Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)

Old 01-19-2022, 08:31 PM

Default Software issue that OS clone ProTools can’t see HDX cards, when original OS sees HDX

Software issue that OS clone ProTools can’t see HDX cards, when original OS sees HDX cards just fine. Same MacPro.

My HDX-2 rig 2019 Mac Pro 7,1 - Catalina (10.15.7) - works just fine. Latest version of PT Ultimate 2021-12.

wanted to make a bootable OS system drive clone, so I could run the OS off this clone when in using a rental 2019 MacPro 7,1 in a few months when away from my usual main studio.

Was advised by a friend that rather than using CarbonCopyCloner, to make the bootable clone… to instead…. to format my external SSD (NVMe in an OWC Envoy Thunderbolt 3 enclosure - true Thunderbolt3)
then download and install OS (Catalina10.15.7) on this external NVMe SSD, then data migrate (apps and data) onto it. I did all this.
All seemed fine booting from it, and launching ProTools off it - *except* no matter what I do so far - when booted from this external SSD …. it won’t see HDX cards.

It is only when I boot from this external NVMe (same OS, same version PT) that it won’t see HDX cards.
When I boot from internal MacPro OS it sees HDX cards just fine. So must be a software thing somehow, on this new bootable OS external drive.

so far, to try to make it see HDX cards, I have done thew following :

gone to playback engine multiple times - HDX does not appear as an option.

rebooted intefaces (and the MacPro)

tried to run Digi Test (won’t run, won’t see interfaces, nor HDX cards)

went to System Preferences / Security / Privacy / Full Disk Access …. and allowed ProTools full disk access

rebooted in Safe Mode

Re-installed HD driver.

Re-Installed ProTools.

and… yes - in Apple system profile I *can* see the HDX cards …. ProTools just can’t.

What are the next steps to fix?

Thanks much
Old 01-19-2022, 08:37 PM

Default Re: Software issue that OS clone ProTools can’t see HDX cards, when original OS sees

There are lots of posts on DUC about problems installing HD and HDX drivers on recent macOS releases. This seems exactly like the failure modes seen there.

Start here: https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/ar...atalina-BigSur

(and make sure you have a DigiLink licenses asset on the system).
Old 01-19-2022, 08:40 PM

Default Re: Software issue that OS clone ProTools can’t see HDX cards, when original OS sees

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
There are lots of posts on DUC about problems installing HD and HDX drivers on recent macOS releases. This seems exactly like the failure modes seen there.

(and make sure you have a DigiLink licenses asset on the system).
thanks - pardon my ignorance - how do I make sure I have the DigiLink licenses asset on the system?

same ilok, same everything... only difference if I booted from internal drive OS or external SSD OS, that theoretically should be the same....

thanks
Old 01-19-2022, 08:45 PM

You will see the Digilink license when you look at your iLok or cloud licenses in ILM (iLok License Manager). If you don't have that there the interface also will just not show up in the playback engine.

I very much expect the issue is just the driver install, the iLok comment is just insurance... and if you are moving systems I just want you to make sure the same iLok/licenses are used.
Old 01-19-2022, 09:29 PM

update - the fix for my issues is:

re-install HD driver *again* (no need to uninstall)
it will insist to reboot - let it.

then *immediately* after the reboot - open System Preferences / Security / General, and at the bottom right ... click the little button, to open a window, to then allow AVID to load and run properly.

I'll leave this thread up just in case it helps anyone else.