Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-02-2001, 09:24 PM

Default CD Gap

How much gap do you leave at the beginning of a song before the material actually starts? How many samples, milliseconds, or frames? I want the song to start promptly after Play is pushed, but I've noticed that some lower quality CD players miss the very beginning if the track index was programmed to close the material.
Old 04-03-2001, 02:19 AM

Default Re: CD Gap

200ms works on pretty much all CD players. I use to shoot for 100ms to get it as close as possible, but it wasn't always enough. So, 150-200ms is what I usually do.

Cool trick - instead of putting total digital silence at the top of the file, put just a bit of dithered silence in there to trigger the D/A's on the CD player. Example - 0ms-20ms = dithered silence (such as a bit of Waves ultra type 2 dither). 20ms-150/200ms = digital black. 200ms = song start.

Old 04-03-2001, 01:29 PM

Disco, thanks a ton for the tip. Should I use the Waves IDR plug-in to create the silence? What bit rate?
Old 04-04-2001, 08:05 AM

Am I mistaken or doesn't using the "offset" setting in Adaptec Jam automatically add a number of frames to beginning of each track?

------------------
Larry Bentley
Cellar Dweller Productions
www.cellardweller.com
Mac Pro 2019 16-core, 96GB RAM, OS 10.15.2
Old 04-05-2001, 12:19 AM

I haven't used Jam. Is the offset global, or can it be different for each track? I was using Toast, until I discovered it adds time (ahead of where the material actually starts) at the beginning of each track. CD Creator (made by Adaptec for the PC) also does this. Does Jam have this problem?
Old 04-05-2001, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Scorpio:
I haven't used Jam. Is the offset global, or can it be different for each track? I was using Toast, until I discovered it adds time (ahead of where the material actually starts) at the beginning of each track. CD Creator (made by Adaptec for the PC) also does this. Does Jam have this problem?
There are three offset settings in Jam. One for the first track and then global start and stop offsets for all other tracks. These are just to allow a margin for CD players to mute and mute. You can also put in values of zero if you don't want any offsets.

------------------
Larry Bentley
Cellar Dweller Productions
www.cellardweller.com

[This message has been edited by Studio Dweller (edited April 05, 2001).]
Mac Pro 2019 16-core, 96GB RAM, OS 10.15.2
Old 04-22-2001, 03:39 PM

Yup....I just type in the the starting space I want for any song...in Jam.

Fifty8th
Old 04-26-2001, 12:10 AM

But is it possible to burn Cds without gaps if so desired??
I know it cannot be done in Toast 4,How about toast 5 or Jam???
RayS
Old 04-26-2001, 05:50 PM

well here`s an update ...
Although a sales rep at Roxio wrote back to say it was possible to do so w/ both Toast Titanium and Jam I am sorry to say it aint so ,at least not for Titanium .I bought it this afternoon after receiving confirmation from Roxio sales dept. and proceeded to try this w/ the following procedure:

B/W 350 8.6 PT LE 5.0 Toast % titanium Yamaha 4416sx burner

Edit a cut in PT ,separate it in order to create 2 cuts from the same song, bounce both to disk send to toast ,select 0sec. for pause between cuts and burn ...

Results are : Toast inserts a gap between the cuts ( a fraction of a second but a gap nonetheless) All this quite unusable if you have to burn your own music into a dance complilation CD or a live show CD where you want to keep the live feel between songs but still index the cuts as tracks in order to have access to the different tracks individually.

Very disapointing results as I am stuck w/ software I cannot use since the store I bought it from will not refund openned soft packages.... and still cannot burn my dance CDs.

My only choices seem to be either w/ Jam 2.6 which I don`t have or to do it the old fashion way ( w/ a standalone Cd recorder and Hit the manual track index at the right moment ,15 times for 15 different compilations , and all this in real time ).
I can hardly believe that something this trivial cannot be accomplised in this day and age of computer performance and that I will have to resort to the same time consuming technology that I used 6 yrs ago.

RayS
Old 04-27-2001, 02:34 AM

Try "Waveburner" from Emagic. It will do everything you need.

www.emagic.de