Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10

Old 12-06-2012, 09:00 PM

Default What are the difference between using a "mono" vs "mono/stereo" plug in on mono track

Okay so I know if I have a mono track, I can obviously use a mono plug in on that same track.

When I insert the same plug in to that mono track in "mono/stereo" mode, then that mono track changes to 100 left and 100 right.

So basically, what does that mean in terms of sound difference between the two? I'm just curious.
Old 12-06-2012, 09:13 PM

Default Re: What are the difference between using a "mono" vs "mono/stereo" plug in on mono t

That will mainly apply to effects like delays, reverbs, etc. It's the same thing as using an aux send on a mono track to a stereo aux track with a stereo plugin. It just allows you to use it as an insert instead.

For example, you can have your mono lead guitar going into a mono delay, or into a stereo delay, where the delays are wider and spread apart. You could achieve that with either method I just mentioned.
Old 12-06-2012, 09:17 PM

Default Re: What are the difference between using a "mono" vs "mono/stereo" plug in on mono t

Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post
That will mainly apply to effects like delays, reverbs, etc. It's the same thing as using an aux send on a mono track to a stereo aux track with a stereo plugin. It just allows you to use it as an insert instead.

For example, you can have your mono lead guitar going into a mono delay, or into a stereo delay, where the delays are wider and spread apart. You could achieve that with either method I just mentioned.
Oh okay that makes sense. I didn't know you could do the same thing with a mono/stereo plug in. I thought you just had to send mono tracks to a stereo aux to get the effect. Thanks!
Old 12-06-2012, 09:58 PM

It allows for stereo fx like reverb, stereo delay, chorus, etc. A stereo track always has the 2 pan pots for flexibility. You can overcame the volume shifts by adjusting the pan laws in the session window in the windows tab.
Apogee Mini-Me firewire.
Old 12-07-2012, 08:07 AM

be aware also,
you've just doubled your power ratio;
i.o.w., a 3 db increase...
e