Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-09-2002, 07:11 PM

Default Recording with Digi 001 on a laptop?

I'm currently running 5.1.1 with a Digi 001 on my G3 Macintosh at home. Problem is, my drum set is across town in a warehouse -- which means I have to record drums on a cheap 4-track and then dump them into Pro Tools when I get home. As a result of this, the quality of the recording suffers.

So, I've been thinking about getting a cheap laptop for running Pro Tools so I can record while on-the-go. I'd like to get a Windows-based laptop so I can also use it to do stuff for my day-job.

1) Anybody know if Pro Tools can run on a Windows laptop? I was thinking of getting a used Dell with a Pentium III processor. I've seen the compatibility page on Digidesign's web site, but it's not clear from this how well a Pentium III would perform with PT 5.1.1.

2) Will a laptop support my Digi 001 hardware? I need lots of inputs. At least 4 inputs to mic the kick, snare, and two overheads separately (and to keep them on separate tracks). So ideally, I'd like to be able to connect my Digi 001 hardware to the laptop.

3) Would I need to buy another Digi 001 PCI card for the laptop?

4) Will I be able to transfer files back and forth between the Mac and Windows?

Any advice/words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated!

-B
Old 07-09-2002, 07:31 PM

Default Re: Recording with Digi 001 on a laptop?

1) Anybody know if Pro Tools can run on a Windows laptop? I was thinking of getting a used Dell with a Pentium III processor. I've seen the compatibility page on Digidesign's web site, but it's not clear from this how well a Pentium III would perform with PT 5.1.1.
Very likely it will run on a notebook

2) Will a laptop support my Digi 001 hardware? I need lots of inputs. At least 4 inputs to mic the kick, snare, and two overheads separately (and to keep them on separate tracks). So ideally, I'd like to be able to connect my Digi 001 hardware to the laptop.

The 001 hardware uses a PCI bus. Notebooks don't have external PCI bus. You'll need an additional interface. Folks have posted the links to such in the past. Search and you'll find.

Yes.

Absolutely yes. It works well. I suggest you get a firewire harddrive this will make it easy to transfer.

My suggestion: Buy a 4 track Minidisk Recorder and use it instead.
Old 07-09-2002, 07:57 PM

Another suggestion:

Get a laptop with firewire or USB, and get a firewire or USB audio interface that has the inputs that you need, and run it with PT Free (up to 8 tracks).
Old 07-10-2002, 12:17 AM

or get a nac-laptop and get an mbox...

Bastiaan
Old 07-10-2002, 05:59 AM

YES, but not that great. check into P4s and AMDs over 1Ghz.

you need an expansion chassis. go to www.magma.com and check out what they got. its kind of expensive but its the only game in town. by the way, they're running a great deal on the 001 - buy a digi 001 for $895 and get a FREE EZQuest 60GB Firewire Drive. not bad! if you buy the magma chassis (2 cards or more), there's room for a 3.5" hard drive and they come with ata or scsi controller built in.

no - if you buy a cardbus adapter for your PC. here's one: http://www.synchrotech.com/products/card-rw_08.html

Absolutely yes. It works well. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

if you really want to get high tech....
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=2033871843 - at $700 it looks like a pretty damn good deal!
http://www.42u.com/rose_rackview.htm (KVM)
http://www.presonus.com/html/products/digimax.html

you're all set - now you have 10 mic preamps. or you could skip the digimax and get an alesis ai-3 and a 16 channel mixer. that would get you 16 mic pre's instead of 10....

happy tracking...
Old 07-10-2002, 08:41 AM

When creating sessions, make sure to enforce Mac/PC compatibility for hassle-free exchange between Mac and Peecee's.
Old 07-10-2002, 08:46 AM

Another option you have since you mentioned a dell laptop is to purchase a docking station for your laptop. That's the setup I have.A dell PIII 366mhz with the docking station called C/Dock Plus form Dell as well, which has two PCI slots in it and I installed my AMIII card in it so I can do some light recordings on the road. Then when I get home I download the files into my DIGI001 rig. CHeck with Dell for prices or search for them on-line for cheaper price. Or like someone mentioned you can get a Magma box with PCI slots. Good luck