Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 01-15-2013, 04:01 PM

Default Video Satellite vs. VS-LE and Media Composer

I'm attempting to connect a Media Composer 6.5/MojoDX system to my PT10HD Native system using Video Satellite.

I have a Video Satellite LE Authorization on an ilok (had been used on a MacMini running PT9) which does not seem to work when plugged into the Media Composer Rig (Authentication error: Please Check that an iLok authorized for Video Satellite is connected to the system).

Based on this:
http://www.avid.com/US/products/video-satellite-le

and this:
http://www.avid.com/US/products/video-satellite

I'm guessing that I need to "upgrade" to the non-LE version. However, the Avid Store only sells the LE version.

So, is there a difference? Does Video Satellite (non-LE) exist? What do I need to get these two systems talking to each other?

Thanks in advance
Old 01-15-2013, 05:56 PM

Default Re: Video Satellite vs. VS-LE and Media Composer

Video Satellite and Video Satellite LE are very different products, despite similarity of name. Probably not an upgrade, but a separate license purchase. "Video Satellite" is only available through a reseller such as your local dealer, not online. It's been that way since it was introduced, which probably made sense then but not as much now. It is an iLok authorization that plugs into the Media Composer's workstation, to enable the Video Satellite features that are built into every Media Composer since 3-something (5-something on Mac I think). Pro Tools HD, HD-native, or HDX required, also need a Sync (hopefully SyncHD) interface, especially if you have an Avid hardware interface on Media Composer.

I mostly love mine, but it sometimes throws various errors that you would think shouldn't happen, and I find myself switching to the Composer screen to either dismiss a dialog box that cannot be dismissed from Pro Tools (shift-click the RED satellite button on PT will dismiss many of them), or sometimes just trying to initiate play from MC to sort of "clear out" a short string of errors. And then, there is the occasional Composer crash or error-recovery message for no obvious reason, and PT just refuses to play until I figure it out.

For a top of the line pair of Avid systems, their joint operation feels kind of precarious sometimes but for the most part they run well together, and in my case sync is ABSOLUTELY SOLID AND PREDICTABLE. So, for me, the spotty inconvenience is worth it.
Old 01-18-2013, 02:11 PM

Thanks for the reply. Eventually of course I figured out the difference and purchased Video Satellite.

Now my question is this:

I lose communication between the systems frequently. "The Satellite....has been disconnected by a network error. Would you like to reconnect?" By frequently I mean every few minutes. I've swapped out the Cat-5 cable connecting the 2 MacPros (no router, just a direct connection between ethernet ports on the MacPros)...but have no idea what else to do to troubleshoot this particular issue.

Thoughts?

PS I do have a SyncHD for PT and the MojoDX interface for Composer.
Old 01-18-2013, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabbler View Post
Thanks for the reply. Eventually of course I figured out the difference and purchased Video Satellite.

Now my question is this:

I lose communication between the systems frequently. "The Satellite....has been disconnected by a network error. Would you like to reconnect?" By frequently I mean every few minutes. I've swapped out the Cat-5 cable connecting the 2 MacPros (no router, just a direct connection between ethernet ports on the MacPros)...but have no idea what else to do to troubleshoot this particular issue.

Thoughts?

PS I do have a SyncHD for PT and the MojoDX interface for Composer.
I also keep getting a network clock error. Drives me up the walls, but I don't know what to do anymore. My main rig is connected to a Mac Mini. I gave both a dedicated LAN port that only handles the Video Satellite, and I also installed a switch, that only handles this one connection.

iMac Pro
- MacOS 10.14.6
---
- Pro Tools U HDN 2019.6
- Avid HD Omni + HD I/O 8x8x8
- C|24 | S3 | Dock
Old 01-19-2013, 12:52 PM

I have no idea. Both errors suggest a network problem. I suppose you've seen these threads? Bob Brown was a primary developer of the Satelite protocol.
http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=252050
http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=267341
http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=283122

Are you running both ports at gigabit speed or 100 speed? What happens if you force both computers to the other speed?

I do not have random disconnects between MC Satellite and PT. I only use one network port per machine. All relevant network cables plug into the same gigabit switch. That switch goes to a central router, but the switch should take care of all communications between the machines without router intervention. I have used a cross over cable between computers in the past, bypassing the switch, but only for troubleshooting and do not recall any problems.

I recently had a problem of one Pro Control resetting itself, like the network cable was being pulled and replugged. Turned out it was a dirty rj45 connection at the network switch. I checked each connector for good spring tension of the contacts, re-plugged, and have had no trouble in several weeks now. Must have been a bit of dirt in one of them.

The network clock not locked error used to bother me once in a while, especially in the early days of Video Satellite (years ago). There may have been early software troubles then or something I never discovered in my network that has since been changed. Now it is not a problem. I think I've seen it perhaps once during the last 6 months. Reboots all around fix it, now and then. I've never actually tried the keystroke reset when I have an error. Curious if that works.

PT10.2.1, MacPro Westmere
MC 6.5, HP x8400 PC dual 3.1G
Old 01-19-2013, 12:55 PM

Thanks Postman, I saw those threads and would have liked to talk to Bob.
But unfortunately he hasn't been here in several months.

iMac Pro
- MacOS 10.14.6
---
- Pro Tools U HDN 2019.6
- C|24 | S3 | Dock
Old 02-10-2013, 05:28 PM
Evergreen Audio Design Group

Meads,

I would be interested in knowing a little more about your network clock errors.

I'm working with one of our beta testers right now to help track done some issues he has seen.

What are you doing when you get these errors?

Do things recover (i.e. the network clock relocks automatically and you can play again) quickly or do you need to reboot or something else drastic?

Thanks,
Bob
Old 02-10-2013, 05:33 PM

Hey Bob, lovely to see you!

Fortunately it reclocks automatically after a few seconds, I do not have to do anything. Also I can't speed it up by ctrl+cmd+clicking on the connection button. I just have to wait, then it locks again.
Problem is, that this happens pretty frequently, like four or five times an hour, and it always interrupts my focus, when I'm mixing.It's hugely disturbing, and I avoid using the satellite, when I have clients in.

Hope this can be fixed, I'd be happy to provide you with additional information, should you need any.

Thanks!

iMac Pro
- MacOS 10.14.6
---
- Pro Tools U HDN 2019.6
- C|24 | S3 | Dock