Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)

Old 02-26-2019, 07:38 AM

Default Re: Sample accurate digilink interfaces in 2019?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Makes sense. Then there is nothing that can be done, right? If a 3rd party interface would be faster than Avid's they could match the RTL by slowing it down
Yeah, nothing can fix a longer delay unfortunately. Think its Apogee that go into quite a bit of detail on their thinking behind the latency - their A/D and D/A times are different so they could make the conversion quality up to the standard they wanted it to be (takes a little longer than Avid) and then refined the other side of the process to compensate - they add up the same as the HD i/o roundtrip so it all balances out. Seemed like a clever way of doing it
Old 02-26-2019, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D'Animation View Post
Yeah, nothing can fix a longer delay unfortunately. Think its Apogee that go into quite a bit of detail on their thinking behind the latency - their A/D and D/A times are different so they could make the conversion quality up to the standard they wanted it to be (takes a little longer than Avid) and then refined the other side of the process to compensate - they add up the same as the HD i/o roundtrip so it all balances out. Seemed like a clever way of doing it
Once Avid introduced the DigiLink license, they pretty much admitted that third party products exist. So it's a pity they don't have a plugin API (well, potentially just a configuration file format) that allows third parties to identify their interfaces and report the conversion delays and I/O names.
Old 02-26-2019, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeHoward View Post
So it's a pity they don't have a plugin API (well, potentially just a configuration file format) that allows third parties to identify their interfaces and report the conversion delays and I/O names.

If you use 3rd party iO’s that would be awesome
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 02-26-2019, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCBigler View Post
I mean, this is only relevant if you are sending a signal outside the box, from one interface to another, right? If everything stays inside the Protools mix engine, it doesn't really apply, right?
It is only relevant if you are using a single interface that doesn't replicate the latency of a Digidesign or Avid model, and you try and add an analogue insert into your mix. When you do so, the problem is akin to a plugin that reports the wrong latency back to the mix engine, which in turn means automatic delay compensation offsets the audio by the wrong amount.

The problem is essentially mix engine based, as digilink interfaces have no way of reporting their latency back to Pro Tools and it has the potential to turn an expensive interface into a cheap, busted plugin.
Pro Tools Ultimate 2024.3. OSX 13.6.5. Win 10. HD Native. Lynx AES16e. Lynx Aurora 16. i9-13900KF. ASRock Z690 Steel Legend. 64GB Ram. AMD Vega 64. BM Decklink. Dolby Atmos Renderer 5.2. Trinnov D-Mon. D-Command.
Old 02-27-2019, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeHoward View Post
Once Avid introduced the DigiLink license, they pretty much admitted that third party products exist. So it's a pity they don't have a plugin API (well, potentially just a configuration file format) that allows third parties to identify their interfaces and report the conversion delays and I/O names.
True, that would be nice. Or at the very least, if they licence the digilink connector to a manufacturer they at least put a restriction that the internal hardware must exactly emulate the Hd i/o
Old 02-27-2019, 05:48 AM

Quote:
True, that would be nice. Or at the very least, if they licence the digilink connector to a manufacturer they at least put a restriction that the internal hardware must exactly emulate the Hd i/o
Yeah, although I don't know if they ever really licensed it – I think the third parties just reverse-engineered it. But maybe this has changed with the introduction of the license.
Old 01-01-2020, 09:38 PM

Quote:
If I remember correctly from Focusrite support & other user reports their converter delay is longer than the Avid i/o
I am demoing a Red 16 Line - love how it sounds and the connectivity is AMAZING. But it is not at all sample accurate the way the HD I/O was.

When recording simultaneously into the HD I/O and Red 16 line (at 44.1k), the Red is 15 samples LATER than the HD I/O, with the delay compensation on. When it's off, the red is 5 samples later than the HD I/O.

Obviously similar issues when using the Red in insert mode, and although you can compensate in the I/O setup for HW inserts, it changes based on the SR. My tests showed 26 sample latency @ 44.1, 28 samples @ 96k. So really no chance to use outboard analog gear in parallel with the Red 16 line.
Old 01-02-2020, 12:59 AM

Burl is (mostly). Their older BAD4 cards are a bit slower and don't do AVID delay comp sample accurately. All other cards can be jumpered to be either AVID delay compensated or their native latency which is much faster. Documentation on their website provides quick starts with all info needed on each individual card.
Old 06-15-2021, 05:10 PM

Does anyone know if the new Focusrite Red 8 Line interface is sample accurate? It is the perfect amount of i/o and connectivity for me.
Old 01-23-2022, 05:09 PM

This is Great info !
Im thinking's of getting a Avid interface and plugin in My Symphony MkII via AES
(My HDX card is in a chassis connected vis digilink to the Symphony MK II right now )

MY question is would Protools see the Symphony as 8 more channels of in and out and would the delay compensation work with both interfaces ( the Avid interface being the main )

Right now I cant do analogue parallel hardware comp ( for example )
with my Symphony and PT

Thanks Jerry