Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2021, 04:27 PM

Default Pro Tools not communicating with Faderport

I am attempting to get my PreSonus Faderport (single fader)(allegedly plug'n'play) to work correctly with Pro Tools.

I am using the [peripherals] to select HUI and then the Faderport for to and from and then I always re-select "channels - 8" even though it defaults to 8.

After a few seconds Pro Tools will give me the unable to communicate with HUI device error dialogue. This problem has at times, seemingly spontaneously, fixed itself and the Faderport has worked fine for a day, a few days, or maybe a week or so, then, seemingly spontaneously, broken itself again.

I have tried many combinations of removing the Faderport, restarting the machine, running Pro Tools, then restarting the machine again, reinstalling the Faderport, restarting, and then running Pro Tools. Nothing seems to resolve it, and I'll be darned if I can figure out what is making it start working correctly for a while and then malfunctioning again.

It had just been working correctly for a week or so, but last night I opened up an older session, within which the Faderport had worked correctly, and it started throwing the error again.

Today I was going to try trashing my preferences, although to my best recollection this has not fixed the problem in the past; but I ran into a problem doing so, I have started a separate thread about that problem.

I also opened a tech support ticket with Avid a few months ago and had a tech on a team view session, and he wasn't able to solve the problem. He suggested reinstalling the OS, but that is such a big hassle re-installing all the software afterwards that I want to avoid it if possible.
Old 11-02-2021, 04:34 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools not communicating with Faderport

If you use Studio One before Pro Tools, you’ll always have to unplug and replug the Faderport before Pro Tools can use it. Studio One somehow grabs exclusive control and you either have to reboot the unit or reboot your Mac/PC before trying to use it in Pro Tools.

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control
Old 11-03-2021, 03:33 PM

I do not use Studio One or have it installed.
Old 11-04-2021, 07:04 AM

Mac or PC? Faderport is not Plug and Play on PC and needs a driver.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 11-04-2021, 10:00 AM

You will find the driver here.
Latest Faderport: https://www.presonus.com/products/FaderPort/downloads

Original Faderport: https://www.presonus.com/products/Fa...ssic/downloads
Dell Precision 490 Workstation, dual 4 core 5355 Xeon, 16gb Samsung DDR2 ECC Ram - Windows 7 Ultimate - Nvidia GTX 650 - 3 x Internal WD Blacks - PT 2018.3 - Digi 002R - Original Mackie HUI - 3 screens - JBL Monitoring.
Dell XPS 8700 i7-4790 - 24gb RAM - Windows 10 - Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB with Studio driver 546.01 - 2 x Internal Samsung 860 EVO SSDs, and MSATA card - Davinci Resolve Studio 18.6.4 - 3 screens - Blackmagic Speed Editor - MK1 Presonus Faderport - Canon C100 mk2 - Atomos Ninja 2 - Zoom H2n
Old 11-05-2021, 12:34 PM

The PC driver for which you provided the link is the one I have been using.

Am I the only one befuddled by the fact that it will work for a while and then not work for a while, and then start working again, rinse and repeat, seemingly arbitrarily, ie not following any changes I have made to the system, unannounced background events notwithstanding?
Old 11-05-2021, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John McDuffie View Post
The PC driver for which you provided the link is the one I have been using.

Am I the only one befuddled by the fact that it will work for a while and then not work for a while, and then start working again, rinse and repeat, seemingly arbitrarily, ie not following any changes I have made to the system, unannounced background events notwithstanding?
Have you disabled Power Management for all USB ports?(you need to)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 11-05-2021, 09:11 PM

I may hove found the problem, knock wood. I uninstalled the Faderport drivers, then re-installed them and I noticed there were all these options that seemed to relate to studio one and other things, so I disabled all the options when I re-installed, and so far so good.