the plain jane $29.99. It was like getting a new cleaner quieter higher resolution converter. Worth every penny and then some in my opinion.
Old 08-19-2012, 09:22 PM

FWIW, I run an Omni and Blue 192 I/O with HDX and all is well.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 08-20-2012, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phatbeatstudio View Post
I wonder if they really mean HDX only supports 64 channels. Because HDX1 does only support 64 channels.Since at the start of HDX we had to buy the new HD interfaces all of them except the Omni have 16i/o well 4 of those is 64 channels.Even the 8x8x8 still has 16i/o 8i/o analog , 8i/o more with optical So I wonder if its not really the number of interfaces that matters but the number of channels. But arnt the 96i/o limited to the number of interfaces that can be daisy chained independent of the HDX limits.
It's 64 channels of I/O per HDX (or HD Native) card with a max of 4 HDX cards possible in a system. So you could have a theoretical 256 I/O (that's 256 in and 256 outs) in a maxed out HDX system. That'd be with four 16x16 I/O boxes on each card.

QAPLA!
Old 08-20-2012, 05:10 PM

Thanks for the comments, guys. Unfortunately I can't just swap to Mogami. The 96i/os are connected via TRS and multicores to bantam patchpays. Am going to cut off the 1/4" TRS and replace with db25s. Want to keep all the leads, its enough work to change one end of it, am not too keen on re-soldering the bantam patchbay unless I REALLY have to.
Our leads are all right. Properly shielded line leads, twisted pairs.

Soldering starts tomorrow, the fumes are gonna get me high no doubt

Will install 3 HDI/O16*16, don't need any digital I/O so thats the perfect match for us.

Quote:
I'm pretty sure the OP who seems to be running a multi room/gazillion channel studio understands cables.
Thanks for the credits, Stewart. But I just work there, am not the owner (...unfortunately...)

Appreciate your tips and advice, cheers!

J.

Old 08-20-2012, 07:18 PM

i remember soldering my first 192 setup... migraine for a week after. Dsubs are a pain in the *****.
HDX and HD NATIVE
48 gig Ram
PT 2019. Something
Sierra
192 IO and 96 IO

TDM user way back. PT user since 98.
I'm either working, sick, or both.
Old 08-21-2012, 03:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janmuths View Post
Thanks for the comments, guys. Unfortunately I can't just swap to Mogami. The 96i/os are connected via TRS and multicores to bantam patchpays. Am going to cut off the 1/4" TRS and replace with db25s. Want to keep all the leads, its enough work to change one end of it, am not too keen on re-soldering the bantam patchbay unless I REALLY have to.
Our leads are all right. Properly shielded line leads, twisted pairs.

Soldering starts tomorrow, the fumes are gonna get me high no doubt

Will install 3 HDI/O16*16, don't need any digital I/O so thats the perfect match for us.

Thanks for the credits, Stewart. But I just work there, am not the owner (...unfortunately...)

Appreciate your tips and advice, cheers!

J.
Don't forget heatshrink tubing on all the DB25 connections and beware of stray wires sticking out of the solder cups and shorting to other pins. But then you know all that I should think

I've soldered far too many of these things to even count. Wish you luck and take your time.

Oh yeah - don't forget to put the strain relief shell on the cables before soldering

QAPLA!