Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)

Old 10-29-2021, 06:18 AM

Default Re: Source Nexus Alternative

I've got Sonobus and pt and Zoom all working together...
I created an aggregate device using the ZoomAudioDriver (in hindsight I could have used a multi output device or VB Cable (see later)) as its not listed in Zoom as a device.
After Ryans comment about sesionwire, I installed that and it gave me multiple virtual drivers (into / out of). I tried this but session link was a bit of a hassle to setup sessions and I'd already got the sonobus plugin and app connected.
I needed another virtual driver so I used a freeware one called VB audio cable. (https://vb-audio.com/Cable/) I could have paid to have a multiple virtual drivers but I've got it working with the ZoomAudioDevice and VO audio cable driver. One for sending, one receiving.
I had problems before this just using the ZoomAudioDevice as Input and Output with feedback (duhhhh).
In pt IO, I setup two mono busses (To Zoom / From Zoom)
I put the sonobus plugin on a new mono aux, made the aux input the 'To Zoom' bus, gave it not output.
Made a new mono aux to receive Zoom, the input comes straight from the plugin. In the aux input dropdown choose plugin>SonoBus - Network audio...>Aux 1 Out.
Make a new private connection between the app and Sonobus plugin.
In the SonoBus app click the blue SonoBus graphic in the top left to set your IO settings. I used VB cable as input and ZoomAudioDriver as output.
In the SonoBus plugin, you need to route the audio back to pt. In the far right on the connection window is the monitor out box (just above the ping display). Choose Aux 1 Out.
I turned down the monitor sliders on both app and plugin as I thought that would help eliminate feedback. In the plugin settings (gear icon) you can set your send quality.
I tried to attach a picture of my pt routing but safari is blocking the upload popup.
Hopefully that everything, sorry for the rambling message.

Also if you want an auto talkback plugin check out Bob Perry ATC2, its just like SourceTalkback but its $15 not $125. Does exactly the same things. Mutes talkback when pt timeline is running, dims master output, can be triggered with midi. I used my phone to trigger the talkback with a free iOS app called midi box and connecting my phone to my Mac via a networked session in Audio Midi Setup.
https://www.bobperry-audio.com/shop/bob-perry-atc-2/
Old 10-29-2021, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Wood View Post
... Mutes talkback when pt timeline is running ...
Easy enough to do with a stock plug, too. Make an audio track, paste a 1k tone along timeline for an hour (or whatever length you need), assign output to a bus. Make an aux track, input from your talkback mic, insert stock comp, side-chain to key, key input = tone output bus (bus 24 in my pic). I created this once, & just import into current session when needed. Works.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Talkback mute.jpg (43.8 KB, 0 views)
Click for audio/video demo
Click for resume
Old 10-29-2021, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EGS View Post
Easy enough to do with a stock plug, too. Make an audio track, paste a 1k tone along timeline for an hour (or whatever length you need), assign output to a bus. Make an aux track, input from your talkback mic, insert stock comp, side-chain to key, key input = tone output bus (bus 24 in my pic). I created this once, & just import into current session when needed. Works.
Thanks EGS,
I'll give it a go...
ATC2 still looks good value as you can open talkback during playback/record with a midi trigger and it dims your master output.
Old 01-04-2022, 12:19 PM

I just ran into the Blackhole virtual driver: https://existential.audio/blackhole/

Seems to work fine with the HDX card, my main issue was to get PT audio into Chrome and at the same time to my HDX system. And it also worked fine with Soundminer, so I don't have to use Rewire, since the new Radium sampler dosen't work with Rewire, works fine with Blackhole.

Stereo works great, got some issues with 5.1, gonna try more later.

Are there any issues (function, buffer, etc?) with using an aggregate device as playback engine instead of HDX? I used the HDX as clock source. Little unclear on the Avid site.
Old 01-04-2022, 12:24 PM

Or.. use Dante Virtual Soundcard as system audio
Old 01-05-2022, 09:03 AM

That's what I do...
Old 08-04-2023, 02:44 PM

Product by Audiomovers.
Can do a simple in and out just using "Inject"
Or can do multiple complex patching using Inject with Omnibus
Old 08-04-2023, 04:19 PM

On Mac, www.gingeraudio.com is an alternative to Source-Nexus. They've told me they're working on a Windows version. Nothing yet.

I'm fortunate to have an RME interface, so TotalMix solves my routing.
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction