Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-26-2009, 03:20 PM

Default Re: Re-learning to mix ITB?

Derek, thanks a lot!

So I think from what you say, that calibration is very important.. I can think of one situation to compare.. If I am doing a live show on an analog console with only VU meters, I am applying gain according to what I hear and almost not looking at the meters.. I will bring up the kick or vocals until it "feels" right at the hall and then build my mix from there. As long as the system is calibrated and has enough headroom, everything will just fall into place.. With all faders around 0dB! Never thought about interpreting this working habit to studio recording (Maybe because of that "record as hot as possible and then use the faders" thing)...

And if talking about calibration, Should I just do it with references, getting used to a certain SPL level, or only the scientific way, with the SPL meter showing 83dB with pink noise at -18? Anything more creative maybe?

And one more thing you clarified for me is that the 0Vu=-18dBFS IS based on how a VU meter actually behave and I should read the average levels and not the peaks, that means that a snare hit will essentially read higher than a bass guitar, distorted electrics or synth parts... But the actual point is to LISTEN and FEEL, and not to worry about levels, they can only go wrong in an uncalibrated environment. Hope I got you right.

The part about having the faders around 0 so movements are more precise was well understood before, didn't question this.

Thanks for your help, I am sure going to learn a lot from your posts that you referred me to, and I will download and listen tomorrow when I am back home
Old 08-26-2009, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shtik View Post

And if talking about calibration, Should I just do it with references, getting used to a certain SPL level, or only the scientific way, with the SPL meter showing 83dB with pink noise at -18? Anything more creative maybe?

And one more thing you clarified for me is that the 0Vu=-18dBFS IS based on how a VU meter actually behave and I should read the average levels and not the peaks, that means that a snare hit will essentially read higher than a bass guitar, distorted electrics or synth parts... But the actual point is to LISTEN and FEEL, and not to worry about levels, they can only go wrong in an uncalibrated environment. Hope I got you right.
Calibrating your system does depend on your habits, your listening environment and the gear you use. I would say that if you mainly use nearfield monitors that are 3 or 4 ft away, you might find 79dBSPL works better for you (or maybe 85dB or who knows!?). But regardless, yes, you should try to find some way of setting a standard reference level between your DAW and your listening environment. And try to mark or leave the listening level in that calibrated position as much as possible when setting levels or starting a mix. So often, because of mastering, people will turn their monitor levels way down when listening to audio CDs. Then a few days later, you start recording and think, "wow everything is quiet, I need to turn up the mics!" instead of setting the monitor level back to the ref level.

Or, if you have a calibrated setup, and you still "record as hot as possible" you might be pushing the level at the preamp too hot by maybe 20 or 30dB, and then you end up pulling the fader down by 20 or 30dB, when you could have just pulled the preamp gain down and left the fader at 0.

so yeah, you got it right.

Derek Jones Linkedin
Megatrax Recording Studios
Megatrax Studios Yelp Page
A-list Music Artist Page
Old 10-05-2009, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by O.G. Killa View Post
Calibrating your system does depend on your habits, your listening environment and the gear you use. I would say that if you mainly use nearfield monitors that are 3 or 4 ft away, you might find 79dBSPL works better for you (or maybe 85dB or who knows!?). But regardless, yes, you should try to find some way of setting a standard reference level between your DAW and your listening environment. And try to mark or leave the listening level in that calibrated position as much as possible when setting levels or starting a mix. So often, because of mastering, people will turn their monitor levels way down when listening to audio CDs. Then a few days later, you start recording and think, "wow everything is quiet, I need to turn up the mics!" instead of setting the monitor level back to the ref level.

Or, if you have a calibrated setup, and you still "record as hot as possible" you might be pushing the level at the preamp too hot by maybe 20 or 30dB, and then you end up pulling the fader down by 20 or 30dB, when you could have just pulled the preamp gain down and left the fader at 0.

so yeah, you got it right.

Agree 100%, but I have a question... If I import in a PT session a reference mix taked from a commercial Rap Hip hop RnB Cd , how much I have to trim down the volume ? there isn't a standard ? -6 ? -10 ?
And If I have to import the file on ssl consol? I Think that if I don't trim down it on ssl , the channel would be permanently red peaking distorting. Right?
Old 10-05-2009, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peppertree View Post
1)
Many people these days mix through a limiter, which infuriates mastering engineers because it makes it harder for them to impress you with level, and ties their hands to some degree

Mastering engineers are the most preachy people in music, but most of them are mastering engineers not by choice but because they couldn't cut it (anymore?) as producer/engineers which is the fun work. (Not true of course for the top guys, but the top guys aren't preachy either.) View their demagoguery with skepticism; you don't tell them how to do their jobs and you don't need to listen to them when they try to tell you.
That is what I like the most about Pepper. If you need it said he will say it. I think he has some of my philosophy " If you are looking for sympathy you will find it between Sh.t and syphilis in the dictionary"

Having said that I agree with everything he said.

For all complaints click here

DAW
-
Digi003 PC-Sweetwater CS dual 3.0/Asus 975X Chipset/CPU dual 3.0GHz/800MHz FSB/RAM 4GB/Radeonx300se/4 internal glyph sata drives/ 3 external glyph backup drives/Acronis True Image OUTBOARD-UA LA-610, ADL-600, Digimax lt, Eureka x 2, Central Station, Hearback x 8, JBL LSR, Monster Power Software-PTLE 8.0, Sound Forge, CD Architect Plugins- Too many and too much money spent
Old 10-06-2009, 02:25 AM

Great, all this forum needs, another lurker with a massive great bunch of TDM chips on his shoulder.
Old 10-06-2009, 07:52 AM

Hey mid, what are you talking about?
Old 10-06-2009, 08:41 AM

This is the *TDM* forum on *MAC*.

Not the *LE* forum on a *PC*.
Old 10-06-2009, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightrambler View Post
This is the *TDM* forum on *MAC*.

Not the *LE* forum on a *PC*.
I'm on *TDM* on *MAC*

so... What's wrong ?? For posting here wee need your permission?
Old 10-06-2009, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank View Post
I'm on *TDM* on *MAC*

so... What's wrong ?? For posting here wee need your permission?

Look at scar97's rubbishy semi-pro gearlist. I wasn't talking about you.
Old 10-09-2009, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightrambler View Post
Look at scar97's rubbishy semi-pro gearlist. I wasn't talking about you.
Is that the best you can do? Come on. If you are going to rake someone from a major publishing company over the coals don't hold back. With only 200+ post I can see why you are such an outstanding member of this forum trolling around with your negative comments.

You can do better than that, commenting on something you know nothing about. I have 4 TDM systems and 5 Macs. I also have PC and LE. If you ever need help PLEASE contact me. I really think you should really show who you are and get mad at me and use some of your huge mental database to do a better job of trying to embarrass someone who only made one joke. You don't know me or anything about me and let's just leave it at that. I know you will have the last word as i won't respond so do a good job. I know you can! I hope you grow up.

For all complaints click here

DAW
-
Digi003 PC-Sweetwater CS dual 3.0/Asus 975X Chipset/CPU dual 3.0GHz/800MHz FSB/RAM 4GB/Radeonx300se/4 internal glyph sata drives/ 3 external glyph backup drives/Acronis True Image OUTBOARD-UA LA-610, ADL-600, Digimax lt, Eureka x 2, Central Station, Hearback x 8, JBL LSR, Monster Power Software-PTLE 8.0, Sound Forge, CD Architect Plugins- Too many and too much money spent