Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-11-2012, 02:06 PM

Default Mp3's importing LONGER than source

I was asked to export a piece of music I had cut as an mp3. Composer writes me back to say the cue is drifting out of synch. Session is 48k/24B.

I did a bounce to disk, MP3 Interleaved 16B 48k, slowest encoding speed, 192kbit/s.

Reimported the new MP3 file into the same session and lined up against the original material the MP3 conversion is longer by 15 timecode frames on a 2min22sec clip. It's subtle but this music is cut very tight to picture and so you notice it after a bit. Not a pullup/down issue.

Seems to be happening on both Pro-Tools version 9(.0.6) and version 10.

I did a quick search on the DUC and couldn't find anything relevant so I'm posting.

Thoughts?
Old 04-11-2012, 02:09 PM

Default MP3's importing LONGER than source

I was asked to export a piece of music I had cut as an mp3. Composer writes me back to say the cue is drifting out of synch. Session is 48k/24B.

I did a bounce to disk, MP3 Interleaved 16B 48k, slowest encoding speed, 192kbit/s.

Reimported the new MP3 file into the same session and lined up against the original material the MP3 conversion is longer by 15 timecode frames on a 2min22sec clip. Not a pullup/down issue.

Seems to be happening on both Pro-Tools version 9(.0.6) and version 10.

I did a quick search on the DUC and couldn't find anything relevant so I'm posting.

Thoughts?
Old 04-11-2012, 02:14 PM

Default Re: MP3's importing LONGER than source

Don't use MP3's if you care about sync. When you convert to MP3, it alters the timing so it can do the masking and compression. Stick with PCM files.
Undertone on Facebook
Undertone Custom Sound Libraries

"Groupable markers would be epochal!"
-Starcrash
Old 04-11-2012, 02:18 PM

Default Re: Mp3's importing LONGER than source

The obvious answer is .... don't send out MP3s as your final mix. I would not trust it.

Any reason why you have to send Mp3s?

Try opening the mp3 in QT player, export as a wav, import that into PT.
Any difference?

kasper
Old 04-11-2012, 06:32 PM

A) Obviously it's not a final mix, just a demo for the director and composer. (feature Post-Production)

B) I sent MP3 because they asked for MP3, I hate the format personally. Clearly I don't use it much otherwise I'd have run into this before.

C) I'll try the QT thing, but it still doesn't solve the problem of shipping MP3s in proper synch when requested.

Is this a known bug? Or is it just life with MP3 conversions?
Old 04-11-2012, 06:48 PM

This shouldn't be happening. 320k MP3 is broadcast standard here in Toronto for radio commercials. Though we're only talking 30 seconds. I'll try a longer export at work tomorrow and see if I get similar results.

Pro Tools Ultimate 2021.10 - macOS Big Sur 11.6
10 Core iMac Pro
64GB RAM - Radeon Pro Vega 56 8176 MB
UA Apollo x8
Old 04-11-2012, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabbler View Post
A) Obviously it's not a final mix, just a demo for the director and composer. (feature Post-Production)

B) I sent MP3 because they asked for MP3, I hate the format personally. Clearly I don't use it much otherwise I'd have run into this before.

C) I'll try the QT thing, but it still doesn't solve the problem of shipping MP3s in proper synch when requested.

This is how MP3's are made.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fretfingers View Post
This shouldn't be happening. 320k MP3 is broadcast standard here in Toronto for radio commercials. Though we're only talking 30 seconds.
Why should it not be happening? 320kbps for a 30 second radio is fine, because it is radio, it will still be "about" 30 seconds, but not EXACTLY. Test it for yourself. Over a longer period of time, and when frame accuracy counts, all bets are off for retaining EXACT timing. IOW, it SHOULD be happening. MP3's are made by "windowing" audio into granules that are 384 samples long, if I recall. Timing precision with a window like that is impossible vis á vis PCM.

If you are curious to know more about MP3's:

http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?title=MP3

As I said, as Kasper said, do not send MP3's if you care about timing. Just tell the director that the timing issue is due to MP3 encoding and decoding and you need to send a wave or aiff. I mean, it's a 2 1/2 minute clip, the file can't be that big. Sendspace, FTP, Yousendit......
Undertone on Facebook
Undertone Custom Sound Libraries

"Groupable markers would be epochal!"
-Starcrash
Old 04-12-2012, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minister View Post
I mean, it's a 2 1/2 minute clip, the file can't be that big.
↑↑↑ we have a winner ↑↑↑
Old 04-12-2012, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabbler View Post

Well everyone's certainly jumping on the timing ambiguities inherent in mp3, and it's true that the start time is completely ambiguous (IME start can fall anywhere within a 30msec window), but once true start time is lined up, sync *should* hold. Seems to me, there's something else going on here. Did you line up the imported file's actual music start against the music start of the original file? Does it slowly drift out while listening against each other? I'd be inclined to look more carefully into this; mp3 and other perceptual coders should not change the actual length of material (and certainly not by 1/2 second on 2 1/2 minutes of material) - if they did, AC3 would never work as a sound-for-video encoder.

best,
rich

----------------------------------------
Mac Studio / Ventura, PT 2023.12.HDX, Avid HD I/Os and Metric Halo ULN8, 3xS1/Dock
Also running a Mac Studio Ultra / Ventura / HDX / MTRX / S6
Old 04-12-2012, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Breen View Post
Well everyone's certainly jumping on the timing ambiguities inherent in mp3, and it's true that the start time is completely ambiguous (IME start can fall anywhere within a 30msec window), but once true start time is lined up, sync *should* hold. Seems to me, there's something else going on here. Did you line up the imported file's actual music start against the music start of the original file? Does it slowly drift out while listening against each other? I'd be inclined to look more carefully into this; mp3 and other perceptual coders should not change the actual length of material (and certainly not by 1/2 second on 2 1/2 minutes of material) - if they did, AC3 would never work as a sound-for-video encoder.

best,
rich
+1

Something weird here. I bet its a sample rate thing.

I've never had an mp3 drift unless that sample rate was wrong.

Sounds like the director is working at 44.1 and you are working at 48k.
I've run across that before, and the edit never knows how to check or change it.