Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools | Carbon

Old 03-21-2023, 06:08 PM

Default Two options in hardware set up

I'm wondering if I can have both my HD Native and my Carbon interface connected to the computer at the same time. I'm not trying to expand inputs. I want to have the HD Native set up for 5.1 mixes and the Carbon set for Stereo. Then I could maybe switch between them by selecting one or the other with the Playback Engine. I'd have to have two separate speaker setups, so it may not be what I'm wanting. Or maybe it is. I feel like it should work.

I have a new Mac Studio and a Carbon interface. I also still have my HD Native and the Omni interface with a Tunderbolt 2 box.

Anybody tried it?

Steve
Old 03-22-2023, 09:54 AM

Default Re: Two options in hardware set up

If you have all the equipment is there a reason you don't just test it yourself?
Old 03-22-2023, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post
If you have all the equipment is there a reason you don't just test it yourself?
This is a place of deep resources and a wide knowledge base. I thought perhaps someone would know.

I may just give it a go, but would like to know as much as I can as to whether I could screw something up!

Steve
Old 03-22-2023, 12:52 PM

Seriously doubt you can hurt anything. Just be prepared for it to not work(just in case). I just went thru something vaguely similar trying to get a new Mbox Studio to work on my HDN setup(granted, I am on a PC) and Mbox was a complete failure.....until I removed the HDN card. Now the Mbox works flawlessly

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 03-22-2023, 02:04 PM

Thanks for the reply Albee. Will check it out in the next few days. Would be very handy to have it all on one computer because of my plugs and all of the other things.

Steve
Old 03-25-2023, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extreme Mixing View Post
I'm wondering if I can have both my HD Native and my Carbon interface connected to the computer at the same time. I'm not trying to expand inputs. I want to have the HD Native set up for 5.1 mixes and the Carbon set for Stereo. Then I could maybe switch between them by selecting one or the other with the Playback Engine. I'd have to have two separate speaker setups, so it may not be what I'm wanting. Or maybe it is. I feel like it should work.

I have a new Mac Studio and a Carbon interface. I also still have my HD Native and the Omni interface with a Tunderbolt 2 box.

Anybody tried it?

Steve
I have no idea I sold my OMNI to help fund my Carbon .. But just to clarify you are simply just trying to avoid having to switch the Carbon output back and forth from 5.1 to stereo ?

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...
Old 03-29-2023, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Roche View Post
I have no idea I sold my OMNI to help fund my Carbon .. But just to clarify you are simply just trying to avoid having to switch the Carbon output back and forth between 5.1 and stereo ?
Yes. And balancing the speakers with pink, etc... It does work by the way. But you have to unplug the network connection from the Carbon. I'm going to try it for this one session to see if it works out.

Steve
Old 03-30-2023, 11:55 AM
Avid

Yes you can have Carbon connected to your computer at the same time as other audio devices, including HDX or HD Native. Pro Tools can only have one device selected as its Playback Engine at a time. It sounds like that will work for you, but if you do want to use a device's I/O while it is not the Playback Engine then you can access it via Aux I/O.

You should not need to disconnect or disable the Carbon in order to switch your Pro Tools Playback Engine to the HD Native, unless you mean that you need to physically free up the Thunderbolt port on your Mac.
Old 04-01-2023, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmajors View Post
Yes you can have Carbon connected to your computer at the same time as other audio devices, including HDX or HD Native. Pro Tools can only have one device selected as its Playback Engine at a time. It sounds like that will work for you, but if you do want to use a device's I/O while it is not the Playback Engine then you can access it via Aux I/O.

You should not need to disconnect or disable the Carbon in order to switch your Pro Tools Playback Engine to the HD Native, unless you mean that you need to physically free up the Thunderbolt port on your Mac.
It doesn't work for me unless I disconnect the Ethernet from the computer that goes to the carbon. I'm using a new Mac Studio. I'm using an adapter from thunderbolt 2 to thunderbolt 4 to connect the HD Native.

Steve
Old 04-07-2023, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extreme Mixing View Post
It doesn't work for me unless I disconnect the Ethernet from the computer that goes to the carbon. I'm using a new Mac Studio. I'm using an adapter from thunderbolt 2 to thunderbolt 4 to connect the HD Native.

Steve
I suppose that make sense since If the ethernet is connected it will want to use the carbon

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...